Valvoline MST oil used 200 mi. Use in another car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently had my "free" 2 yr. VW service @ dealer. Valvoline "MST" oil was used (assuming 5w-30). I came to the conclusion after a short period of use (around 200 mi.), that Castrol 0w-30 is a much better oil for my 2.5L. I drained out the Valvoline oil and put in a 5g. jug and planned to use to the 05' Focus. Anything to worry about doing so? BTW, after this short usage, the oil was pretty dark, which surprised me. Thanks, Bill.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
I drained out the Valvoline oil and put in a 5g. jug and planned to use to the 05' Focus. Anything to worry about doing so?

Yes. Road grime falling into your drain pan and the impossibility of getting your drain pan perfectly clean, for starters. I just don't get the appeal here on this site of reusing oil that is "still good". I learned from my father the importance of surgical cleanliness combined with moving mechanical parts.

Why didn't you just leave the Valvoline in for a reasonable run and just then just chuck it?
The fairly obsolete GC is a better oil?
Really?
The little five cylinder is in no way demanding of its oil and the oil used presumably met the appropriate VAG specs or it wouldn't have been installed under the free maintenance program.
Nayov is on point in noting that its very hard to keep drained oil clean enough for it to be suited to use in anything other than a beater or a lawnmower.
If it isn't good enough for a pedestrian VW engine, then why would it be good enough for the really good Ford ZTEC?

I bought a new oil drain container from AA for $3 so the oil was clean. My previous oil change I used the GC 0w-30 and I could tell this was a superior oil. It's hard to explain, but the engine really runs better w/this oil. I didn't want to wait and leave the MST in. (I'm assuming that's REALLY what the dealer used? The invoice had Valovine MST on it.) Was planning on using the used oil in a Duratech engine, perhaps as a blend w/Valvoline convention oil. What caught me off guard was the fact the oil was rather dark after so few miles.

Originally Posted By: Nayov

Yes. Road grime falling into your drain pan and the impossibility of getting your drain pan perfectly clean, for starters. I just don't get the appeal here on this site of reusing oil that is "still good". I learned from my father the importance of surgical cleanliness combined with moving mechanical parts.

I have used "Mobil 2" in beaters for years with zero issues. Of course I try to keep everything perfectly clean, but even IF a speck or two of contaminates were to fall into the pan, the oil filter would almost immediately trap it out. Most are around 20 microns or so.

Can't be any worse than driving in a dusty environment from time to time, and engines handle that.

Certainly all to their own, though.

I would have just stick with what the dealer put in there. The 2.5L is not that picky or hard on oil. They spec'd 5w-40, 0w-40 for my model year 2.5L. I've been running RT6 5w-40. What made you come to the conclusion that the 0w-30 was a better choice besides sounding like the motor ran better? The 5 cylinder is perticularly noisy in itself, don't know how you noticed a difference. Also just a heads up as that motor ages they tend to use oil; enjoy Xw-30 while you can.

Last edited:
Thanks! I will enjoy the the GC 0w-30 for 2 additional OC's till my stash is gone. Final 3rd yr. "free" dealer oil change will just bring in my own oil. This oil is a heavy 30w true synthetic oil. My 2.5L runs smooth as silk. I've read this oil (being on the heavy side) helps w/oil consumption issues. My question, since the MST oil was used briefly, would there be anything wrong using it in another engine for say a 1yr/5k OC?

Originally Posted By: sparky123
My question, since the MST oil was used briefly, would there be anything wrong using it in another engine for say a 1yr/5k OC?

I exactly what I have done several times. Never an issue.

I would be comfortable up to 7500, since the oil is essentially new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back