Rotella T5 10w30 to clean up a 2001 1ZZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Corolla has some varnish on the top end that I can see via the oil fill cap. I got the car with approximately 48K miles and it's now at 60K. I am on my second oil change and will be soon doing the third. For the first two OCI's, I used 15-20% MMO and it looks to be helping. I have a leftover gallon of T5 from the truck I just sold. I was thinking of running this for the summer to help clean the engine. The T5 seems to be a lighter HDEO that still is robust and had lots of detergent.

Any thoughts?

A summer run of this HDEO would do no harm and it might do some cleaning.
Since you have the oil laying around, why not use it?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

+1

I would run it!

i agree as well, a summer run? why not...you will eventually have to rebuild your 1zz-fe though, oil burning will eventually show up, only because of oil return holes in the piston.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
i agree as well, a summer run? why not...you will eventually have to rebuild your 1zz-fe though, oil burning will eventually show up, only because of oil return holes in the piston.

No oil burning as of yet. If it does show up, i'll just add some. I will not rebuild, this car cost my $1500...

Originally Posted By: sw99

No oil burning as of yet. If it does show up, i'll just add some. I will not rebuild, this car cost my $1500...

wow 1500 for 48k? that is a score.

Rebuilt can cost 200-250 in parts total if your handy with a car, there are Full DIY posted online including a video if needed. but ya add oil until you get to 1 quart burned in 500 miles, then a rebuild is totally worth it as it can eventually kills your catalytic convertor/o2 sensors which will kill your gas mileage, these engines are bulletproof otherwise.

Use a Full Synthetic oil to prolong the carbon build on the piston oil rings. If I were you I would do PP or PU in 5w30 @ 7,500-10,000 OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

+1

I would run it!

+2

I just recently bought a 95 Geo Prizm with 125k on it for my beater car. It's spec'd for 10w30. I changed the oil on day one, I already had Supertech syn 10w30 in my stash sothat is what I am using. Its running smooth. If u run T5, let us know how it does for cleaning. I wouldnt have a problem using T5.

wow 1500 for 48k? that is a score.

Rebuilt can cost 200-250 in parts total if your handy with a car, there are Full DIY posted online including a video if needed. but ya add oil until you get to 1 quart burned in 500 miles, then a rebuild is totally worth it as it can eventually kills your catalytic convertor/o2 sensors which will kill your gas mileage, these engines are bulletproof otherwise.

Use a Full Synthetic oil to prolong the carbon build on the piston oil rings. If I were you I would do PP or PU in 5w30 @ 7,500-10,000 OCI.

Yea I got a plan for those tiny return holes... After I clean it up a bit, I'm going to run PP 0w20 just because people say I cant. My theory is thinner oil, better cold flow, synthetic cleaning properties and I can stretch out my OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back