Purolator PureONE PL10241 *torn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut open the PL10241 off my 08 Toyota 4Runner and found 4 definite tears and a 5th one starting. The pics suck but then again I suck at taking pics ha ha. Anyways I only had 3,000 miles on this filter and did the oil change sooner than usual as I was curious after all these filter tears I have been seeing on here. It is definitely torn and that filter media is so very brittle it's no wonder it happened. I got this filter in some oil change special I believe, but wont be using them in the near future after this happened on such a short change in one of the "premium" filters. Very disappointed to say the least.

I used the oversized PL20195 on my Tacoma when I had it. I wonder now if those were tearing too. I imagine so.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
How is this affecting the Motorcraft filters made by puroilator?

No reported tears in Motorcraft filters.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I used the oversized PL20195 on my Tacoma when I had it. I wonder now if those were tearing too. I imagine so.

No reports of Purolator 20195 tearing. Open the link in the first post in the thread below to see the Excel spreadsheet of recorded torn filters.

Link: List of Torn Purolator Filters

Honestly, I don't think Purolator cares. We are such a small portion of users here on BITOG. The majority of people just buy them and use them and never know.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Honestly, I don't think Purolator cares. We are such a small portion of users here on BITOG. The majority of people just buy them and use them and never know.

I'm beginning to think the same... It's a shame...they have/had a lot of supporters on this site.. myself included...
But it's just not the issue with the failures, I understand that things happen..but it's their lack of caring for me that's the let down.

Originally Posted By: Cooper

That's why I don't buy them anymore. Customer service goes a long ways these days.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
A pretty old one ... made Oct 22, 2009.

So this may have been going on for nearly 5 years now??? Zikes!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
A pretty old one ... made Oct 22, 2009.

So this may have been going on for nearly 5 years now??? Zikes!

This one I found back in May 2011 had a date code of F08A26D1 = 8/26/2009. Doesn't say so in the thread linked below, but I looked it up in my oil change records. So yeah, even filters made back in 2009 had some tearing going on.
shocked.gif

Link: Torn Classic Found in May 2011

I don't see the tears, I believe it though. Could the next person that sees one of these stick a light in the element so we can see what's going on?

I won't say I was a loyal Purolator user, but I had a small stash of 6 PureOne filters that I no longer have. I will no longer use them. I have also told everyone I know that does their own oil changes to stay away from them as well and showed them the proof. I am now using Wix filters until proven that there is something better out there.

Originally Posted By: oaklandish_wrx
hmmm, got a PL14476 used for 5400 miles and a PL 14460 @ ~6000 miles....gonna make me check now.

the 14476 dated from march 2011 looks ok...gonna check again tomorrow now that I know where to look specifically. Overall the filter looks in great shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back