Could T6 be the best oil out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will post my UOA numbers tomorrow but I just dumped the T6 in my Cummins diesel at over 18K. Almost no change from 11K when I just sampled and no change (iron went from 19 to 26). The TBN was 5.86 (no change from 11K). Viscosity 14.6 cSt @ 100C.

I'll give 1/3 of the credit to Cummins making a great engine and 2/3 to the T6 oil. I will cut open the Bosch D+ filter, it went the 18K.

t6 0w40 is probably the best oil(I believe shell changed the formula a bit to meet the extreme)is there a voa of the 0w40 variety?

T6 0w-40 hasn't been seen in the U.S. yet as far as I know.

I'm fond of the 5w-40 too. I've used it in all sorts of motors with good success. Maybe I'll put it in the Forester one day to see if there's any noticeable difference in fuel economy... and it'll give BITOG something to panic about.

Seriously though, shouldn't you be putting 0w-20 in that Cummins? :)

Originally Posted By: Donald
I will post my UOA numbers tomorrow but I just dumped the T6 in my Cummins diesel at over 18K. Almost no change from 11K when I just sampled and no change (iron went from 19 to 26). The TBN was 5.86 (no change from 11K). Viscosity 14.6 cSt @ 100C.

I'll give 1/3 of the credit to Cummins making a great engine and 2/3 to the T6 oil. I will cut open the Bosch D+ filter, it went the 18K.

T6 is definitely some good stuff. If I remember correctly it was one of the first applications for SOPUS' XHVI base oil, but I haven't kept up with its latest iterations.

No, its fake synthetic stealing dollars out of your pocket for some black, dino crude that they lie to you about. How could you ever put that stuff in your engine when its no different than Grp I base? Your engine just wont last unless it has PAO and POE because fake synthtic is just no good.

LOL

wink.gif

P.S. Im liking the chevron Delo 5w-40 as well.

I don't own anything with a diesel engine, but I run T6 in all my OPE and ATVs. If I had a diesel engine, it would probably have T6 in it.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I don't own anything with a diesel engine, but I run T6 in all my OPE and ATVs. If I had a diesel engine, it would probably have T6 in it.

Its not any diesel engine. Its a Cummins.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Your engine just wont last unless it has PAO and POE because fake synthtic is just no good.

LOL

wink.gif

Now that you mention it, Chevron's testing of the Rotella did indicate some PAO content, but not as much as in Delvac 1. So, that lets me be a snob, even though it doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

The conventional 15w-40 is more shear resistant and far superior in my testing of it in shared sump equipment,unless trying to extend the intervals to the extreme.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
grou 4 oil that are good are rare,i aint even sure if the delvac1 le 5w30 is a group 4 oil(my favorite)

Co-op here has a pao formulated 0w-40 for 28 a gallon. It's the best dollar for dollar diesel oil out there.
It's basically slightly more costly than conventional but is almost 100% pao. I think it's only got enough group 2 to attain additive solubility.
Iirc it's got a pour point of -68.
And 5 gallon pails are cheap.

Although we have no good comparisons, I'd say that T6 works very well in your truck's engine.
The UOA you posted is amazing given the miles run.
TBN is still strong with no adds and none of the wear metals look to be out of line.
How much oil does this Cummins hold?
Whatever, you certainly got your money's worth out of it.

I remember in the 1990's a company here with Dodge Cummins pickups going 50k oil changes using LE 15w-40. They also used LE 10w-30 in the manual tranny's to save the bearings. Just saying....

I've had TDT in my '06 in my sig since 2011-the SAME OIL! I don't run many miles, but other than replacing a filter every 18 months or so & topping it off, the UOAs are still coming back "OK for continued use". The '02 HO 5.9 I had before this one (similar to the OP) was even easier on oil than the '06, would take 7-8K to even start to turn black! Now if the rest of the truck was as good...

Use to use it in the 5W40 flavor for 10K oci's my late wife's 2005 Volkswagen TDI instead of the 505.01 VW oil. The car ran really strong on it (for a 1.9L 50mpg turbo-diesel, lol).

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Nice, I'm looking for info and opinions here on that oil in a new 6.7 Cummins.

I'm already using the Delo 400 5w-40 in a couple other rigs, so using it a new Cummins is convenient.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

How much oil does this Cummins hold?

Three gallons is standard on the 6.7 liter.

I believe the OP's 5.9 has the same oil capacity.

Can't intelligently speak to the Rotella, but I was using the Delo 5w40 in my Detroit 60 and got some unexplained shearing going on. Viscosity was dropping to a 30 wt in normal OEM intervals. Since then, I went over to the Schaeffer 9000 and do not get the shearing and am able to almost double the OEM recommended drain intervals.

Have no explanation why the Delo was shearing. One of life's little mysteries. But I get the Schaeffer delivered to my door, complete with free oil sample kits and analysis, for the same price I was getting the Delo at wally world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back