Castrol Edge Professional 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone on the forum with a Jag or Range Rover that ran this oil 15K miles and got an oil analysis? My dealer recommends 7500 miles even though Range Rover says 15K.....my next oil change I am planning on getting a Blackstone report.........will post at that time....Just curious about the 15K.....I don't plan on going that long because of the way I drive....I live in the mountains, and do a lot of city and short trips......I think 7500 miles is plenty...

As far as I can make out, there are two possibilities for EDGE Professional in a 5W-20 in the US.

EDGE Professional 5W-20 is API SN/ILSAC GF-5 and also meets ACEA A1/B1.
EDGE Professional OE 5W-20 is aimed at European cars and is SL/GF-3 but meets ACEA A5/B5.

As far as Acea goes all high quality oils such as Castrold Edge will meet A5/B5.

A1/B1 is a similar but not as good spec and seems to mostly be semi synthetic oils or older formulations.

Magnatec 5w30 (Ford/fuel economy spec) used to be A1/B1 and is now A5/B5.

Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE 5w30 also used to be A1/B1 and is now A5/B5.

Note they usually put A1/B1 on the list of compatible specs as A5/B5 exceeds A1/B1.

The only place i have found Castrol Edge Professional 5w20 (i don't think it was 0w20 but it was 2 yrs ago) was at a Ford dealers as it is the standard fill for the new 1.0 ecoboost lumps.

It is also the standard fill for the 5.0V8 engines as fitted to Jaguar Land Rover vehicles, no surprise as i think that engine is from Ford.

One point on Jag LR products.

On my previous fill the vehicle was asking for a service within a 1000 miles even though it was 6k till the 16k interval.

I changed the oil and it stopped showing this message.

My car is now on 105k and last week it showed 1950 miles to service and few days later it had dropped to 1100 and now is says 1000. But the service is not due till 110k.

I am hoping to drop the oil this week and it will be interesting if the same thing happened.

I know this vehicle measures the oil itself.

But how did it reset itself?

I thought it just adjustes the oci according to usage and number of dpf regens done.

Not sure if a similar system is fitted to the 5.0v8.

But knowing JLR it likely is.

Purely from my experience i think the car would be telling you to take the vehicle for a servie if it was absolutely necessary.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
As far as Acea goes all high quality oils such as Castrold Edge will meet A5/B5.

A1/B1 is a similar but not as good spec and seems to mostly be semi synthetic oils or older formulations.

A5/B5 is a high performance version of A1/B1 but only for oils with HTHS between 2.9 and 3.5. So this makes most Xw20 oils ineligible regardless of their quality or performance.

From what i have read the HTHS for -w20 oils is lower than that for -w30 oils.

I don't have a link but i would suspect the information regarding HTHS in w20 oils is widely available.

Actually just checked HTHS limit seems to be 2.6 for -w20

And -w20 does indeed only appear to be A1/B1 rather than the higher A5/B5 that i have used in 5w30

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back