motor oil for ford 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under normal conditions you could use everything from TGMO 0W-20 to Rotella 15W-40 and be safe. Thinner oils work pretty good and if thicker oils hurt engines the sides of the roads up north would be littered with cars during the winter.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How many times do we have to go over the differences between the track pack and the standard GT? If it's not a track pack use 5w20 synthetic.
IDK. The 99 Vulcan was backspeced to 5w-20 and yet you continue to use the outdated spec. Why do you do that?

Because it drinks 5w30 1qt/1k

What oil/weights were used in the past?

It's had 30 weight forever, mostly 5w30 with an occasional run of 10w30 high mileage. It's been beat pretty hard I'm sure it's getting tired. This is the last time it gets synthetic, from now on going with defy 5w30 and topping off with conventional api sn. But it doesn't matter it's served it's useful life for me the next large repair it's getting junked. I hardly drive it anymore, less than 1k year now.

It's hard to figure out accurate consumption with the lower mileage too it could be seeping oil at the valve covers and could be as high as 1 quart every 500 miles but like I said I don't drive it much. If it is leaking it's not enough to leave drops.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

In a nutshell,this forum has turned into a total mess with the same topics discussed over and over and over.In return alot of members are either:

A)leaving OR B)not posting anymore because everything has been beat to death around here lately with topics like this and other topics that are covered day after day.

You seem to not understand how much you are exaggerating. And you forget that sometimes beating the dead horse is valuable. This site is for people to discuss oil, and that's what this thread is doing. If you don't like a bit of redundancy, then web forums aren't for you. It's inevitable. So I'd think it best not to cry wolf too early.

The facts:
Factory fill for OP was 5w-20.
OP wants to use 5w-30 and was hoping to find reaffirmation here.

The real question:
Will 5w-30 actually be harmful, and if not, are there any benefits from using it?

The dilemma:
Some would rather put focus on the fact that there are likely no benefits from 5w-30 in this vehicle, but they fail to see that it probably will not cause any harm either.

So what's the answer?
There is no one answer. This is because either oil will work for the OP.

This same topic, admittedly, has been thrown around alot, but maybe it is different for different vehicles. For instance, my truck's engine. It was originally spec'd for 5w-30, and then was backspec'd to 5w-20. I use 5w-30.

Instead of asking "why," ask "why not." If the OP wants to use 5w-30, I honestly think that's fine.

~ Triton

It's had 30 weight forever, mostly 5w30 with an occasional run of 10w30 high mileage. It's been beat pretty hard I'm sure it's getting tired. This is the last time it gets synthetic, from now on going with defy 5w30 and topping off with conventional api sn. But it doesn't matter it's served it's useful life for me the next large repair it's getting junked. I hardly drive it anymore, less than 1k year now.

It's hard to figure out accurate consumption with the lower mileage too it could be seeping oil at the valve covers and could be as high as 1 quart every 500 miles but like I said I don't drive it much. If it is leaking it's not enough to leave drops.
That old girl sounds like a good candidate for some 15w-40 HDEO just to see if it helps anything.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

You seem to not understand how much you are exaggerating. And you forget that sometimes beating the dead horse is valuable. This site is for people to discuss oil, and that's what this thread is doing. If you don't like a bit of redundancy, then web forums aren't for you. It's inevitable. So I'd think it best not to cry wolf too early.

The facts:

The real question:
Will 5w-30 actually be harmful, and if not, are there any benefits from using it?

The dilemma:
Some would rather put focus on the fact that there are likely no benefits from 5w-30 in this vehicle, but they fail to see that it probably will not cause any harm either.

So what's the answer?

This same topic, admittedly, has been thrown around alot, but maybe it is different for different vehicles. For instance, my truck's engine. It was originally spec'd for 5w-30, and then was backspec'd to 5w-20. I use 5w-30.

Instead of asking "why," ask "why not." If the OP wants to use 5w-30, I honestly think that's fine.

~ Triton

Well said. It is only fair to attempt to be impartial and weigh the information and make a common sense decision.

Yes, the warranty calls for 5w20 and a 30 weight isn't allowed for in the owner's manual - . Yes the FF is 5w20 and the Track Pack specifies 5w50.

I didn't see anyone saying what the Euro or Australian specifications are for this engine. Did anyone bother to look? There are plenty of threads where many other Ford vehicles are supposed to use 5w20 in the US, but overseas are using much heavier weights.

Bottom line question: will 5w30 do harm to the engine? IMO it will not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato

The facts:

The real question:

The dilemma:

So what's the answer?

~ Triton

Well said. It is only fair to attempt to be impartial and weigh the information and make a common sense decision.

