Which 1911 9mm to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a bigtime buy American guy, and was interested in a US made 9mm 1911 5" barrel pistol. Of course, cost is an issue, but would like to get the best "bang for the buck" (LOL pardon the pun). I heard the Springfield Armory Range Officer is partially made in Brazil, but the Kimber was all American. I will be using the gun for target shooting only, so adjustable sights would be better, but not a deal breaker if it doesn't have them. These dang things are expensive, but man do they shoot well. Suggestions please. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Do they make them in 9mm?

Good call, they do not make a 9mm unless you want a concealable/shortened barrel.

How about the Remington 1911R1 Enhanced?

I've been most pleased with my R1 in .45ACP.

Originally Posted By: otis24
A good alternative would be a Browning Hi Power. Something to consider.

He wants a pistol made in America, the Hi Power has always been made overseas in Belgium and/or Portugal if I recall correctly.

You can always buy a Colt in 38 Super and have a pistol smith convert it to 9mm.

Springfield no longer sources pistols or parts from Imbel (brazil), they say they are USA made now. They won't tell you who or where they source the forgings from, but have confirmed USA and no longer brazil at SHOT and via telephone. There is still plenty of outdated information out there though.

Range Officer is IMO best bang for the buck in a 9mm full size 1911 if you don't care that it looks like it was finished by a blind man with a stone ax.

Dan Wesson PM9 best semi regular production. Harder to find, more expensive, and better finished by a mile...

Colt doesn't currently build a 9mm other than the Defender, but has in the past, last time was a run of O1992's for Talo about 2012ish.

Converting a O2991/O2091 Super 38 is a good option, but professionally fitting a barrel is going to cost $300ish...

How about a 9mmX23mm. Not real common but one heck of a shooter with the oomph of the .357.

Just a thought

Smoky

Silverado: just curious and not judging, do you want to buy American just because you want your money to stay within our borders, or do you believe there is an intrinsic quality difference?

For the former, I would say that I understand this completely. Just be certain you know if it is assembled here as opposed to manufactured here (or maybe it's both).

For the later, obviously there are plenty of good firearms companies outside of the US.

Last edited:
Dparm, I lost a manufacturing job about 10 years ago, and I am very loyal to the American workers who still have a job. Generally, for the price you pay, Anerican quality is as good as any, maybe better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back