2013-2014 Accord 4-cyl Aftermarket Oil Filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I would use the stock size filter. That's a #7317 in Fram speak or #14610 in Purolator speak. Honda's A01 or A02 will both work.

Exactly ... all of those filters have about the same media area as filters used on 400+ HP V8 GM engines (ie, C5+ Vettes). You aren't going to gain anything by going bigger on this engine IMO.

I wouldn't even be thinking of grinding/trimming the engine block area around the filter mount to put larger filters on the engine. Just throw an XG7317 Ultra on it and be done.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
...The question is, can it be trimmed without compromising engine integrity ?

I'm doubtful that it can be "trimmed" enough to fit the 3593A/14459. You can do as you please, but the PL14610 I've used have ~109 sq in. of media. That's a very substantial amount of media and I'm sure the equivalents from other manufacturers are equally good. Just don't think you'll gain much in the way media area or oil capacity to make it worth the effort. My .02.

You guys convinced me to stay with standard size Fram 7317, Wix 57356 ... Unless the clearance surrounding the oil filter of the 2013-2014 Accord Earth Dreams engine is more than previous engine(s).

The full synthetic Ultra XG7317 will flow like nothing is there. I'm running one right now on my '04 Altima V6 for 2x 6,000 OCIs for a total of 12,000 miles of use - well below its 15,000 mile rating.

Should be a cake walk, and like I said, the 7317 and 14610 sized filters have the same amount of flow area as the filter used on my 400+ HP Z06. On your Honda it should be a no-brainer.
thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

My guess is that Honda had a reason for this seemingly useless bit of alloy interference.
I wouldn't trim it.
If anything screams voided engine warranty, cutting metal would be it.
Who did that sloppy trim job you've attached photos of?

The photos are copied from this:
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Honda-Accord-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide/

I don't know if the trim was done by that guy or by Honda, the Honda OEM filter in the first picture with the trim already done.

Is there a Honda filter smaller than 2.7" diameter ?

I doubt Honda is going to trim off metal on the engine block in order to use a larger filter. So the guy had to trim off block metal in order to use a 14610(?). I'm not so sure any trimming of metal was even done, it might be the way it is with the rough edges on the oil pan you see in the photo.

I'm thinking the 14610 or 7317 sized filter is what is called out for that engine in the aftermarket filter applications.

The photos are copied from this:
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Honda-Accord-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide/

I don't know if the trim was done by that guy or by Honda, the Honda OEM filter in the first picture with the trim already done.

Is there a Honda filter smaller than 2.7" diameter ?

Yes that the site I posted. But if you look at the picture I posted, the left portion away from the sump (if that's what it is) has restriction too that wouldn't allow a larger (3593A/14459) to fit. The outer edge (OD) of the Honda blue(A01-A02) and L14610 being used, the gasket area is right to the limit. Quite sure the larger won't fit and what looks like a roughened area is just some product of the picture angle and machining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back