liqui moly mos2 additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
I haven't used lubegaurd however I have used everything else and I gotta say I agree with you.
I'm not one to spend good money on stuff that doesn't work,so if I found a product didn't work as advertised I certainly wouldn't spend good money on it.

I know a couple of VERY reputable locally owned transmission shops. In talking to them about transmission rebuilds, BOTH of them told me that they add a bottle of Lubegard Red and install a Magnefine transmission filter on EVERY transmission rebuild they send out the door. After they started doing these two things, they tell me that comebacks have become virtually non-existent.
Shortly after talking with these guys, I helped a friend move a HEAVY trailer across the country with his diesel pickup which has a transmission temperature gauge on it. As we were driving we somehow got into a discussion about additives. I told him what the transmission shops told me about Lubegard and how the manufacturer makes the claim that it lowers transmission temperatures (and by so doing, prolonging the transmission life). We stopped at an auto parts store that we came across along the way and he bought 2 bottles of Lubegard red. He added both of them to his transmission. Sure enough, the transmission temperature gauge started reading about 30-40F cooler after adding it. We were BOTH sold on it right then!
Since then, I have installed Magnefine transmission filters and added Lubegard red to all of my vehicles.

LG Red does lower transmission temps even with full synthetic fluid. I proved it with a scan tool.
I don't remember the exact temp drop but it did drop it enough to make a difference.

Lube Guard, Liqui Moly, BG, Redline, Chevron (Techron), Molykote, Kano Labs and a few others make very good products, no snake oil IMHO.
I must admit i like Lube Guard products a lot, their PS additive works really well also.
As you all know i am not a fan of just using additives for the sake of it but they can be of real benefit in many situations.

I've also heard good things about Lube Guard, but haven't used them. Exactly what does their Red transmission additive do to lower ATF temps?

Originally Posted By: wag123
... the transmission temperature gauge started reading about 30-40F cooler after adding it. ...

If the torque converter clutch was engaged near full time in both situations, with similar loads and ambient temperatures, that is a staggering difference I can't fathom assuming proper ATF was already in there.

I got Lubegard Bio-Tech in my '98 Saturn SC2 "Red Hot".

Noticed the engine rev's up more free & easy; kind of like accelerating down a hill.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
I got Lubegard Bio-Tech in my '98 Saturn SC2 "Red Hot".

Noticed the engine rev's up more free & easy; kind of like accelerating down a hill.
smile.gif

LG makes some great products.

I've had a Valvetrain noise on deceleration for 20k miles on my La318. Different oils change the tone and volume of this noise.

I found m1 0w-40 reduced it by a good 50%, and then it came back toward the end of the OCI.

I am not really pro additive but I figured A can of LM mos2 was not going to hurt anything. I used a full can in with 4.5 quarts of M1 AFE 0w-30.

Got about 1k miles on it now.
Can barely hear the Valvetrain noise at all now, but I can't notice any MPG or power improvements, and the engine has always run smooth as silk.

I got LG red in with my AT+4 too.

In a previous message, I referred to the VW distributed MoS2 product and illustrated with this image from the web:

pxSjNVP.jpg

Here's what a new one looks like:

kNrxUp6.jpg

Even close up, the wording is not so clear, so here is the legend from the tube (from the top down):

AN EXTREME PRESSURE AND ANTI-WEAR ADDITIVE COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MOTOR OILS
AND GEAR LUBRICANTS

MOLYKOTE® FLUID CONCENTRATE

[text at left side of tube]
This tube contains recommended amount for
adding to a 5-quart crankcase or 5-pint gear
case. Use in same proportion for other size units

[text at right side of tube]
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
WILL NOT SETTLE - WILL NOT BE REMOVED BY FILTER

Distributed by VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
Manufactured by The Alpha-Molykote Corp. Stamford, Conn.

[small box on lower right]
Net contents
2 fluid ounces when full
Made in U.S.A

----------

There is no writing on the back of the tube.

---------

According to PrivCo, Dow-Corning of Midland Michigan acquired 100% of Alpha-Molykote Corp, Stamford CT in 1964.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Just changed oil in the E430 tonight, a total 8 quarts: 5 quarts M1 AFE 0W20, 2 quarts M1 0W40, 1 quart M1 5W20 HM plus half bottle Liqui Moly MoS2.

I used to add 1/2 ounces VSOT per quart, I'm running out VSOT.

Update after 1 week:
The car is driven by wife daily about 20 miles round trip 30% highway 70% city, so far she put on about 150 miles. Average speed according to the trip computer is 29 MPH and gas mileage is 20.3 MPG.

When the car had M1 0W40 the first 90-100k miles the gas mileage was around 18.0-18.5 MPG when the average speed was 29 MPH, it dropped to 17-17.5 with 28 MPH average.

About 6-7 years ago I used thinner oil: PP 5W20, M1 0W20 ... with 1 oz per quart VSOT the gas mileage went up to 19.0-19.5 with average speed of 29 MPH, 18.5-19.0 with 28 MPH.

Looks like MOS2 improves gas mileage about 3-5%. Will update the fuel economy in 2-3 months.

Just changed oil in the E430 tonight, a total 8 quarts: 5 quarts M1 AFE 0W20, 2 quarts M1 0W40, 1 quart M1 5W20 HM plus half bottle Liqui Moly MoS2.

I used to add 1/2 ounces VSOT per quart, I'm running out VSOT.

Update after 1 week:
The car is driven by wife daily about 20 miles round trip 30% highway 70% city, so far she put on about 150 miles. Average speed according to the trip computer is 29 MPH and gas mileage is 20.3 MPG.

When the car had M1 0W40 the first 90-100k miles the gas mileage was around 18.0-18.5 MPG when the average speed was 29 MPH, it dropped to 17-17.5 with 28 MPH average.

