Stihl FS38 or FS45 trimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between the Stihl FS38 and the FS45 string trimmer?
So far all I have found is that the FS38 is a newer model.

I am replacing a very old Weed Eater brand FeatherLite Plus trimmer that is completely wore out. It looks like Weed Eater does not make any thing like my old machine so I am looking at the Stihl.

I dont think they make the FS45 any more.

Do you have a good Stihl dealer?

Originally Posted By: dave123
If I was to look at one in that size it would be a Tanaka TBC-240FCS.

I agree with Tanaka as a great brand, But that one is discontinued.

Also the Stihl is Only $130.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: dave123
If I was to look at one in that size it would be a Tanaka TBC-240FCS.

I agree with Tanaka as a great brand, But that one is discontinued.

Also the Stihl is Only $130.

Wise Sales shows they have them in stock.

I have had many Stihl products including the FS45. Stihl makes a quality product and for the avg homeowner, you can't go wrong for the price and availability of accessories. I owner numerous properties that I also maintain and my Stihl lineup has never let me down. I do however, have a fairly stringent OPE maintenance program.

Thanks for all the help.

There are 3 Stihl dealers within a 30 mile radius so hopefully I can go look soon.

If you are tall find an fs46. They are the same as the 45 only longer.

Looks like the 45 and 46 have been discontinued. It looks like the fs36 is a tuned down version of the 45. It has the same engine that all the small homeowner stuff has.

Originally Posted By: ron350
Thanks for all the help.

There are 3 Stihl dealers within a 30 mile radius so hopefully I can go look soon.

Nice to have options!

I'll throw in my personal favorite Trimmer: Toro

I have two of the powerheads and 4 attachments.

Other ones worth looking in to is Echo with the great Kioritz engines.

Last edited:
I've had an FS38 for 10 years or so, works great. I've gone through one string head and one bottom bush...and the prime bulb went ages ago but haven't bothered to replace it. I also have the plastic blade head when I had to clear some well over grown stuff.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Go with a Stihl. Forget the Tanaka, Toro, Echo, [censored]...

You can thank me later.

It depends on your needs, If you don't use the trimmer too much then a $130 Stihl is just fine.

You can thank me later.

It depends on your needs, If you don't use the trimmer too much then a $130 Stihl is just fine.

Uh...... Ok?

You can thank me later.

Uh...... Ok?

Yeah.

There are a lot of trimmers out there that are way better than a $130 Stihl.

Again, It depends on personal needs.

I have currently (bought new) a Stihl FS45 ($150) and an Echo SRM-210 ($200). The Echo outclasses the Stihl in every conceivable manner possible. It's almost a joke how much better the Echo is than the Stihl FS45.

The only pro's on the Stihl are that it runs good and starts easy. But the echo does that too, has a much better handle, a much better straight shaft, better ergonomics, better bump head, quieter engine.

Seriously, don't even think about buying that lower end Stihl. Their straight shaft commercial models are the bees knees, but the curved shaft homeowner models suck (in my personal experience)

The Echo SRM-225 is the newer model that replaced my SRM-210 and is currently selling for $199. That is a solid, dependable unit and is where I would spend my money if I was you.

Also, I have used a $200 Hitachi trimmer and it is every bit as good as the $300-$350 Echo and Stihl commercial units. Hitachi and Tanaka are the same company and all of their equipment is commercial rated. They are very under rated in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back