Oil Questions For 2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just bought a 2008 Toyota Sequoia with 95k in what appears to be excellent condition. All the service was done at their Toyota dealership. I like to do my own maintenance. Couple of questions..

1) Owners manual recommends 0w-20 which blew me away. I'm a truck guy and always ran 5w-30 or even heavier if it's gonna see towing duty. It also says 5w-20 is acceptable. What do you guys like and why?

2) What would the Toyota dealership use? 0w-20? I'm asking because I might just stick with what they've used.

3) Would it be synthetic, blend or regular oil? If regular, should I switch to synthetic?

4) Menards has a good sale on Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. What do BITOG's think of this oil? It does not come in 0w-20, but they do have 5w-20.

Thanks for any help/advice!

HiccaBurp, I owned an '07 Tundra 5.7L for approx 160,000km - it was a great truck. I used Formula Shell 5w20 and toyota filters for 7,000km OCIs with good results (think I have a few of the UOAs posted here). Those 5.7L's seem to be pretty easy on oil. I would think almost any decent 0w20 or 5w20 will do fine for you.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
No doubt at all....TGMO 0W20! Love it in my Accord.

Thanks Greg. I've never purchased TGMO. Would I just go to the dealer and buy quarts? Is TGMO synthetic or regular?

TGMO 0W-20 would be considered a full synthetic.

When I had my 2010 Tundra 5.7 and 2005 Accord 2.4, I ran TGMO 0W-20 for one OCI in each before I traded off both vehicles. Ran good in both (nice viscosity index for the cold mornings here in ND). I can't remember what I paid for a case at the dealer but I want to say around $6 a quart. Ask them what a quart cost then ask if you can get a better price on a case.

On my Tundra (and I would assume on your Sequoia) the motor has an oil cooling system to keep oil temps in check (nice piece of mind when towing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back