Napa Gold 1515 - 5,000 miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Napa Gold 1515 filter that was in use on my buddy's Jeep 4.0L for 5,000 miles with Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 10w30. The filter media was a little wavy all the way around, but besides that it was in good shape. The silicone valve was in good shape, the media was still strong and held together well, and there was no start up noise with this filter.

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

Looks decent. Pleats look so thin when compared to Frams, even Purolators. Different design but it works.

Just changed oil in E430, the Hengst cartridge filter made in Germany looks pretty good after 2 years 23k miles. There isn't any debris I can see, looks like it can be used for another 10-12k miles. Need to take a picture and post.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Try to pull the end caps off that filter .... I dare ya.
laugh.gif

Haha, I actually did pull on them... they didn't budge.
lol.gif

That's why I use Wix filters whenever possible. They have very good quality filters.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Looks good.

What causes the pleats to get distorted ?

Pressure caused by heavy oil or coolant/water/moisture in oil.

Looks good.

I was going to say the same thing.

perhaps b/c the filter is so TALL / TALL?

Looks pretty decent.

I am using the Fram TG equivalent right now. I cant wait to cut it open and see how well it held up. This along with the Mopar filter were the only 2 so far that didn't give me any start up noise.

Looks excellent to me, not concerned in the least about some wavy media. No effect on filter function. As for the thin pleat comment, not sure what that means. Perhaps it's because there's less space between pleats, ie., tight pleating. To me that's good thing. And this NG looks to have substantial media area. Solid looking construction.

Thanks for the pics.

Pleats densely packed, like OLD Purolator! I've actually picked up a few of these for the XJ from O'Reilly (WIX 51515) with the $5 off $5 deal, looks like a solid performer.

Originally Posted By: robcrx
Looks good.

Pressure caused by heavy oil or coolant/water/moisture in oil.

I favor the theory that the cellulose fibers absorb oil like sponges individually, causing them to elongate. No problem, the waviness. As long as no tears like we've seen in Purolators lately.

Another great looking Wix made filter. Lots of media as always, top quality construction and it all stays together.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Originally Posted By: David1
perhaps b/c the filter is so TALL / TALL?

That's what I've suggested after seeing a lot of these threads. The 1515 is a very large and long filter by today's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back