Interesting Canadian Firearms case

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's picked a tough row to hoe... His strategy might have worked in Alberta, but I don't think he's going to get enough public support to help him much in Ontario.
Interesting though about laws from before confederation allowing guns for self defence.

I don't pretend to understand the process of law in any country, but it sounds like more government bullying. He has done his time for the crime, and to try to seize his house now because he is vocal smacks of some gov't type that is undesirable. If it was a legitimate seizure, they would have done it when they tried him; now it's double jeopardy, he's being punished twice for the same crime.

The article says specifically that the house WAS used, not that it IS being used for illegal activities; if he started up again, then they would have cause.

Perhaps he should apply for a license again and see what they say.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
He's picked a tough row to hoe... His strategy might have worked in Alberta, but I don't think he's going to get enough public support to help him much in Ontario.
Interesting though about laws from before confederation allowing guns for self defence.

Yup. I think his protest, while perhaps noble in the light of Canada's ridiculous (at the time) implementation of gun control via the long gun registry, was a bit foolish given the potential (and apparently real he discovered) repercussions associated with it when staged in that manner.

Ultimately, the registry cost us nothing but a pile of wasted money (like so many other government efforts), not unlike the green energy vacuum that McGuilty foisted on us, the Ontario College of Trades....etc.

This looks more interesting than engine oil! The rifle in the picture on the front page of the National Post appears to be a .338 Lapua tactal setup worth about $10,000 and costs $4.00 a shot to shoot. The journalists, obviously everything Anne Coultier says they are, used that photo to shock the public. I've never needed a firearm for self defense. I walk in the forest unarmed all the time. A person can own a firearm for what ever purpose they deem fit in Canada as long as they qualify and follow the rules. The gun registry was a pain, was expensive, took away law enforcement resources away from where they were more effective and did not reduce acts of crime that involved firearms. Gen Collin Powell, Sec of State (retired) likely knows a thing or two about firearms. I like his opinion and solutions to the firearms debate that is perpetual in the USA. Not all agree and that is what makes a democracy. People can and do say what they want about the United States of America being the world's police force and so on. What they always seem to leave out is the fact the the USA is and always has been the 1st to respond to natural disasters and human suffering around the world. That is an unselfish act that speaks volumes about the citizens of the USA and their priorities.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
This looks more interesting than engine oil! The rifle in the picture on the front page of the National Post appears to be a .338 Lapua tactal setup worth about $10,000 and costs $4.00 a shot to shoot.

lapua01.jpg

They cost about $3.20 a shot to shoot
wink.gif
And the above tactical rifle was nowhere near $10K (Savage 110BA). Not the same as the one in the picture, but even the Barrett MRAD is only around $6K CDN.

Quote:
The journalists, obviously everything Anne Coultier says they are, used that photo to shock the public.

Probably, and it is sad that it works on people who aren't familiar with guns. But it is a predictable and common tactic.

Quote:
I've never needed a firearm for self defense. I walk in the forest unarmed all the time. A person can own a firearm for what ever purpose they deem fit in Canada as long as they qualify and follow the rules.

Yes, though what those firearms are has limitations, but generally I find the rules up here, now that the registry has been scrapped, pretty decent
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
The gun registry was a pain, was expensive, took away law enforcement resources away from where they were more effective and did not reduce acts of crime that involved firearms. Gen Collin Powell, Sec of State (retired) likely knows a thing or two about firearms. I like his opinion and solutions to the firearms debate that is perpetual in the USA. Not all agree and that is what makes a democracy. People can and do say what they want about the United States of America being the world's police force and so on. What they always seem to leave out is the fact the the USA is and always has been the 1st to respond to natural disasters and human suffering around the world. That is an unselfish act that speaks volumes about the citizens of the USA and their priorities.

thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

I think the cheapest I've paid is around $85.00 for 285 Hornady's for my el-cheapo 995 Sako. The problem is everyone wants to try it out until the barrel is smoking. My wish list is a TRG, I wish the made it in 300 RUM and 26 Nosler to knock the price of shooting down. Those $500.00 days at the range, well I don't have to tell you. When you count up the brass at the end of the day........ouch. Awful expensive gopher-getter. Am I in trouble because this ain't the gun forum?

I think the cheapest I've paid is around $85.00 for 285 Hornady's for my el-cheapo 995 Sako. The problem is everyone wants to try it out until the barrel is smoking. My wish list is a TRG, I wish the made it in 300 RUM and 26 Nosler to knock the price of shooting down. Those $500.00 days at the range, well I don't have to tell you. When you count up the brass at the end of the day........ouch. Awful expensive gopher-getter. Am I in trouble because this ain't the gun forum?

