graphene please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any do graphene ?i know this is awsome in all the ways,the issue?oh where oh where are you graphene additive creator(oil)

I would take say mobil delvac 1 le 5w30 reciepe ,replace pretty much every thickner and zink (equal measure)with graphene ,and voila a nice good oil

Graphene is pure carbon in the form of a very thin, nearly transparent sheet, one atom thick. It is remarkably strong for its very low weight and it conducts heat and electricity with great efficiency. Wikipedia

What is your Question?

Or do you mean Graphite?

I never heard of graphene, is it real? I have heard of graphite in oil. IRRC, an oil with graphite was sold back in the 70s

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Any do graphene ?i know this is awsome in all the ways,the issue?oh where oh where are you graphene additive creator(oil)

I had never heard of graphene until you posted. Wikipedia describes graphene here and potential applications for graphene here. Most of these applications are in electronics and science, but, nowhere is mentioned using it as an additive or friction reducer in lubrication. And, if you were to apply it to lubricants, you might start with greases or paste applications - not motor oil

Graphite comes to mind, but it has not proven useful as an oil additive, at least for the reason that it cannot take high pressures.

Not sure about graphite it is size dependant !wasnt there issue with graphite a few years back.graphene is suposedly a nice natural lubricant (graphite also but quality control about size in the past were issue (or so the urban legend goes)

http://www.anl.gov/articles/graphene-lay...-steel-surfaces
Maybe i read wrong!

No, you read correctly, at least as far as it went. But you might also check this forum or the net for "graphite in motor oil". ARCO Graphite was such a product. ARCO Graphite suffered from serious agglomeration issues, clogged filters and a series of other woes. Worse, graphite simply doesn't withstand pressure, although it is frequently used in low-pressure applications such as lubricating lock mechanisms. From Wikipedia:

"The use of graphite is limited by its tendency to facilitate pitting corrosion in some stainless steel, and to promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (due to its electrical conductivity). It is also corrosive to aluminium in the presence of moisture. For this reason, the US Air Force banned its use as a lubricant in aluminium aircraft, and discouraged its use in aluminium-containing automatic weapons. Even graphite pencil marks on aluminium parts may facilitate corrosion."

Sources are cited in the Wikipedia article. Graphite is a good lubricant for certain applications, but internal engine use applications or even assembly use applications has been very limited. Molybdenum Disulfide is normally used instead - it can withstand extreme pressure and suffers from none of the limitations of graphite.

It is not clear that graphene overcomes these issues, but the proposed uses cited by Argonne Laboratories sound a lot like the existing uses for graphite.

Graphene is simply a single layer of graphite.

t2Qhsq4.png

Graphite is a great lube because the vanderwalls bonds slip easily when a shear is acted on it.

Graphene is extremely strong because you're applying stress directly to the ionic/covalent bonds that make up the crystal structure.

Carbon nanotubes are simply the single layer of graphite rolled into a tube.

Graphene as an antiwear material is still in early research stages, but there is potential to use it as a spray in coating for things like cylinder linings and such.

Use IF WS2 instead. It is in the form of Bucky Baal made up of WS2 molecules. It also fractures and forms even smaller particles. It has characteristics better than pretty much any other metal lubricant (e.g, Moly).

Search this forum for more info.

There is also a Graphene like form of WS2, but I believe it is quite rare if you try to find some. There are indications it may be as good or better than IF WS2.

Last edited:
You better hope mobil doesnt sell this without certification because i will put this in my oil and not sweat one iota .

Gonna be some spendy oil, they're still working on making lab test quantities of graphene with any type of consistency and quality control.

I can understand the principle of a graphene coating. I can't see how it could be used as an ingredient in a finished motor oil, without it being pulverized into amorphous graphite, which, as others have already indicated, we do not want in our motor oil.

nha they found a way to make graphene ,it is like a jet engine thing but the end output is squeezed and it deposit it in film witch can then be used.
http://www.gizmag.com/spray-on-graphene/32315/

That sounds like a great way to treat a surface but not practical for large scale production of bulk product. Still a lot more expensive than other products that are well suited for use as an additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back