Why did Amsoil efficiency drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They used to advertise 98.7% at 15 microns (and 99.8 at 20).

Now it's XXX % at 15 (unknown) and 98.7% at 20. Did they redesign the filter to capture less stuff?

Why is a question we'll likely never see answered.

Just note that they changed from the nanofiber media to a 'synthetic' media for the oil filters.

My *guess*: flow. Many newer cars are gonna be using lighter oils and higher volume pumps so a slight drop in efficiency for less restriction would be a good thing.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Why is a question we'll likely never see answered.

Just note that they changed from the nanofiber media to a 'synthetic' media for the oil filters.

My *guess*: flow. Many newer cars are gonna be using lighter oils and higher volume pumps so a slight drop in efficiency for less restriction would be a good thing.

Lighter weight oil helps reduce delta-p, probably more than a few percent in efficiency would.

That change happened years ago.

Yes better flow, bottom line.

Funny that everybody at the time was completely and unabashedly urinating in Amsoil's cornflakes. Some people here on BITOG publicly predicted a HUGE spike in failures from Amsoil and dead engines. The gushing and praise for Purolator knew no end. Interesting how that worked out. You just can't make an oil filter that is to restrictive, it's a delicate balance.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
That change happened years ago.

Yes better flow, bottom line.

Funny that everybody at the time was completely and unabashedly urinating in Amsoil's cornflakes. Some people here on BITOG publicly predicted a HUGE spike in failures from Amsoil and dead engines. The gushing and praise for Purolator knew no end. Interesting how that worked out. You just can't make an oil filter that is to restrictive, it's a delicate balance.

What about the nano-fiber technology? Is that still being used?

Still the Donaldson media - but it IS possible Donaldson changed it. I just don't get that level of detail, but you know, I never asked. I know the wording and marketing pictures changed.

Frankly, I don't get all wrapped around the axle on that level of detail. The efficiency is that good, and the flow is great.

This is NOT AMSOIL-bashing...I have no ax to grind against them...but didn't they issue some sort of bulletin against using their filters on Toyotas as they were "too" efficient and caused an oil pressure light?

This also gives credence to the theory that Toyota values flow over efficiency so maybe efficiency isn't the king of the specs, as some here believe it to be.

Given that the pump pushes the same amount of oil per rev, how is "flow" seriously different between manufacturers, except at the very point they are about to bypass...flourishing rhetoric for the perceived victimisation of said filter aside.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
This is NOT AMSOIL-bashing...I have no ax to grind against them...but didn't they issue some sort of bulletin against using their filters on Toyotas as they were "too" efficient and caused an oil pressure light?

This also gives credence to the theory that Toyota values flow over efficiency so maybe efficiency isn't the king of the specs, as some here believe it to be.

This one ?

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/filtration/tsb fl-2009-05-01 eao toyota.pdf

A "small" number of engines tripped the light when they ran to Amsoil's recommended 25,000 mile service interval....hmmm, it's not a reflection on Toyota's flow/efficincy...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Still the Donaldson media - but it IS possible Donaldson changed it. I just don't get that level of detail, but you know, I never asked. I know the wording and marketing pictures changed.

Frankly, I don't get all wrapped around the axle on that level of detail. The efficiency is that good, and the flow is great.

I don't think it's the Donaldson media anymore as all references to nanofiber have been removed from all areas except on air filters.

I'm pretty sure it's a synthetic media but we'll never know anything other than what it's efficiency is from Amsoil. But that's really all that matters. I don't care what it's made out of as long as it performs- it's why I use Amsoil in the first place.

Donaldson's name for the synthetic glass media has always been Synteq. What AMSOIL calls it is a different matter.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Donaldson's name for the synthetic glass media has always been Synteq. What AMSOIL calls it is a different matter.
Amsoil called it nanofiber as that was the non-marketing name for it. But that's gone from all oil filter pages now. Likely the cost/performance wasn't there on the tiny filters and with bypass systems performing way better there's not real need since most customers don't extended drains far enough for it to be worthwhile.

Amsoil called it nanofiber as that was the non-marketing name for it. But that's gone from all oil filter pages now. Likely the cost/performance wasn't there on the tiny filters and with bypass systems performing way better there's not real need since most customers don't extended drains far enough for it to be worthwhile.

My point is, if AMSOIL was buying Synteq with a particular beta rating and using it under the nanofiber moniker, had some issues with small capacity filters (which they did) and then started buying a slightly different version with a different beta rating, even if the media is still Donaldson Synteq, AMSOIL is calling it whatever they want. So the media may be of the exact same type with just a different beta rating and AMSOIL has chosen to change the name to reflect the change in efficiency between the two versions of the media.

Donaldson makes Synteq in a HUGE range of efficiencies.

My point is, if AMSOIL was buying Synteq with a particular beta rating and using it under the nanofiber moniker, had some issues with small capacity filters (which they did) and then started buying a slightly different version with a different beta rating, even if the media is still Donaldson Synteq, AMSOIL is calling it whatever they want. So the media may be of the exact same type with just a different beta rating and AMSOIL has chosen to change the name to reflect the change in efficiency between the two versions of the media.

Then why remove the nanofiber name? Wouldn't you want to retain bragging rights and marketing videos?

Then why remove the nanofiber name? Wouldn't you want to retain bragging rights and marketing videos?

Maybe not if there were negative connotations associated with it as well. Pablo noted they are still using the Donaldson media, which would mean they are still using Synteq. What AMSOIL calls it is really of no consequence. Tear-down pictures posted recently of an unused EaO shows them to look the same as they always have. Which looks incredibly similar to a Fleetguard Stratopore or Donaldson Endurance filter.

Recent EaO11:
_NEW_Amsoil_E011#Post3363811]Thread here for more pictures.

IMG_0532_zps89772f0c.jpg

Stratapore:
FleetguardLF3487-01.jpg

Endurance:
DonaldsonP169071-01.jpg

Used Stratapore (Ford FL-820S equiv.):
stratapore06.jpg

Used EaO11 (Ford FL-820S equiv.):
EaO1102.jpg

EaO1103.jpg

What I found interesting was how differently the media was laid between the Fleetguard and the EaO in the FL-820S equivalent, as the fleetguard had much tighter/narrower pleats as they were laid over the wire backed media vs the EaO, which is more rounded like the Donaldson.

I agree about the rounded pleats, I like them as it would seem they allow for more even flow and less of a bottleneck on the inside of the filter where the pleats almost touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back