got '09 Suzuki GZ250...any service hints???

Status
Not open for further replies.
in: 2009 Suzuki GZ250 with 1583 miles...
out: 2013 Genuine Buddy 125 scooter...

anyone got any service hints, tips, tricks for Suzuki GZ250 (or forums, websites, links, etc)? thanks...

thanks...forgot that site; had a different GZ250 for a very short time a few years ago, but stupidly reversed the sales deal (got my trade-in scooter and majority of my money back -- dealer kept $300); I've been eyeballing different Yamaha V Star 250's and Honda Rebel 250's lately, but didn't find any in my price range...then I saw several GZ 250's being run at an MSF course site this past weekend and that renewed my interest in them...found a nice one locally so I jumped! GZ 250 in...Buddy 125 out! the GZ sounds like a [censored] lawnmower...LOL!

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
the GZ sounds like a [censored] lawnmower...LOL!

Well, that's what you get with a single cylinder. Some people try to put on different exhaust pipe on it, but it can only help so much.

From a sound perspective, the V-Star 250 makes a lot more pleasing noises. It is also more powerful. Alas, I also couldn't find one in the shape that I liked and at a price point that I wanted, so I settled for the GZ250. I only kept mine for around 4 months until I built up confidence and was able to move up to something bigger. Still, you always remember your first bike fondly.

The GZ250 is a better 250cc machine than the Honda Rebel IMHO. The Rebel is cramped, even for a 250 cruiser. When I got a 250cc I came down to a Yamaha Virago 250 or the GZ250. The Virago has more pep so I got that. My friend had one and his was trouble free for 10k miles except he had a problem with spokes breaking on his wheels. So watch out for that.

I have a gz 250, good commuter bike. Don't try to run it over 65, it will shorten the life of the engine. If you live in an area that is realtivly flat, you could consider a 16tooth front sprocket. The stock sprocket is 15 tooth. The 16 tooth makes first gear more useable and there is less shifting around town. The taller gear does make 5 gear harder to pull as the bike does not have horse power. If you do a lot of 60-65 mph or have hills the 16t is not for you. Check valve clearances every 5000 miles.

There is a forum for GZ owners.
http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/

Some people buy this bike then spend money trying to make it faster. If you want a faster bike, spend the money buying one, not moding a gz. The GZ is great for commuting. I get 65-70mpg mixed city and 60mph expressway. At 45mph i can get 80 mpg.
I added side boxes that i made from military ammo boxes. I can carry small groceries and a gallon of milk, or 5 quarts of oil in each side!
Enjoy it.

the majority of my area is 'relatively flat', but there are hills-n-dales all over the place; there are several great roads that are harder ascents & descents (Goldmine Road -- Lebanon County/Dauphin County; Wagonner's Gap Road -- Cumberland County/Perry County; Rte 501 North above Bethel into Schuylkill County); planning to keep the bike stock, shift down & throttle up when needed...

I've had it up to 55-62mph for shorter runs, but the 'comfort zone' for me as the rider is 40-55mph (anything over 60mph on my bigger bike is above my 'comfort zone'...LOL!)

I've had it up to 55-62mph for shorter runs, but the 'comfort zone' for me as the rider is 40-55mph (anything over 60mph on my bigger bike is above my 'comfort zone'...LOL!)

You will get great fuel mileage in the 45mph range. Its a great bike for riding to work.
I do want to ride a ninja 300, i hear with fuel injection, they are getting great mileage too.

I think my nostalgia is kicking in...

P1050706.jpg

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The GZ250 is a better 250cc machine than the Honda Rebel IMHO. The Rebel is cramped, even for a 250 cruiser. When I got a 250cc I came down to a Yamaha Virago 250 or the GZ250. The Virago has more pep so I got that. My friend had one and his was trouble free for 10k miles except he had a problem with spokes breaking on his wheels. So watch out for that.

The Rebel is essentially a MSF bike...and it's older than dirt! Athsmatic (carbuerated!) 234cc twin, tiny frame, skinny tires....yuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

The Rebel is essentially a MSF bike...and it's older than dirt! Athsmatic (carbuerated!) 234cc twin, tiny frame, skinny tires....yuck.

they are both MSF bikes...the exception is that the Rebel is still being made while the GZ250 has been discontinued; as far as 'performance' the GZ's no stallion, but it does the job well enough that I snagged one; I actually prefer the styling of the Honda Rebel, but I couldn't find an affordable used one at a local dealer (traded in my scooter) while private sales ones are out there if someone seeks them out...

as far as 'performance' the GZ's no stallion, but it does the job well enough that I snagged one;

So far mine is very reliable. Runs on low octane fuel just fine. It actually gets better fuel mileage on 87 than it does on 93.

Quote:
as far as 'performance' the GZ's no stallion, but it does the job well enough that I snagged one;

So far mine is very reliable. Runs on low octane fuel just fine. It actually gets better fuel mileage on 87 than it does on 93.

I'm starting to gain a 'feel' for the power band and the appropriate shifting points...I think I was shifting too soon into 4th and 5th, but I'm trying to correct it; still, it is what it is...a 249cc thumper that is detuned for EPA standards and having a rider weighing @ 200 lbs doesn't help with acceleration;

it does have several things I like over the Rebel...wider tires and an actual oil filter; never understood why Honda didn't design/redesign the engine housing to accept a small screw-on oil filter (or an internal element style-filter)...dumping oil every 1000 miles is a complete waste (in my mind);

oh well...hopefully the GZ will grow on me in the upcoming days

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back