5/15 New 2.7 Million Vehicle GM Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, another recall on our Malibu.

The brake light thing happened to us a couple of years ago. My whole family had a wedding shower and afterwards my mother followed us home. She said the brakes lights were stuck on for half the ride.

I ended up pulling ALL the rear bulbs and cleaning the connections and installing all new bulbs. The connectors looked all burnt. They get VERY hot.

I hope the official recall letters come soon.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
So pretty much like Toyota.

Kinda, but with lower resale value.

Seriously, though, the recalls on our cars have been absurd. I know there was a fatality, but redesigned floor mat clips? (Which by the way wouldn't have held the third party mat in that incident anyway) I imagine some of these GM recalls are similarly pointless, but necessary due to the current media frenzy.

Several hundred complaints does seem high, though.

Yep my moms Rav4 has had a number of dumb recalls and stupid things that should not have broken.

The intermediate shaft like in the GM trucks clunked and the Toyota dealer refused to replace it under warranty without a fight, should have been a recall.

The water pump is now failing should have been a recall.

Oh and now some cross member under the rear suspension is being recalled for rust.

Everyone puts Toyota up on a pedestal but they break just like everything else.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My Japanese-built Honda is purported to be the most reliable made, and Ive had multiple recalls including valvesprings that break and trash the engine to PW sw incinerating the interior, etc. Seen 2013 Nissan Pathdfinders with control arms falling off and loss of steering, Subarus with disintregrating Ej and FB engines, A giant pile of replaced rotted-out Toyota truck frames at my Toyota dealer, you name it recalls and major TSB - everywhere!

GM ain't what it was in the 50's, 60's and 80's but my rented Malibu (2011) slaughters a Camry as a driver.

+1000 Arco.

Toyota and Honda can recall millions of vehicles, but it won't register with the fan base. The moment GM recalls their cars, it's proof they're making junk.

Completely accurate and reasonable. High volume means a LOT of cars and trucks. Then factor in the bean counters wanting cheep-cheep-cheaper parts, now see what you get?

Every car mfgr has exactly the same issues, just most of them aren't selling so many cars...

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
GM is making it hard to be a fan, may have to move onto Ford

After being a GM family for decades, we moved over to the blue oval in the 1970's and have never regretted that decision.

My wife just told me about a co worker that was on their way to Hatteras last weekend. They pull over to get gas and thought it was odd that they went thru a whole tank on a 4 hour all highway drive. Guy pulls up behind them and says ya'll are leaking all kinds of fuel, I've been behind you for a couple of miles. They are 100 miles from the nearest HONDA dealer. They had just gotten a letter about the recall but figured it could wait. Had the Odyssey towed 100 miles, dealer says we don't have the parts for the recall yet and offer no rental or anything. Family continued on to their vacation and on the way home they stop by the dealership. Car still isn't ready. They drive 3 more hours home in a rental. Drove back yesterday to pick up the Odyssey that they plan to trade in on any brand but a Honda, mainly because my wife told them about the service we got from a local Ford dealer when our Explorer's thermostat went out at 37k. (1k more than warranty). There was no recall but there was a TSB. Dealer offered without asking to tow/repair same day for ZERO charge. And oh yeah, we didn't buy the car from this Ford dealer. Guess who we bought our next Ford from?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I think the GM ignition switch recall was stupid...people caused their own problems by hanging 20 lbs of junk from the key ring.

Why is it only happening with GM cars? Don't people who drive other brands have other stuff on their key rings too?

Good for GM!

The manufacturer with the most documented technical service bulletins: LINK.

The manufacturer with the most documented recalls: LINK.

In short, if you attribute a quality vehicle with the least amount of recalls you should be looking at a Merkur or Yugo and least number of TSB's, Alfa Romeo.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My Japanese-built Honda is purported to be the most reliable made, and Ive had multiple recalls including valvesprings that break and trash the engine to PW sw incinerating the interior, etc. Seen 2013 Nissan Pathdfinders with control arms falling off and loss of steering, Subarus with disintregrating Ej and FB engines, A giant pile of replaced rotted-out Toyota truck frames at my Toyota dealer, you name it recalls and major TSB - everywhere!

GM ain't what it was in the 50's, 60's and 80's but my rented Malibu (2011) slaughters a Camry as a driver.

+1000 Arco.

Toyota and Honda can recall millions of vehicles, but it won't register with the fan base. The moment GM recalls their cars, it's proof they're making junk.

True, perception is everything:

