When to change diff oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tundra goes in on Tues for front diff rework. I believe it's new bearings, new diff, new axle; but same ring and pinion. When should I change the diff oil after this? 5k? 10k? I try to keep the miles to 10k/year on this. It's a shame actually, as I changed the diff oil last weekend and it goes in on tues... and has the Mobil 1 stuff drained out.
frown.gif
[Didn't learn about the TSB until afterwards, I thought the noise was another bad tire and was waiting for tire rotation time to confirm.]

I kinda need to change the oil again in the other parts, as I neglected to notice that it uses steel crush washers on the rear diff and aluminum on the front and TC... I mixed up the ones I got. I *think* if I work fast I can change the rear real fast w/o losing all the oil. I *think* if I do it w/in a year it's unlikely it would sieze. I think. [Might just buy a new drain bolt, and swap in the new one, so as to make it faster.]

Are the steel and aluminum crush washers the gaskets for the drain and fill plugs? If they are, you can leave them alone if they aren't leaking. If you pull the plug and act quickly, you can save most of the oil. I have had to quickly swap out drain plugs in my mom's car and in her friend's car.

I'm not sure that a transfer case would need an oil change if no dust enters when the driveshaft is removed.

why would you be having problems with the diff? Also why not just change out everything if You're already in their?

Known issue on the front diff, another strike against Toyota's legendary quality. Something about bearing alignment. However I just changed the oil in the front diff, the transfer case and the rear dif--could not time that more poorly, I guess, I just didn't know about the TSB. I screwed up on the crush washers an am now concerned about them seizing, due to galvanic corrosion.

Yes, steel and aluminum washers. Front diff and TC are aluminum while rear diff is steel. I don't know where I used each type. Changing fill is easy, the drain a bit more messy.

Sorry to hear of your truck trouble.
5 to 10 k should be good.
I had an '07 DC 4x4.
First diff was TSB'd at 20k
At 45k it was making noise again.
That and the insane vacuum sound (AIC)at start
ups scared me enough to dump it.
Have you been to any Tundra Forums?

Last edited:
I go on tundratalk once a week or so. It's where I found the TSB for the diff.

The AIP doing its bit at startup bugs me, that and the high idle. I mostly ignore it. I do worry about the stupid AIP, it's costly, supposedly covered by warranty out to 150k but it is still a weak spot, waiting to fail.

I like the truck tho, and I don't know what I would replace it with. My plans were to keep the miles low, and trade after a few years. I'd do it sooner, but I don't know what I would get.

Lots of action coming in the future
pickup market.Just prices are getting
over inflated.
I went smaller after the Tundra.
Depends on your truck needs.

Last edited:
I changed my needs, no longer want a travel trailer. Love having a truck but that is not a proper justification. Just need awd and 3k towing and >30mpg methinks. Tall order, or own two vehicles, fwd for commuting, awd for pulling a trailer, something like that. Do like the size, moves my family of four great, even if we have friends. Great for camping, current popup lacks storage space, so loads went into the truck. Decent ground clearance too, that is nice in winter.

What did you replace your Tundra with?

Last edited:
Hold on a second while I put on
my flame retardant underwear.

A Ridgeline!
I can have one vehicle.
It rides like a car can haul and tow
modest loads.
AWD for winter.It did very well last
winter when we had a real one.
Drove 1000 mile round trip with five adults.
Plenty of room.
And has been trouble free so far @59,xxx miles.
I wanted a new one to start over but the
CFO over ruled that.
When you own one you love them.
When people do not they hate them.
Good luck with the Tundra.
I do miss the crazy amount of interior storage
in the double cab.

I thought about Ridgeline, it is pretty close. Except for those mpg's, for some reason they just don't go past something like 22. Shame Honda is not updating it. But I haven't seen a single person post more than about 22, and that's not enough of a gain to make me change.

Good luck with it.

There would be no gain.
That 22mpg plus is only
in perfect conditions.
I have seen as high as 25.
But gotta have that tail wind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back