Castrol Edge 5w-30 vs Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me which oil is better for my car, they are both BMW-LL01 which is what I need (e90 325i) But what I'm interested is in cold start, flow rate, lubrication and durability of the oil as I change it every 15,000KM'S/1 Year. I have a bit of a tick which is quite common on the N52 and believe that surely a oil that flows better and lubricates better overnight would stop the lifter tick that sometimes happens in the mornings.
clCyONl.png

5yQaVmr.png

The Valvoline looks better on paper, but I'd say a 5w30 would meet your requirements better. Why not compare 2 LL-01 oils of the same grade? Truth is specs on paper and real world performance can be 2 different things.

The lighter oil will flow better on start up. Since they both meet your car specifications, you can choose between the two, or you could use them one after the other and see if you hear any diffeencein the startup noise. My guess is you will not be able to tell any difference.

The reason I'm comparing these two is that the castrol 5w-40 is a bit more expensive, where as these two cost about the same and are in the sweet spot. I think I'll give the 5w-30 oil a chance as I know BMW and castrol are long time partners and it is one of the only oil's in Australia of this weight that is LL01 if the ticking stops I'll stick to the oil, if it's the same I'll try the valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Aleks
The reason I'm comparing these two is that the castrol 5w-40 is a bit more expensive, where as these two cost about the same and are in the sweet spot. I think I'll give the 5w-30 oil a chance as I know BMW and castrol are long time partners and it is one of the only oil's in Australia of this weight that is LL01 if the ticking stops I'll stick to the oil, if it's the same I'll try the valvoline.

I thought that may be the case. Helix Ultra 5w40 is another option. Mobil Super 3000 5w40 is probably the cheapest LL-01 out there.

Originally Posted By: supercity

I thought that may be the case. Helix Ultra 5w40 is another option. Mobil Super 3000 5w40 is probably the cheapest LL-01 out there.

I had a look at the helix ultra and it seems to be on par with all the other oils of that grade. I haven't found any yet that have a lower or even the same viscosity @40 and @100 as the castrol edge. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Originally Posted By: r2d3
... what I'm interested is in cold start, flow rate, lubrication and durability of the oil as I change it every 15,000KM'S/1 Year

Why not a 0W-XX oil, like this one: http://www.mobil1.com.au/products/product_0W40.aspx#.U4btB_l_vbM

Because this oil in Australia is $100 for 5L and I need 6.5, so I essentially have to spend $200 on an oil change.

crazy2.gif

What about this Shell Ultra ? I'm really worried about going to the castrol oil for the following Reasons:

1. Meets SL, doesn't meet SM and SN apparently because of phosphorus levels in the oil.
2. Australia is quite a hot place in Summer. I'm talking about 38 degrees/100 Fahrenheit (plus) is quite common and BMW engines run pretty hot. For example when I park my car in winter (if you can call it that lol) it will sufficiently warm up the garage.

Here are the Helix Ultra specs, tell me what you think compared to the valvolvine one, I'll post valvoline image again just so its easy to compare.

Shell:
Jdwkqgx.png

Valvoline:
5yQaVmr.png

Last edited:
Because this oil in Australia is $100 for 5L and I need 6.5, so I essentially have to spend $200 on an oil change.

Over here Synpower 5W-40 is $42.96 from Amazon for a 6-pack + free shipping.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Over here Synpower 5W-40 is $42.96 from Amazon for a 6-pack + free shipping.

The price I gave is for Mobile 1 0w-40. Synpower 5w-40 here is around $68 as is the Shell Ultra 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back