Internet Service Problem or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to say it wasnt a learning experience doing all the troubleshooting..but i think you spent well over 70$ of your time!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It does seem that sometimes if I reboot the modem it will start working for a few minutes, then die again. I'm suspecting the DSL modem might be getting flaky on me. It's not clear to me what exactly is going on yet.

Same problem problem I have had with CenturyLink the last 4 yrs. They send out a new modem and it seems to help for about a year. Same problem resurfaces then they send a new modem and about one yr later back to same problem...seems to be modem related for me.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Not to say it wasnt a learning experience doing all the troubleshooting..but i think you spent well over 70$ of your time!

I like to dig in and test stuff, so it was a learning experience. And thanks to all who gave me insight and suggestions on the trouble-shooting.

Got the new modem yesterday, so will get that installed and tested out in the next few days. I did find out however that this new Actiontec GT784WN may not work with CenturyLink if they have switched over to "VDSL technology" on their DSL service in my neighborhood - supposedly the next step in technology after ADSL-2. I didn't find that out until after I ordered the modem. But I'm thinking since my 6+ year old modem still does work, that my IP hasn't went to the new VDSL technology yet ... will see.

That would be correct. If you were upgrade to VDSL2, you'd have been given a new modem as your old one is just ADSL2+.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That would be correct. If you were upgrade to VDSL2, you'd have been given a new modem as your old one is just ADSL2+.

CenturyLink never gave me a modem in the beginning - I bought the one I'm using now (the flaky one) from Best Buy years ago.

But I would expect that if CenturyLink was going to update their DSL technology to VDLS in my neighborhood they would have given me some kind of heads-up notice (?) ... I would hope so anyway.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

CenturyLink never gave me a modem in the beginning - I bought the one I'm using now (the flaky one) from Best Buy years ago.

But I would expect that if CenturyLink was going to update their DSL technology to VDLS in my neighborhood they would have given me some kind of heads-up notice (?) ... I would hope so anyway.

Yes. And the two technologies can co-exist BTW. a VDSL2 DSLAM/Remote can still provide ADSL2+.

*** Update ***

Got the new Actiontec GT784WN DSL modem/router setup and working. Did some speedtest.net runs and it looks pretty good. Getting consistent 1.30Mbps download, 0.75Mbps upload with 55ms ping, which is about as fast as I'm going to see with the service/speed I pay for.

Modem seems to run barely warm, which is good. Will see if its performance stays consistent over long use periods, I'm betting it will.

Here's to hoping your new M/R solves your problems!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
So, I'm assuming all is well now with the new modem?

Yes, everything seems to be back working well with a new modem.
thumbsup2.gif
I've ran speedtest.net many times since the new modem was installed, and it's always consistent at around 1.30 Mbps download, 0.80 Mbps upload and 55 ms ping. That's as good as I can expect with the service level I have.

Thanks to all who helped me out with the trouble-shooting. As the thread shows, it wasn't always black & white symptoms pointing to the modem being flaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back