2013-2014 Accord 4-cyl Aftermarket Oil Filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which aftermarket oil filter do you use for 2013-2014 Honda Accord 4-cyl ?

Fram recommends TG7317 (D 2.7" x H 3.5") for newer Accord and TG3593A (D 3.0" x H 3.4") for 2002 and older Accord.

Wix recommends 57356(D 2.7” x H 3.4”) for all Accord.

HandA recommends 15400-PLM-A01 for all Accord. What are external dimensions, flow rate, by-pass pressure and gasket dimensions of PLM-A01 ?

According to online owner manual the location of the oil filter is at the bottom of the engine facing up, it looks like too long filter such as Wix 51347 (D 2.9" x H 4.8") may not be a good fit, because the bottom of the filter may be exposed to road debris ?

Also, is it a good idea to use cap wrench to remove/install the filter ? If you do what is cap wrench size and number of flutes ?

Try to get filter from honda asia.as for lenght?as long as oil pan is lowest dont sweat.i ll use drivework because its pretty much what nissan use in asia,but honda filter are some of the best (yes even if made by fram)when a corp like wix or fram produce for say honda ,wix or fram will ask wanted spec from honda.some car maker dont bother but other like honda are fiddler for detail

I would use the stock size filter. That's a #7317 in Fram speak or #14610 in Purolator speak. Honda's A01 or A02 will both work.

I used to use socket cap wrenches to install filters, to get them exactly 3/4 turn, but I just hand tighten them now. They usually come off by hand as well. If they're a little snug, I have a universal rubber strap wrench that eases them free pretty quickly.

Im using the Fram Ultra (TG) and have used Mobil 1 filters. They all work fine. Shop Ebay and you can get the Frams for about $7 each if you buy several.

As mentioned spec size 7317/14610 and that's what I'd go with. Wix/NG updated version spec is the 5/7356 for Honda, changed baseplate from older 1356 spec awhile back. Any equivalent silicone adbv filter should work fine.

I've no preference for either the A01 or A02 though some seem to prefer the former for it's construction 'appearance'. That said, no efficiency spec published for A01 but based on tested A02 ~66%@20um, I'd speculate it's in the same range.

Flow not a concern. As said, any spec size should work nicely.

I have used the OEM Honda Filtech, A01, Fram Ultra XG7317, Purolator PureOne 14610 and the Wix/Napa Gold 57356/7356.

I like the Wix the best. The best construction of the bunch, IMHO. But, I also like the Fram Ultra. Whichever you can get locally would be fine on your Honda.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Im using the Fram Ultra (TG) and have used Mobil 1 filters. They all work fine. Shop Ebay and you can get the Frams for about $7 each if you buy several.

The Ultra is the "XG". The "TG" is the Tough Guard.

Currently I have Fram PH2849A(D 3.0” X L 4.9”) and will be using Wix 51347(D 2.9” X L 4.8”) on the Honda S2000. The filter is about 15-20 degree up from horizon and plenty of room on the side to accommodate the 1.8" longer than OEM.

I like to use the same extra long filter on my daughter '14 Accord if possible, but the online manual seems to indicate that the filter orientation is vertical up from bottom of the engine, the almost 2" longer filter may be too long.

Here's a summary of oil filter applications for my 2007 Ridgeline:

Baldwin B1402
Beck Arnley 041-8135
Bosch 3323 premium filtech
Denso 1501009
Full W0133-1625932
Hastings LF240
K&N PS-1010
Mahle OC707
Mann ML1008
NAPA Gold 7356
Nippon 15400-PLM-A01A
Purolator Classic L14610
Purolator Pure One PL14610
Ultra-8 3612910
Wix 57356

I don't know which of these apps works for your Accord. Try checking prices at www.oscaro.com. From my experience owning Hondas and Acuras for 24 years, I'm partial to the A01 versions made by Baldwin, Hastings and Nippon.

Fram Ultra! Good for two oil changes and very efficient, without sacrificing as much flow as traditional paper filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Fram Ultra! Good for two oil changes and very efficient, without sacrificing as much flow as traditional paper filters.

Is that two MM oil changes or two gregk24 oci's?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
..... Which FU, XG7317 or XG3593A ?

As of the 2008 Accord model 4cyl the 3593A/(14459) was too wide in diameter to fit. The surrounding interference doesn't allow them to be installed. There is a thread here (can't find) with the same link I'm posting below. If the 2014 still has the same mounting area, only the 7317/14610 diameter filter will now fit.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Honda-Accord-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide/

Honda-Accord-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide-015.JPG

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Is that two MM oil changes or two gregk24 oci's?
smile.gif

Very funny
wink.gif
Two MM OCI of course. I am not as obsessive compulsive as I used to be, doing 5-6 month change intervals now. Which is the recommended OCI for this engine before the MM came out. One can not go from 3m/3k to 10K OCI overnight. Besides, its up to the owner how he/she wants to maintain their vehicle.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

As of the 2008 Accord model 4cyl the 3593A/(14459) was too wide in diameter to fit. The surrounding interference doesn't allow them to be installed. There is a thread here (can't find) with the same link I'm posting below. If the 2014 still has the same mounting area, only the 7317/14610 diameter filter will now fit.

Thanks.

Looks like the diameter of the filter is very restricted according to pictures in your link, probably no more than 2.8" max 2.9", the length can be a little longer than 4".

The first 2 oil changes will be performed by a Honda dealer free of charge. I don't need to do it for about 2 years, but my curious get a little ahead of time.

You can also use Motocraft FL810 or if you want one lil larger Motorcaft FL 822

I really like Motorcraft Oil Filters and all the ones I have cut open or seen cut open have looked very good and the price is great.

check out motorcraft

Originally Posted By: sayjac

is one filter really any advantage the 7317 or the bigger 3593a

I use the 7317 b/c the Dealer OEM filter is basically basically a TG 7317 if its a A02

However does 1 have any advantage???

Thanks

Honda-Accord-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide-006.JPG

The right side of these 2 pictures shows the interference of the engine to filter diameter. If that part can be trimmed by 1/8" to 3/16" then a larger diameter filter up to 3"-3.1" can fit, then we have more choices.

Honda-Accord-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide-016.JPG

Same interference location but at different angle, top of picture shows no room for filter with diameter larger than 2.7" without trimming.

The question is, can it be trimmed without compromising engine integrity ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back