About 6-7 years ago I used thinner oil: PP 5W20, M1 0W20 ... with 1 oz per quart VSOT the gas mileage went up to 19.0-19.5 with average speed of 29 MPH, 18.5-19.0 with 28 MPH.

Looks like MOS2 improves gas mileage about 3-5%. Will update the fuel economy in 2-3 months.

IIRC Clevy mentioned mpg gains as well using it, over a very long period of recording it.

I do remember that Clevy did just that, thanks to him that his post was the main reason I tried MoS2.

My dosage is low, 1/2 bottle in a 8.5 quarts sump. I like to try small dosage first to see if there is any negative effect.

I do remember that Clevy did just that, thanks to him that his post was the main reason I tried MoS2.

My dosage is low, 1/2 bottle in a 8.5 quarts sump. I like to try small dosage first to see if there is any negative effect.

Recall that it takes a while for this stuff to coat the engine's innards - maybe 500 miles or more.

You might want to add the full bottle - that's a large sump. As the MoS2 adheres to the metal inside the engine, the oil will stop looking so dark (at which time, you might add a bit more).

I've had good luck with mos2 improving highway fuel economy but only in v6 and v8 engines.
Every 4 cylinder I've tried it in the owners did mention that the engine was very smooth and quiet but no fuel consumption changes.
They were newer vehicles too which may have something to do with it as well.

Originally Posted By: dave5358

Recall that it takes a while for this stuff to coat the engine's innards - maybe 500 miles or more.

You might want to add the full bottle - that's a large sump. As the MoS2 adheres to the metal inside the engine, the oil will stop looking so dark (at which time, you might add a bit more).

That has been my experience with it. It wasn't til the third full tank that I noticed a fuel consumption change.

I'm not one to log mpgs anymore, unless we're going on a road trip. My best experience with MoS2 is it stopped an old mower I acquired from blowing smoke [oil]. It needed a carb rebuild and a plug to get it running. MoS2 completely stopped the smoke issue for a few years now.

I have a feeling the MoS2 "plating" fills tiny imperfections in the cylinder wall similar to Restore, only not as well.

I didn't manual log the fuel mileage, the car has trip computer. I changed oil and reset it so it will start counting down from 10k miles.

I owned the car for 14 years, I read the trip computer once every few thousands miles. It is very accurate compares with manual calculation, the error is less than 2%.

I was a little surprise to see the gas mileage improvement in less than 200-300 miles of adding MoS2.

Another observation, before the oil change there was a small oil leak about 5-15 drops on a cardboard on garage floor very day. The valve cover gasket is original and looked wet. Since adding MoS2 with new oil the leak seems to stop, the cardboard is clean without any oil drop. The engine seems to run a little quieter too.

I'm going to change oil in the S2000 soon, will add 1/4 bottle MoS2 to 5.1 quart capacity.

So far there is no negative effect from the Lubro Moly MoS2 I can detect. There are some snake oils from some questionable companies, and there are some good additives from reputable companies. Lubro/Liqui Moly and Lubegard are 2 of some reputable companies I trusted.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Read a very interesting piece of info on Mos2 that is quite precise and proven. www.theparsecgroup.com/experts.htm After reading this I was sold; ten times over. This is one product in its own class.

Right, its 'own class'. As the most popular industrial lubricant in use today, it deserves its own class. As a motor oil additive that has been in public use for at least 60 years, it deserves its own class. There is no serious debate about the usefulness of MoS2. The only place where its usefulness is debated at all is... BITOG, invariably by people who have never used it. Seriously.

There are several SAE studies cited in your link, as well as university studies of MoS2 - mostly flattering. If you go the the Society of Automobile Engineers website and use their search engine, you will discover that molybdenum in various forms has been very widely studied for a very long time. Studies of other additives like PEA or ZDDP are also studied, but not necessarily in the same numbers.

Don't expect to change many BITOG minds with your posting. Independent studies and research on MoS2 usually have to do with the underlying chemical compound. Brand-name applications of MoS2 (e.g. Molykote or Liqui Moly MoS2) are not independently studied. But brand-name applications of any additive product are never independently studied, for a variety of practical and legal reasons. End products may be studied by the product manufacturer, but manufacturers don't release detailed results of their internal studies. Does anyone think Volkswagen would market or distribute MoS2 under their own name without studying the product? But don't hold you breath waiting for VW to release the results of their research.

BITOG discussion of MoS2 (maybe other additives as well) frequently devolves into two camps: respondents who have used a product, or are considering using it, and are seeking or sharing information. Then there are those who have never used a product but are able to form an opinion that they don't like the product. Take your pick.

In the information sharing department, Parsec Group seems to market several MoS2 related products (Spica Blue, Spica Gold, etc). Spica Blue, a gasoline additive, seems to be registered with the EPA. Has anyone ever seen or used any of their products?

Originally Posted By: dave5358
BITOG discussion of MoS2 (maybe other additives as well) frequently devolves into two camps: respondents who have used a product, or are considering using it, and are seeking or sharing information. Then there are those who have never used a product but are able to form an opinion that they don't like the product. Take your pick.

I finally found some solid friction-reduction data!!!! http://www.infineum.com/sitecollectiondocuments/notebooks/gf5/ResearchReport.pdf
page 23, where a variety of different types of gasoline car engines were tested in quality engineering labs for friction reduction (fuel economy increases), where the only thing different was one oil had 1000 ppm moly in it. .... I have been using Mazda's 0w-20 high-moly 600 ppm latest SN oil, and I think they are on to something using that high amount. Now I also feel more confident in buying and using LiquiMoly MOS2 additive. .... Test results show a 0.5% to 3% improvement, depending on the engine you use it in. Thats big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back