All-Synthetic Oil Filter Media made of what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do they make all-synthetic oil filter media out of usually? No cellulose paper for sure. Glass fibers and polymer fiber blends? All polymer plastic fibers? Supermodel hair?

Glass fibers are all that I have heard of for synthetic media.
Example: Fleetguard Microglass.

Last edited:
Yes, glass fibers. I know Royal Purple claims "micro-glass", yet there must be a structural matrix of polymeric plastic fibers at least holding the fragile brittle glass fibers in place. Guessing. Kind of like the way glass fibers are mixed in with cellulose paper fibers, the cellulose adds strength there.

I just don't think you could make an oil filter media out of just glass fibers alone. Anybody know?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They get the material from plumbers. They make it out of hair that gets caught in bathroom sink drains.

That's biological media, unless the "hair" is from a man-made synthetic wig.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They get the material from plumbers. They make it out of hair that gets caught in bathroom sink drains.
... My original post of "supermodel hair" was just a bit less disgusting....

OK, so far the answers are that it could be glass fibers, supermodel hair, drain scum, wig hair.... whats next? Angel hair pasta maybe? ... Does anyone have inside knowledge of this?

I'll bet thats a blend of plastic polymer fibers and glass fibers, guessing. Looks like it. Depth filtering.

It's probably somewhat proprietary information, so you won't find specific details from filter companies on exactly what their synthetic media is made of.

Well - it depends upon how you define "synthetic" media ...
You know, because real synthetic media is "better" than fake synthetic media. Wait - no - that's oil. But I thought I remember hearing paper is better than plastic because it's better for the environment????

Tell me why this important again ????
21.gif
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Well - it depends upon how you define "synthetic" media ...
You know, because real synthetic media is "better" than fake synthetic media. Wait - no - that's oil. But I thought I remember hearing paper is better than plastic because it's better for the environment????

Tell me why this important again ????
21.gif
grin2.gif

Cut out the sarcastic comments. Its "important" because I'm curious when it comes to engineering the media. Satisfied with that? .... One example: Is it "important" that Yokohama used walnut shell pieces in their winter tires? I guess that would bore you. To me its cool.

dnewton3, Also, it may be important to use glass and polymer fibers to avoid the tearing (ie, Purolator scandal) and also avoid the cellulose fibers absorbing oil and elongating. Also, dirt holding ability is higher with synthetic media than cellulose. If you aren't interested, I don't care.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
dnewton3, Also, it may be important to use glass and polymer fibers to avoid the tearing (ie, Purolator scandal) and also avoid the cellulose fibers absorbing oil and elongating. Also, dirt holding ability is higher with synthetic media than cellulose. If you aren't interested, I don't care.
Well designed and manufactured paper filters don't have any problem with the things you listed.

Originally Posted By: hatt
.Well designed and manufactured paper filters don't have any problem with the things you listed.

Are you saying the dirt holding capability is the same in a cellulose vs. synthetic/synth-blends then? That was one of my points. ... You can say the oil absorption and tearing problems are not just due to all-cellulose designs, maybe....

If you're clogging up paper filters with dirt and engine parts I suggest you make sure your AAA is up to date. So what if syn filters hold more if you don't need it.

Last edited:
If you're clogging up paper filters with dirt and engine parts I suggest you make sure your AAA is up to date. So what if syn filters hold more if you don't need it.

We are enthusiasts here and want the best, most reserve capacity, thats "what". You never know when your engine might need it, can't predict the future.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar

We are enthusiasts here and want the best, most reserve capacity, thats "what". You never know when your engine might need it, can't predict the future.

Then just buy a Fram Ultra and use it for 15K miles. Email Motorking and ask him if he can give out any details on the make-up of the Ultra synthetic media. I'm betting it's probably proprietary info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back