Recommendations for Mid-size Sedan, 15-20K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with the Mazda 6, but then I prefer a more engaging drive than a lot of people. If you want to go domestic the Fusion would be my choice.

So, quick update. An observation: when I'm not actually in need of a car, the shopping process is an incredibly slow grind. If nothing else, I realized that I like my current car quite a bit, especially after doing some maintenance and getting "new" wheels/tires.

Okay, that being said, I test drove a Chevrolet Cruze, 1LT trim I believe (it was a used car). I was very surprised by how quiet it was for the class of car it was (mainstream compact). It does quite well crusing on the freeway, not too noisy, ride is generally smooth. Turning, maybe it's the suspension tuning towards "cruise" (ahem) rather than sport, is not as good at slow or even moderate speed turns as the Accord, and the eyeball test says that the Cruze is smaller, dimensionally. The back seat is a smidge too small to pass my test, but could probably make do with my young kids. In a few years, when junior is well into his teen years, he'll have to sit in the front.

Interior trim and pieces are of decent quality, although I would need to take a little time to get used to the button and display positions and style. Chevrolet did a solid job with this car, it's a far cry from the Chevrolets of the past (I owned two Camaros in the 1990s, fwiw).

Originally Posted By: dohnuts
So, quick update. An observation: when I'm not actually in need of a car, the shopping process is an incredibly slow grind. If nothing else, I realized that I like my current car quite a bit, especially after doing some maintenance and getting "new" wheels/tires.

Okay, that being said, I test drove a Chevrolet Cruze, 1LT trim I believe (it was a used car). I was very surprised by how quiet it was for the class of car it was (mainstream compact). It does quite well crusing on the freeway, not too noisy, ride is generally smooth. Turning, maybe it's the suspension tuning towards "cruise" (ahem) rather than sport, is not as good at slow or even moderate speed turns as the Accord, and the eyeball test says that the Cruze is smaller, dimensionally. The back seat is a smidge too small to pass my test, but could probably make do with my young kids. In a few years, when junior is well into his teen years, he'll have to sit in the front.

Interior trim and pieces are of decent quality, although I would need to take a little time to get used to the button and display positions and style. Chevrolet did a solid job with this car, it's a far cry from the Chevrolets of the past (I owned two Camaros in the 1990s, fwiw).

Seeing that it's a 1LT with the non-sport suspension and 16" tires, it's not surprising that it's a marshmallow. The trims with 17" or 18" tires handle noticeably better. And, a Cruze Eco with a stick will handle better while getting 40+ mpg. I have 86k miles on mine. It's been a good car aside from needing two water pumps in the past 10k miles. Both were covered under powertrain warranty since one was a bum part.

I really like the 2014 Accords. My friend recently purchased a "Sport" with 6 speed manual, for around $22K OTD. It's an amazing deal, IMHO.

Just need to +1 the New accord option. You can get an LX manual brand new for under 20k, or a sport for not much more. Massive amount of quality car for the money and the 6MT is really enjoyable. Haggle hard and buy slow and you can be practically given a new Accord and its all USA made.

Thanks again for the replies, all.

So when I went to purchase my Accord, I did look at the then-new 2013 Accords. I did like them a lot, but dealers didn't want to budge on pricing at all from sticker, and it was more than I wanted to spend. I ended up with the Accord I have now because it had really low miles and was clean, plus inexpensive. The current generation Accord is definitely for consideration.

The impetus at looking for a new(er) car now was the big trade in value I've been offered. I did a lot of maintenance and replacement of items recently (oil change, trans fluid flush, new pads and rotors front) and some of my complaints have been resolved. It's still a smidge noisy, but with new wheels and tires the ride and turning have been improved.

The news is that I drove a Verano Turbo! It was recommended to me, after my test drive of the Cruze. I can tell where they've used the same basic car, but the Verano Turbo is really nicely upgraded. It has real, dare I say, Lexus level of quiet and isolation. The turbo does get the wheel a little happy when I get on the go pedal, but it also puts a nice smile on my face. There is attention to detail on the interior bits and trim, and the downside that I found was, as with the Cruze, the back seat.

The new '14 Accord's are certainly quieter than in their past but still, not quietest in class. The seats too are better than in past Accord's but not class leading either. If a stick shift and 4 cyl are even considerations, the Accord SPORT wins hands down
smile.gif

Other cars in this catigory still have higher levels of sound insulation and better seats still. The View Outward in the Accord though, is amazing by todays standards where as other cars are becoming more clostrophobic and in need of a backup camera. The Accord offers a backup camera but I'm not so sure it needs it...nice to have though!

Camry's are what Camry's are! Good solid buys but can be boaring. With so many mid-size cars offering better MPG than some smaller cars, this is deffinately the class to look at.

The Altima is plaigued with issues espeially with the CVT's. Deffinately not the Nissan's of old but, has become one of my favorite cars to drive! Mazda's still have too much road noise but are the handling champs of their class.

The new Ford Fusion has to be one(if not the) best looking cars on the road especially in it's catigory. Haven't driven one yet!

Certainly don't leave out Hyundai/KIA but, their aging and ready for replacement.

Not sure where the Chevy Malibu and Chrysler 200 are in this group but, not my top pics for consideration yet!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back