Question about Amsoil and marine applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see amsoil has a couple options for grease with a calcium sulfonate thickener. I thought they used alumuminum complex? Anyhow, for dual use as both outdrive gimble, outboard swivel and boat trailer wheel bearings which would you advise? Looks like the best options are either then polymeric offroad #2, synthetic multiple purpose #2 and the Synthetic Water Resistant grease. Obviously the latter is directly applicable, and the polymeric has a bunch of moly which may leave something to be desired- but is there any real reason to either avoid the polymeric or to select the water resistant above the multipurpose?

As far as I know they used lithium for pretty much all their greases before, including the old water resistant grease. I'm pretty sure you don't want to use anything but the GWR. The formulation is best for a marine environment.

In fact I'm considering using the GWR Synthetic Water Resistant grease for a multipurpose auto/light truck/marine grease.

Well its not amsoil, but i like the aluminum complex base and the price... picked a 3oz tube 3 pack for just over $7, will see how it works.

Any suggestions for removing the old grease? I dont know the brand but believe its one of the marine rated lithium greases.

I have been very happy with Amsoil multipurpose #2 in my automotive suspension/joint/bearing applications from the Canadian winter to the West Texas summer.
When I replenished last month, I find that its now a Calcium Sulfonate formulation, which I hear is a step up from lithium.

Good question.
I’ve not tryed amsoil product. I have only seen that polymerc Amsoil greases are extreme tacky and they have poor pumapbility at low temperature. Amsoil warns about this in TDS.
For some application I have switched from marine lithium to Total Ceran WR2 – calcium sulfonate grease. I like may of properties od this grease – e.g. excellent work in dusty/water environment, EP . But I don’t like the low temperature performance. Note I have not even not try it at winter T>5 Celsius.
Sorry that I cannot give you are clear answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back