PP 10w30, 5,426 mi, 2010 Dodge Journey 47,888 tot

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this is our first UOA on our '10 DJ and we were quite shocked. I didn't want to do a motor flush but my father insisted so we did one 5 min before changing the oil. Metal particulates were high and they suspect that to be the cause. I'll attach the form so you all can see the report.
DJ has 47,888 mi at time of change, had PP with a Pureone filter. oil going in was PP with a Pureone synthetic filter. Next time we won't do a flush and see if the numbers go down.
BlackstoneLaboratoriesOilReport_zpsad70cf85.jpg

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Did you flush engine with kerosene?

Sorry...not to be harsh, but no sense wasting your sample kit on a contaminated oil.

I doubt he knew that, otherwise I'm sure no sane individual would that.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Did you flush engine with kerosene?

Sorry...not to be harsh, but no sense wasting your sample kit on a contaminated oil.

I doubt he knew that, otherwise I'm sure no sane individual would that.

Very true. I sincerely apologize if it read too mean. Things come across different when read as opposed to being spoken In person.

To the OP...thanks for joining the club.

No harm. the kit was for my motorcycle but my father insisted on using it on his car. The next time we won't use the flush. He just insists on the flush although I told him no use.

No harm. the kit was for my motorcycle but my father insisted on using it on his car. The next time we won't use the flush. He just insists on the flush although I told him no use.

I would submit that your next sample will be contaminated to some extent as well. Unless your engine drains exceptionally well, I believe there will be at least a little left over from your flush to skew the numbers somewhat.

Is this engine flushed regularly with an oil change? Just wondered if there's a "build up" of contaminated oil from regular flushes. Maybe there's an issue causing so much aluminum. It seems like a lot of aluminum for a few minutes of running with a cleaning solution.

Just curious.

He only uses a flush right after our winter is over (MI). He says he's done it with all of his cars. I told him there is no use to do the flush but he insists that he has always done it and never had a problem so he attributes that to using the flush. He always uses a Synthetic oil be it Pennzoil, Mobile 1, Supertech. He isn't much of a car guy but at least knows to use synthetic over dino. After that report he says he will no longer do the flush now.

Originally Posted By: B25urgandy
He only uses a flush right after our winter is over (MI). He says he's done it with all of his cars. I told him there is no use to do the flush but he insists that he has always done it and never had a problem so he attributes that to using the flush. He always uses a Synthetic oil be it Pennzoil, Mobile 1, Supertech. He isn't much of a car guy but at least knows to use synthetic over dino. After that report he says he will no longer do the flush now.

Hey, at least he learned something.

My guess is he's always run 10w-30 too? I would think Chrysler would spec a 5w-30 or maybe even xW-20 for that year. It sure would be easier to start in MI winters with a 0w or 5w.

Originally Posted By: LotI

My guess is he's always run 10w-30 too? I would think Chrysler would spec a 5w-30 or maybe even xW-20 for that year. It sure would be easier to start in MI winters with a 0w or 5w.

Believe it or not for '10 they specs 10W30, then they changed to 5w30. I told him to run 5w30 since it's really cold here in the winter. (today was as low as 38 believe it or not. But he's super strict on following the manual and won't put in the 5w30. And yes always 10w30 synthetic of different brands.
Personally unless the '11+s have a different transmission I would not recommend a Dodge Journey. Reverse into drive or drive into reverse. or even neutral to drive or reverse results in a really really loud thud that as well as audible you can feel it jolt the whole car. I've spoken to dodge and they ignore the problem and say there is no problem, at least the dealership says there is as well but they can't do anything because Chrysler says no. I'm going to change the transmission fluid soon and take a sample and send it in, I expect a great deal of metal and wear due to the really violent transmission shift changes.

I think the 'shift thud' is a programming thing. As a result there's not much your dealer can do. No mechanical changes come to mind in newer versions of that trans, but they do not seem to have the issue when coupled to the 2.4 or 3.6 motors. Anyway - please report back on your ATF sample!

Chrysler 3.5s typically show somewhat elevated aluminum numbers - something to keep in mind for your next sample.

Believe it or not for '10 they specs 10W30, then they changed to 5w30. I told him to run 5w30 since it's really cold here in the winter. (today was as low as 38 believe it or not. But he's super strict on following the manual and won't put in the 5w30. And yes always 10w30 synthetic of different brands.
Personally unless the '11+s have a different transmission I would not recommend a Dodge Journey. Reverse into drive or drive into reverse. or even neutral to drive or reverse results in a really really loud thud that as well as audible you can feel it jolt the whole car. I've spoken to dodge and they ignore the problem and say there is no problem, at least the dealership says there is as well but they can't do anything because Chrysler says no. I'm going to change the transmission fluid soon and take a sample and send it in, I expect a great deal of metal and wear due to the really violent transmission shift changes.

Might I suggest going to drive another Journey with the same drivetrain? If it's normal, you'll have the same clunk while shifting the demo vehicle.

Glad your Dad saw the wisdom of not doing flushes all the time ...

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Might I suggest going to drive another Journey with the same drivetrain? If it's normal, you'll have the same clunk while shifting the demo vehicle.

Glad your Dad saw the wisdom of not doing flushes all the time ...

On our DJ forum its a collom issue brought up. There have been re-flashes issued that fix the issue for a week or two then it goes back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back