2014 Ford Mustang V6 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, trading in my first car for a new 2014 Mustang V6. Any advice on when I should do the first oil change, and what oil to use after the engine is broken in. I plan on using QS syn blend for the first OC. Thanks for your .02 cents

There may be a special blend from the factory in it now. Why not use the oil life meter? Either way, I don't think u will break it...my2cents

Use the QS you have now. Then use what you can buy on sale that meets specifications the engine will be the least of your worries.

First off buy a 5.0. The sixxers have no torque and you really gotta wind them out to get any performance from them.
Secondly use whatever for tells you meets their spec. It's just that simple.
Follow the oil life monitor and do as many burn outs as you can afford.
It never gets old

Really? This engine is the same as our cruisers now and they really move. Ill take the six for a drive and see what it does

Originally Posted By: Clevy
First off buy a 5.0. The sixxers have no torque and you really gotta wind them out to get any performance from them.
Secondly use whatever for tells you meets their spec. It's just that simple.
Follow the oil life monitor and do as many burn outs as you can afford.
It never gets old

Clevy's right. And the manual tranny ones are even worse for some reason,it just feels whimpy. I know a base model GT can be had pretty cheap. If I were to buy a Mustang,it'd be the very bottom of the line,stripped down GT w/manual tranny.

My how times have changed! Calling 300hp/280 lb-ft gutless is funny.

I had a 1997 Mustang Cobra:
305 hp @ 5800
300 lb-ft @ 4800
5.7 or so to 60

The 2014 Mustang V6:
300 hp @ 6500
280 lb-ft @ 4250
5.8 to 60

Not slow by any means. For both you have to work them to get them to move. I wonder if gearing would help? It was common back in the day to swap in a set of 4.10's to wake up the Mustang.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
There may be a special blend from the factory in it now.
I don't believe Ford uses anything special as FF...just the same Motorcraft 5W-20 you can buy at Wally's.

Maybe in the GT500...

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
There may be a special blend from the factory in it now.
I don't believe Ford uses anything special as FF...just the same Motorcraft 5W-20 you can buy at Wally's.

Maybe in the GT500...

All the Mustangs come with 5w20 blend from the factory except the Track Pack GT and the GT500, they get 5w50. Although not sure what the 2015s will come with yet.

Personally I would never consider a 6 cylinder Mustang.

I would personally never consider a mustang. Had 6 or so GT's from day one in the 80s thru 90. and a 68 390 and a II cobra.

None of 'em good enough of a car to keep. SL 4XX Mercedes are worse though.

Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 is what I would use. Will keep it factory clean.
smile.gif

The V6 in more than than enough to get most people in trouble. Although the 5.0 is a alluring.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

305 hp @ 5800
300 lb-ft @ 4800
5.7 or so to 60

The 2014 Mustang V6:
300 hp @ 6500
280 lb-ft @ 4250
5.8 to 60

Not slow by any means. For both you have to work them to get them to move. I wonder if gearing would help? It was common back in the day to swap in a set of 4.10's to wake up the Mustang.

V6 Mustang faster than a 1967 GTO by quite a bit, but now labeled "no performance"? We have been spoiled!

Yep the V6 is quite adequate. The 5.0 V8 is thrilling, and the exhaust tone is worth the price of admission. The manual is intoxicating. Man, I will be keeping my 5.0 for a long while. Too good for a daily driver in my world. She is spoiled and she spoils me...life is good in the V8 lane

Originally Posted By: ammolab

305 hp @ 5800
300 lb-ft @ 4800
5.7 or so to 60

The 2014 Mustang V6:
300 hp @ 6500
280 lb-ft @ 4250
5.8 to 60

V6 Mustang faster than a 1967 GTO by quite a bit, but now labeled "no performance"? We have been spoiled!

Lol people call that slow? I've got a Camry if anyone wants to test drive it so they can find out what slow REALLY is.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Hey guys, trading in my first car for a new 2014 Mustang V6. Any advice on when I should do the first oil change, and what oil to use after the engine is broken in. I plan on using QS syn blend for the first OC. Thanks for your .02 cents

Congrats on the new ride! I'm sure you've done your research on the engine....so I'll answer your questions instead
smile.gif

I am firmly in the "early 1st oil change" club. Although the oil may be ok for a normal interval, there still may be a good amount of assembly material circulating inside. It may not be there and/or may not cause a problem, but it's good to be sure. So on my new vehicles I change at no higher than a 2500 mile interval for the first change, no more than 5000 for the second, then normal interval after that.

Your oil choice should be fine but I'll put in a plug for Amsoil
02.gif
anyway.

Congratulations on first new car. The base engines are so much better than they once were. In a RWD car, it's a fun ride. Of course, I also believe you cannot have enough power.

How long is factory first oil change interval? If not some insanely long interval, I'd stick with that. Any quality synthetic in correct viscosity that meets Ford specs I'd use after break in. For me, that would probably be Mobil 1.

lawman1909,

I wouldn't change out the factory oil until it's ready for it's first OCI. Don't do anything to void your warranty. Once your ready for the oil change ask what brand the dealership has in stock. If they allow ot use the oil of your choosing then personally go for the full synthetic as it's not too much more in cost. Even if you use Motorcraft oil it's good stuff to use.

Durango

I have a 2013 Mustang v6, bought it new last June with 15 miles on the odo. I did the first oil change somewhere between 1,000 to 1,500 miles, second after another 3k miles, and the third after another 5k miles. After that second free oil change, I started running Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 since then along with doing 8k mile OCI's.

Don't listen to these guys bashing the v6 Stangs lol. It's a phenomenal performing car for the price (they're cheap now due to the 2015's hitting the lots soon), especially for insurance and fuel mileage reasons. During a round trip to Kentucky and back to North Carolina, my Mustang got 32 to 33mpg on I64. My speed varied between 70mph and up to 80 on some long stretches of the interstate.

3.73 gears and a 93 octane race tune will turn it into a real beastly little N/A v6, easily capable of 0-60 in 5 seconds flat. Even a $400 race tune alone really wakes it up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ammolab

305 hp @ 5800
300 lb-ft @ 4800
5.7 or so to 60

The 2014 Mustang V6:
300 hp @ 6500
280 lb-ft @ 4250
5.8 to 60

Tell me about it, these new base pony cars easily take on what was considered high performance from the 90's and even the early 2000's. And they do it while having much more advanced standard features and being built better.

In fact the same can be said for v6 engines from the other car makers, on average they're all dishing out around 300hp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back