Scotty Kilmer: Don't use MMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are talking about Scotty here; if catalytic converter gets bad, he already has a remedy to fix it :)

Actually his remedy has worked for quite a few folks.

Wife and I have been using it at the rate of around 4 oz per 10 gallons of gasoline at every fill starting when the first tank of gas is added onward with no issues or catalytic converter problems for many years and in many vehicles.

it has been used in piston driven aircraft engines for years and years too.

MMO certainly has its uses. I use it to preserve carburetors during storage, and have often dumped it down the carb of a running engine just prior to shutdown to coat the intake and cylinders for long-term storage. I can believe its a safe solvent for slow engine de-gunking.

But why, please tell me why, would anyone put an octane-reducer in fuel on a routine basis??? Light oils of any sort SIGNIFICANTLY suppress octane. As discussed on another thread here very recently, distillates like kersone and diesel have octane ratings in the ~40 range, compared to 87 for unleaded gasoline. MMO petroleum distillate content is certainly similar, and in any concentration that could have a lubricating effect it WILL also reduce the octane rating of the fuel appreciably.

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
I usually watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube, and noticed he commented that you shouldn't use MMO in a modern car because it ruins the catalytic converter. Is there any truth to this?

If you check the FAQ on the MMO Website it says:

Q: Will MMO cause any damage to oxygen sensors, fuel sensors or catalytic converters?

A: No. MMO has undergone rigorous testing to ensure the safety of all internal components in your vehicle including highly-sensitive oxygen sensors, fuel sensors and catalytic converters.

Catalytic converters are expensive to replace, so they probably did test in this area.

The most likely 'harm' would be a P0420 CEL code - low catalytic converter efficiency. The problem with P0420 codes (and the whole rear oxygen sensor thing) is that many car companies include the rear oxygen sensor simply to comply with OBDII. They don't use it for anything. If anything burps in the catalytic converter, you might get a P0420 code. It might be something serious but more likely just the quirk of how your ECU is programmed.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Unsure if it will ruin the cat, but its snake oil for sure!

Have you ever used it? As an oil or fuel additive? Results?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
If you use it in the oil- no problem.

Except that this was a fuel additive question.

If you put it in fuel, it does a number of questionable things, such as put a heavier unburned HC load on the catalyst, CAUSE carbon build-up on exhaust valves, lower effective octane, etc.

Where do you get this? Have you ever tried it as a fuel additive?

From first hand experience, it reduces carbon build-up on valves - pretty effective in that department. Both your 66 Polara and 69 Coronet might like it.

MMO certainly has its uses. I use it to preserve carburetors during storage, and have often dumped it down the carb of a running engine just prior to shutdown to coat the intake and cylinders for long-term storage. I can believe its a safe solvent for slow engine de-gunking.

But why, please tell me why, would anyone put an octane-reducer in fuel on a routine basis??? Light oils of any sort SIGNIFICANTLY suppress octane. As discussed on another thread here very recently, distillates like kersone and diesel have octane ratings in the ~40 range, compared to 87 for unleaded gasoline. MMO petroleum distillate content is certainly similar, and in any concentration that could have a lubricating effect it WILL also reduce the octane rating of the fuel appreciably.

It's a handy lightweight oil for when I don't want to deal with the smell of ATF (cat pee smell) or use waste oil for something.

I have used it for:
- Removing plastidip
- Putting some in a carb and spark plug well
- Light lubrication

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: JR
LOL. i have been using it for a decade or better, never have had a problem.
ken

Lack of harm does not equal proof of benefit.

Cars have also been driven for decades without using it and run just fine.

Exactly, I have YET to see any testing from MMO with a certified independent lab test that indicates it does ANYTHING beneficial for a modern motor vehicle.

I challenge MMO to provide us with any SAE certified independent lab results that show any benefits... "crickets chirping..."
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Not a bad cutting oil for aluminum either. Great for squeaky hinges. And it smells good. I'll use better products for cleaning my fuel system but I don't see a problem using it to "fog" an engine for storage or keep a carb from gumming up over the winter.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: JR
LOL. i have been using it for a decade or better, never have had a problem.
ken

Lack of harm does not equal proof of benefit.

Cars have also been driven for decades without using it and run just fine.

Exactly, I have YET to see any testing from MMO with a certified independent lab test that indicates it does ANYTHING beneficial for a modern motor vehicle.

I challenge MMO to provide us with any SAE certified independent lab results that show any benefits... "crickets chirping..."
crackmeup2.gif

Uh oh.... You made the list by agreeing with me
smile.gif

Looks like a few of the fisherman are out......
Trolling.gif
This one isn't biting right now though. Maybe a change of bait will help? LOL

Because they heard grandpa's stories of how they used this without killing their engine?

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20020916X01610&ntsbno=NYC02LA181&akey=1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I challenge MMO to provide us with any SAE certified independent lab results that show any benefits...

You have yet to see any independent testing for ANY proprietary product. Manufacturers may do the testing but they keep the results to themselves. There may be independent tests of underlying ingredients (e.g. PEA) but for a variety of practical and legal reasons there are no tests of the retail product.

Have you ever used MMO as a fuel additive? What were the results?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Frank (Demarpaint) has been using this stuff for years and AFAIK hasn't put a cat in anything yet.

I put a cat into a doghouse once. It didn't go well.

That's a problem, isn't it? I mean, name some other industry that is allowed to do that. I worked for a company that made (among other things) gas valves. There's no way we could have sold those valves without publishing specific and credible testing results directly demonstrating the valve's operating parameters.

The motor oil companies themselves (at least most of them) have to certify which standards the oil meet. Look at the melee that ensued during Katrina when Mobil had to drop the starburst and donut off their bottles.

Take any industry you want - drugs, food additives, even the water I drink from the tap. All require testing and validation. Why do you suppose the oil and fuel additives get a free pass? They are selling me something that they are telling me will perform a specific function. Why shouldn't they prove that it does what they say it will do?

Originally Posted By: dave5358
You have yet to see any independent testing for ANY proprietary product. Manufacturers may do the testing but they keep the results to themselves. There may be independent tests of underlying ingredients (e.g. PEA) but for a variety of practical and legal reasons there are no tests of the retail product.

Have you ever used MMO as a fuel additive? What were the results?

How does a 4 ounce dose in 10 gallons of gasoline "significantly reduce octane"? By my math, that's a 1/320 ratio, and my back of the envelope calculations for 10 gallons of 87 octane, with a 4 ounce dose of MMO (assuming 40 octane) gives a final octane rating of 86.859 for the resulting 10.03 gallons of fuel.

Anyone have octane ratings for Techron, TC-W3, etc?

Originally Posted By: JJ717
How does a 4 ounce dose in 10 gallons of gasoline "significantly reduce octane"? By my math, that's a 1/320 ratio, and my back of the envelope calculations for 10 gallons of 87 octane, with a 4 ounce dose of MMO (assuming 40 octane) gives a final octane rating of 86.859 for the resulting 10.03 gallons of fuel.

Anyone have octane ratings for Techron, TC-W3, etc?

Hehehe.
Yep its so significant lets hope the engines knock sensors are working properly.

i seem to remember the TC-W3 octane rating also being in the 40 range. at the 640:1 most people run it at, the impact on octane is probably half of that of a bad batch of fuel.

Originally Posted By: JJ717

It doesn't. Just another straw man.

MMO may be good or bad or useful or not... but reduced octane rating has nothing to do with the final verdict.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Trav
Frank (Demarpaint) has been using this stuff for years and AFAIK hasn't put a cat in anything yet.

I put a cat into a doghouse once. It didn't go well.

lol.gif
Good one!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back