Quote:
2013 - 2014 Voluntary Recalls
Toyota Announces Safety Recall of Certain Vehicles for Spiral Cable Assembly
Toyota Announces Safety Recall of Certain Vehicles for Spiral Cable Assembly
April 09, 2014
TORRANCE, Calif., April 9, 2014 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. today announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall involving approximately 1.3 million vehicles, including certain Model Year 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2008-2010 Highlander, 2009-2010 Tacoma, 2006-2008 RAV4 and 2006-2010 Yaris vehicles. ... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Recall of Certain Yaris and Scion xD Vehicles
Toyota Announces Recall of Certain Yaris and Scion xD Vehicles
April 09, 2014
TORRANCE, Calif., April 9, 2014 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. today announced that it will conduct a safety recall involving approximately 472,500 vehicles consisting of certain Model Year 2006-2010 Yaris Hatchback vehicles (approximately 158,000); certain Model Year 2007-2010 Yaris Sedan vehicles (approximately 250,500); and certain Model Year 2008-2010 Scion xD vehicles (approximately 64,000). ... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recall
Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recall
March 27, 2014
TORRANCE, Calif., March 27, 2014 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. today announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall of approximately 119,000 MY 2003-2004 Avalon sedans.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Enters Agreement with U.S. Attorney's Office Related to 2009-2010 Recalls
Toyota Enters Agreement with U.S. Attorney's Office Related to 2009-2010 Recalls
March 19, 2014
NEW YORK, NY, March 19, 2014 – Today, Toyota announced that it reached an agreement with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York to resolve its investigation initiated in February 2010 into the communications and decision-making processes related to the company’s 2009-2010 recalls to address potential “sticking” accelerator pedals and floor mat entrapment. As part of the agreement, Toyota will make a payment totaling $1.2 billion.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain Toyota Prius, RAV4, Tacoma and Lexus RX 350 Vehicles
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain Toyota Prius, RAV4, Tacoma and Lexus RX 350 Vehicles
February 12, 2014
TORRANCE, Calif., February 12, 2014 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it is advising the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of plans to conduct voluntary safety recalls of approximately 700,000 Model Year 2010-2014 Prius vehicles and, combined, approximately 260,000 Model Year 2012 Toyota RAV4, 2012-2013 Toyota Tacoma, and 2012-2013 Lexus RX 350 vehicles sold in the United States to address two separate issues.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Recall of Certain Model Year 2013-2014 Tacoma Pickup Trucks
November 07, 2013
TORRANCE, Calif., (Nov. 6, 2013) – Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. today announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall of approximately 4,000 Model Year 2013-2014 Tacoma 4 cylinder pickup trucks. ... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall
October 17, 2013
TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 17, 2013 - Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., today announced it will conduct a voluntary safety recall of approximately 803,000 Model Year 2012-2013 Camry, Camry Hybrid, Avalon, Avalon Hybrid, and Venza vehicles due to a problem with the air conditioning condenser unit housing.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall to Replace Wiper Switches
October 10, 2013
TORRANCE, CA October 10, 2013 – Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. today announced that it will conduct a non-compliance recall involving approximately 10,000 Model Year 2013 – 2014 Camry, Camry Hybrid, 2013MY Avalon, Avalon Hybrid and 2014MY Corolla vehicles to replace the wiper switch.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain Sienna Vehicles
September 26, 2013
TORRANCE, CA September 26, 2013 – Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. today announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall involving approximately 615,000 Sienna minivans from Model Years 2004-2005 and 2007-2009 to address problems with the shift lever assembly.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recalls
September 04, 2013
TORRANCE, Calif., Sept. 3, 2013 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. today announced that it will conduct two voluntary safety recalls. One involves approximately 133,000 MY 2006-2010 Highlander Hybrid and MY 2006-2008 Lexus RX 400h vehicles. The other involves approximately 102,000 MY 2006-2011 Lexus IS 350, IS 350C, and GS 350 vehicles.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain Tacoma Vehicles
August 07, 2013
TORRANCE, CA August 7, 2013 – Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. today announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall involving approximately 342,000 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab vehicles, produced from 2004 to 2011.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain Yaris Vehicles
July 03, 2013
TORRANCE, CA July 2, 2013 – Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. today announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall involving approximately 74 Model Year 2012 Toyota Yaris vehicles.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain Toyota Prius and Lexus HS 250h Vehicles
June 05, 2013
TORRANCE, Calif. (June 4, 2013) – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall involving approximately 87,000 model year 2010 Toyota Prius and Lexus HS 250h vehicles.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain Vehicles for the Front Passenger Airbag
April 11, 2013
TORRANCE, Calif., April 11, 2013 – Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. today announced that it will conduct a safety recall involving approximately 170,000 front passenger airbag inflators installed in several vehicle models.
... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recall of Certain 2007 through 2013 Model Year FJ Cruiser Vehicles
March 15, 2013
TORRANCE, Calif., March 15, 2013 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS), will conduct a safety recall involving approximately 209,000 FJ Cruiser vehicles.... more
Add To Cart
Toyota Announces Two Voluntary Safety Recalls of Certain 2003 and 2004 Corolla and 2006 Through Early 2012 Lexus IS Vehicles
January 30, 2013
TORRANCE, Calif., Jan. 30, 2013 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS), will conduct two separate safety recalls involving approximately 752,000 Corolla and Corolla Matrix vehicles and approximately 270,000 Lexus IS vehicles.... more

All manufacturers have their share of recalls.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Good for GM!

The manufacturer with the most documented technical service bulletins: LINK.

The manufacturer with the most documented recalls: LINK.

In short, if you attribute a quality vehicle with the least amount of recalls you should be looking at a Merkur or Yugo and least number of TSB's, Alfa Romeo.

Haha! Great post!

By that logic the Alfa is your BEST deal, guys...

Makes sense. I see GM vehicles almost every day with lighting issues, often they are only a year or two old.

I'm not a GM fan, but its sad that things aren't made the way they used to be.
frown.gif
Remember when people took pride in the products they sold? Now it is all about cutting corners and reducing costs in order to get as much profit as possible. This mentality obviously applies to many other manufacturers besides GM.

I agree with whoever it was that said its becoming hard to be a fan. It's hard to support an "American" company that builds vehicles elsewhere (Mexico), hides safety issues in order to save money, and has to be bailed out by the tax payers.

The recalls are certainly a step in the right direction. I hope the new CEO can turn things around.

I can commiserate with the tail lamp corrosion issue. I had a '97 Seville and that generation had very problematic tail lamp sockets. It was common to have to replace them all in both tail lamps due to corrosion. I don't recall them shorting anything else out, though.

The LED strip in the trunk lid was also a common issue, though mine never had that problem. You often used to see cars with half of the LED bar out or just certain segments.

If corroded lamp sockets are shorting out other vehicle systems, as they appear to be in the more modern cars, then they need to get that remedied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back