Mobil1, PureOne, Napa Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In you opinion which of these three would be best in a turbo application? Right now I am using the PureOne.
If you think there is something better I am open to that suggestion as well.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find one better than another. I use PureOne but have seriouly considering a Mobil 1 filter to be used with Mobil 1 oil I now use.

The PureOne is one of the best filters on the market. I wouldn't worry about using it or pay extra for the M1 filter.

I'd say take your pick. If you find any on sale ..grab them. I'll give PureOne the edge on value.

Any are great choices, but I'm a Purolator user so I'll naturally say go with the PureOne.
grin.gif

The biggest difference I can think of in a turbo would be the oil temp. The oil going through the turbo is going to get hotter in which case I would use a silicone ADBV.

The Pure One is a great choice.

Thanks for the replies, my main concern as far as the turbo is flow vs filtration. I use purolators on all my vehicles, but I did pick up a couple mobil 1 filters recently when I was at autozone and I noticed the mobil 1 canister seems to be of sturdier construction than the PureOne's I have on hand.

I have used the PureOne filter almost exclusively since it came out,I have cut open several of them and have never had any issues. I guess I should just stick with what works.

BTW.. My car does call for a different part # on the oil filter as compared to the non turbo version of the engine..I believe the only difference is the length of the filter though..
dunno.gif
The car also has a factory oil cooler,although the location could be better..
smile.gif

I would go with either the NAPA Gold (Wix) or the K&N (Champion Labs) for the less restrictive flow versus the M1 (Champion Labs) or PureOne.

The NAPA Gold is a good value at $7. The K&N is priced similar to its cousin filter M1.

The objective of an oil filter is to filter the oil. Best filters are Mobil 1 and Pure One. Both meet or exceed the required flow of the applications they are spec'd for.
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
The biggest difference I can think of in a turbo would be the oil temp. The oil going through the turbo is going to get hotter in which case I would use a silicone ADBV.

The Pure One is a great choice.

I use an OEM Subaru filter for my 2004 WRX meant specifically for the turbo models. It's actually smaller than the other OEM filter (Purolator) sold in the US. The smaller size is supposed to help given the filter is wedged inside of three exhaust manifolds in Subaru's current turbo designs.

The filter is made in Japan by a company called Tokyo Roki (not Toyo Roki). It's got a black silicone ADBV although the filter is mounted base up. I usually drain the filter as much as I can after a change, and the valve is still pliable. Although it's smaller, I believe the filtering capacity is as high as the larger OEM filter.

The filter also mounts on an oil cooler (oil to coolant heat exchanger) which I believe mostly cools the oil going **into** the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back