Recommendations for 2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought an 06 Volvo XC90 w/ 86K on the clock. I bought it from a Ford dealer who does oil changes on all used vehicles before they sell them. I'm assuming they used bulk 5w or 10w-30. It's coming up on 3000 since I bought it so I'm getting ready to change the oil and do a drain and fill on the tranny with Toyota T-IV ATF. I was going to go with QS Ultimate Durability 5w-30 FS or Super Tech 5w-30 FS...got a jug of each sittin in the garage.
I already have several Mann cartridges and one Purolator. I'm in Southeast PA. Any recommendations,preferences, experiences UOAs for the 2.5T? Thanks!

Last edited:
Basically the same engine as in my Volvos.

I would recommend reading this TNN (service bulletin): http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/01-23-09/TNN,%20Lubrication%20System%20Contamination%20Cleaning.pdf

In which an ACEA synthetic is recommended. From the UOAs on my own cars, a good ACEA oil like M1 0w40 holds up for the factory 7,500 interval.

Make certain that you do the timing belt on schedule, it's an interference engine. Further, the "flame trap" or PCV system tends to sludge up around 100K miles. Best to replace the whole thing. If you've got an oil leak, most likely it's due to a failed PCV system, not the seals. Left untouched, it will kill the seals, and you're just in for more grief.

I recommend the Volvo XC forum http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/ as they've got great how to guides, and very active members that have experienced everything that you will...

Cheers
Astro

Any full synthetic 5w-30 should be fine in that year-round, with 5k OCIs. You can try the recommended 7,500, but 5k will keep it cleaner.

You can use M1 0w-40 in it, but I don't think you'll need it.

Avoid the bulk and conventionals in these unless you are running much shorter OCIs. Dealers were dropping bulk 5w-30 in these for 7,500 and that's not a good idea.

If you're unsure of the oil change history, a couple of short changes is not a bad idea. Avoid solvent cleaners in it. Regular changes with higher grade oils will reduce the risk of the problems in the above TNN.

Best dealer for Volvo service in our area is Keystone Berwyn.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Basically the same engine as in my Volvos.

I would recommend reading this TNN (service bulletin): http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/01-23-09/TNN,%20Lubrication%20System%20Contamination%20Cleaning.pdf

In which an ACEA synthetic is recommended. From the UOAs on my own cars, a good ACEA oil like M1 0w40 holds up for the factory 7,500 interval.

Make certain that you do the timing belt on schedule, it's an interference engine. Further, the "flame trap" or PCV system tends to sludge up around 100K miles. Best to replace the whole thing. If you've got an oil leak, most likely it's due to a failed PCV system, not the seals. Left untouched, it will kill the seals, and you're just in for more grief.

I recommend the Volvo XC forum http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/ as they've got great how to guides, and very active members that have experienced everything that you will...

Cheers
Astro

Thanks Astro. I'm told by the local Volvo dealership that the timing belt is at 120K ...I checked it out on the XC forums and confirmed. I figure the PCV system will need to be replaced in 10K or so too. Chasing a trans cooler drip now. Probably a bad O ring. Not losing much...maybe a shot glass/month.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Any full synthetic 5w-30 should be fine in that year-round, with 5k OCIs. You can try the recommended 7,500, but 5k will keep it cleaner.

You can use M1 0w-40 in it, but I don't think you'll need it.

Avoid the bulk and conventionals in these unless you are running much shorter OCIs. Dealers were dropping bulk 5w-30 in these for 7,500 and that's not a good idea.

If you're unsure of the oil change history, a couple of short changes is not a bad idea. Avoid solvent cleaners in it. Regular changes with higher grade oils will reduce the risk of the problems in the above TNN.

Best dealer for Volvo service in our area is Keystone Berwyn.

Thanks Volvohead. My XC90 was purchased by the PO from Keystone in Doylestown when they were still there and serviced by them for several years according to Carfax. I'll probably go to Stillman though unless you've heard horror stories.

I'll go with the QS then. I only use synthetic in turbo cars as a rule(have two Saab 9-5s). For the record this is my 5th Volvo. Have had good runs with the others but they were RWD bricks...9series...and one 850 which was a PoS.

Last edited:
Stillman's a good dealer, with good service.
I bought our second R from them.

Berwyn has a slight edge for service, though. You shouldn't need that with an XC.

Best of luck with it.

Originally Posted By: Toros
Chasing a trans cooler drip now. Probably a bad O ring. Not losing much...maybe a shot glass/month.

Likely from a past trans service where the seals were not replaced, saving someone fifty cents.

When I had my 06 XC90 2.5t I used mostly PP and PU 5w-30 at 7500 mile intervals. Used super tech synthetic a few times with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back