Use mb 229.5 oil in VW 504 Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if I can use mb 229.51 oil in a vw that requires 504/507 oil, it is a petrol so it does not have a DPF, so would a low ash oil like mb 229.5 oil do any harm to the car? The reason I ask is because I can get the oil at a cheaper price than 504/507 oil. The 504/507 oil's are 5w30 while the 229.51 oils are 5w40, would the extra weight do any harm?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: super_slav
so would a low ash oil like mb 229.5 oil do any harm to the car?

You're mixing up specs here. MB 229.5 is not a low ash spec. 229.51 is.

Quote:
The reason I ask is because I can get the oil at a cheaper price than 504/507 oil. The 504/507 oil's are 5w30 while the 229.51 oils are 5w40, would the extra weight do any harm?

Is the car under warranty? If so, I'd stick to what the owner's manual calls for. If not, and if the car has no DPF, then I'd run MB 229.5 oil in it, not 229.51. 229.5 has a stronger add pack.

You should be able to use a MB 229.51 approved oil where a VW 504.00 is specified. If you don't have a DPF then you don't need to worry about ash load in the filter. I would personally prefer a 5W-40 over VW's mandated 5W-30.

This being said, I periodically use MB approved Mobil-1 ESP 5W-40 (a 229.51 oil) in my VW TDI that specifies VW 507.00. At 5 years of ownership it's not caused any issues thus far.

Originally Posted By: supercity
229.51 is a diesel only spec as far as I know. What oil do you want to use and what other specs does it have?

According to MB Au can use on both engines.

MB 229.51
• 5W-30 premium synthetic engine oil
• Formulated with low content of sulphur, phosphorous and ash-forming components
Suitable for:
• Mercedes-Benz diesel engines* with/without diesel particulate filters
• Select Mercedes-Benz petrol engines
• * Note: this oil is not suitable for the Mercedes-Benz G350 BlueTEC. MB 229.51 BlueTEC must only be used for the G350 BlueTEC.

I will be voiding the warranty next service when I change the oil myself because of the laws in Australia, you need to be a licences mechanic to keep the warranty but I cannot justify $400 for a oil change and am doing it myself. The oil I was referring too is mb 229.5, the 5w40 one, My car is a Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi, so the higher ash content wont damage my engine, so since I do not have a DPF I can use any fully synthetic oil?

Last edited:
That is a 229.51 oil, previously you were asking about 229.5. Given the small price difference why not use ESP 5w30 which is VW504 approved? There are other VW504 oils around that are not too expensive.

VW504 and 229.5(1) are all very good oils, I'm sure they will work well in just about any passenger car. As for the exact difference, we don't know. Technically the wrong spec wont meet all the manufacturers requirements.

I will be voiding the warranty next service when I change the oil myself because of the laws in Australia, you need to be a licenses mechanic to keep the warranty but I cannot justify $400 for a oil change and am doing it myself. The oil I was referring too is mb 229.5, the 5w40 one, My car is a Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi, so the higher ash content wont damage my engine, so since I do not have a DPF I can use any fully synthetic oil?

It's very stupid law.

Over here you only need to have document(s) showing that you use the right oil and filter and change it at reasonable interval.

If an engine failed because you use gear fluid or ATF ... instead of correct oil grade then it would void the warranty.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I will be voiding the warranty next service when I change the oil myself because of the laws in Australia, you need to be a licenses mechanic to keep the warranty but I cannot justify $400 for a oil change and am doing it myself. The oil I was referring too is mb 229.5, the 5w40 one, My car is a Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi, so the higher ash content wont damage my engine, so since I do not have a DPF I can use any fully synthetic oil?

It's very stupid law.

Over here you only need to have document(s) showing that you use the right oil and filter and change it at reasonable interval.

If an engine failed because you use gear fluid or ATF ... instead of correct oil grade then it would void the warranty.

I'm not sure if I believe that. I would like to see the written law.

Most Australians still think you must have your car serviced by the dealer to meet warranty requirements, but that is of course not true. You do need a licence to service or repair vehicles in exchange for payment, but you can service your own car without a licence.

It stands to reason if you are suitably qualified or experienced to service a car it would stand up in court, but manufactures will try anything to get out of paying.

Ok, I better stick to the 204 oil, I just heard somewhere that they had a poor additive package. What is a 504 oil with a better than average additive packaging, I was looking at exotic oils that are imported and cannot buy in Australia to see how good they are. Are repsol any good with motor oil for cars?

http://www.repsol.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/elite-long-life-5070050400-5w30-p-60

They have a mid Saps add pack with lower levels of traditional additives and a lower TBN, but it is definitely not a "poor" additive pack. Some people just think less must be worse but it's not that simple.

There is a new Castrol Edge 5w30 available which is VW 504/507, LL-04 approved, not to be confused with the old Castrol Edge A3/B4 which is VW502,505 LL-01 etc.

Im not a big fan of castrol, had the edge 5w30 in my car and the fuel economy was horrible with it literally went from 5l/100km to 6l/100km, stopped as soon as I switched to shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back