Actually, this IS the gun forum
grin.gif
So nope, no chance of you getting in trouble!

I get 100 for $300 if I buy by the case for the Sellier & Bellot in .338LM, so after tax I'm roughly $3.20/round. What calibre is your 995?

My favourite rifle is my .308. Super accurate, cheap to shoot....etc.

The 995 is a 338 lapua, muzzle brake on the end of a 27" barrel, big black synthetic hunting stock with a 14.5 lop so its a monster. I have about 250 used brass from it, about 100 of it from the original owner. It came with a 25 moa NF rail that fits a TRG. That is why a TRG is on my wish list, I can't have an expensive rail laying around with nothing to put it on. If that makes perfectly good sense to you, then I'm in good company. The scope mounts are opti-lock dove tail. The scope, 4.5-30 6500 is on a 264 win 700 Sendero at the moment, another identical scope is on an M1000 A-Bolt 7MM WSM. I like every thing odd ball and slightly off the main grid such as 325WSM, 6.5X55, 16 guage and so on. When I get around to re loading the Lapua I'm thinking of RL33 or N570 if I can find either of those two powders. Cheers

The 995 is a 338 lapua, muzzle brake on the end of a 27" barrel, big black synthetic hunting stock with a 14.5 lop so its a monster. I have about 250 used brass from it, about 100 of it from the original owner. It came with a 25 moa NF rail that fits a TRG. That is why a TRG is on my wish list, I can't have an expensive rail laying around with nothing to put it on. If that makes perfectly good sense to you, then I'm in good company. The scope mounts are opti-lock dove tail. The scope, 4.5-30 6500 is on a 264 win 700 Sendero at the moment, another identical scope is on an M1000 A-Bolt 7MM WSM. I like every thing odd ball and slightly off the main grid such as 325WSM, 6.5X55, 16 guage and so on. When I get around to re loading the Lapua I'm thinking of RL33 or N570 if I can find either of those two powders. Cheers

I don't have anywhere near that much brass for mine, as I only bought it a few months ago. I'm actually surprised by how little recoil it has
21.gif
Though I guess that's just a sign of the brake doing its job.

I have the same scope (6500 4.5-30) on my .308 and two more of the same family but in 2.5-16 for my .223 and .270. I have a Sidewinder on the .338 but will be looking to swap it out for a 6500 as I like the optics on them better.

I only recently was gifted some wonderful reloading gear and so need to get some dies and the like to start putting together some loads. Will probably work the .308 first and then when I'm comfortable graduate to the .338.

Let me know how your .338 loading goes, as I'd be interested in what you end up using.

cheers3.gif

I don't know whether we imported civil forfeiture laws from you guys or vice versa, but either way, their use has become a scourge upon the public.

It is all too common that property is the result of a civil forfeiture proceeding without anyone being charged with a crime - much less convicted - and the burden of proof is on the property owner to prove a negative.

You can imagine how well that works out for the property owner. And when the authorities get to keep the bulk, if not all of the proceeds, the potential for abuse is intolerable.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

From a legal standpoint, things are a little different up here. We use proceeds of crime legislation. It usually targets drug cases. The authorities involved don't get much more than a high five, though. Assets are seized, and disposed of through Crown assets or other auction, and the investigating agency gets nothing. Until recently, the money just sat there, as the government had no provision to use it. Now, it's earmarked for assisting victims of crime.

There are other seizure and forfeiture provisions, such as firearms involved in offences, smuggling issues, and poaching matters, but those are a bit different.

The family involved is likely watching this discussion, looking for sympathetic negativity. Property crimes in Canada don't carry the death penalty like the may elsewhere, so shooting someone dunk, demented, mentally ill or stoned for stealing the change from your ashtray is low on our list of law enforcement strategies. Curmudgeon law is something Canada and other developed nations are trying to get away from. There are ways of changing the laws in democratic countries and that is with your ballot. Didn't vote? Don't complain.

Overkill, you are from Ontario, so you should know Oliver Town from Kenora. For those who don't know of this famous person this is his story. One day Oliver got the bright idea to rob a bank by strapping stump blasting dynamite to himself walking into the bank and demanding money or he would blow himself and the bank up. He got a large sum of money in a sack and ran outside where the OPP, RCMP and every other PO including the railway bulls were waiting for him. I guess that since he was a human bomb, the cops and every one else would just leave him alone so he could walk home and count his loot. Naturally (3rd base) a stand off ensued the dynamite went off scattering the money and the thief Oliver Town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back