Yes, the warranty calls for 5w20 and a 30 weight isn't allowed for in the owner's manual - . Yes the FF is 5w20 and the Track Pack specifies 5w50.

I didn't see anyone saying what the Euro or Australian specifications are for this engine. Did anyone bother to look? There are plenty of threads where many other Ford vehicles are supposed to use 5w20 in the US, but overseas are using much heavier weights.

Bottom line question: will 5w30 do harm to the engine? IMO it will not.

I hate to add some confusion.
And I'm not sure what the owners manuals say.
I'm surprised at how much oil is in these things (8.5 litres)

But I just did a quick and dirty check of some different oil company's website recommendations out of curiosity.

Castrol don't make a recommendation, but they refer you to a phone help line.

Valvolene wont make a recommendation, but say to "refer to dealer".
But for the 5.4 litre they say to use a 0w-40 grade.

Shell recommend Helix Ultra in 5w-40 grade for 2008-2009 model years, but nothing after those years. Perhaps it's only for the 5.4 litre engine?

Mobil recommend Mobil 1 in a 0w-20 grade.

Penrite recommend an API SN 5w-20 grade that complies with Ford spec's M2C925-A/M2C930-A/M2C945-A.
And they also recommend an API SN, ILSAC GF-5, GM dexos 1, 5w-30 grade that complies with Ford spec M2C946-A, GM4718M/6094M.

It would seem the options are wide open, and a 5w-30 grade wouldn't necessarily do any harm.

I do note the different Ford spec's, that apply to the different grades of Penrite oil they recommend.
I think Penrite are conservative in their recommendations at this stage in that the 5w-20 grade will be for while the vehicles are still under warranty, whilst still leaving the door open to the use of a thicker oil.
I'd be willing to bet, they would be inclined to drop the thin oil recommendation after the vehicles are out of warranty and just go with the 5w-30 grade(or thicker?) as they are inclined to do.

Originally Posted By: Riptide
Seems relevant.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2981823/1

Looks like he couldn't even get his non track pack car to enter limp mode and never saw temps over 230. And the analysis showed the 20 viscosity oil doing fine.
I thought about that. No one can get their GT into limp mode when tracking it. The track pack GT would be even harder to get oil temps up that high with the upgraded cooling. Why the 5W-50 recommendations if 5w-20 is the ideal weight for this engine? If you just needed a little margin for error you could have spec'd 5W-30 syn.

Why the 5W-50 recommendations if 5w-20 is the ideal weight for this engine? If you just needed a little margin for error you could have spec'd 5W-30 syn.

A legitimate question. A question for which we will never have an answer for short of speculation. Much like Whitehead's remarks about using a 20 viscosity oil we just won't ever have much to go on because he didn't share any additional information explaining his statements in detail. I think we'll just have to do the best we can on the information we have at our disposal. The real world results we can share amongst ourselves.

Bottom line. The engine will tolerate a range of viscosity. You will need to keep using the 20 if you want to maintain warranty support. The 20 will not harm the engine either. There are no oil related failures due to using the 20 viscosity in this engine that I am aware of.

At this point I'm thinking about sticking with the 20 viscosity now. If anything because the real world results don't seem to show any reason not to.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

In a nutshell,this forum has turned into a total mess with the same topics discussed over and over and over.In return alot of members are either:

A)leaving OR B)not posting anymore because everything has been beat to death around here lately with topics like this and other topics that are covered day after day.

The facts:

The real question:

The dilemma:

So what's the answer?

~ Triton

This same topic was covered before,do a search.You can rehash subjects only so far. And I'll say it AGAIN as well,this is how other members feel as well.New information is good,but we re-hash everything.

5w20 vs 5w30 threads are beat to death around here for just another example.I could list more,but frankly I dont have the time.

This engine is used in the FPV FG Falcon in a supercharged form in Australia, they call it the BOSS 335. Ford recommends Castrol Edge 5W20, which apparently is not easy to find in reading some forums.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
This engine is used in the FPV FG Falcon in a supercharged form in Australia, they call it the BOSS 335. Ford recommends Castrol Edge 5W20, which apparently is not easy to find in reading some forums.

Yes the engine is indeed a supercharged 335 kw variant that's fitted to the current FPV(Ford Performance Vehicles) FG Falcon GT's.

5w-20 grade oils are not readily available here.
I've never seen the Castrol Edge 5w-20 grade oil sold in retail packs before, so i
just looked up the TDS for it.
I also see that the Head of Programs for FPV, says that this oil is the only one that's recommended.

It looks as though it's most likely "the oil" that's used at the dealers as a service refill, and probably only comes in a 200 litre drum at this stage.
It meets Ford spec M2C930-A, ILSAC GF-4, API SM.
It's stated to be a part synthetic.
Castrol also state, that it's been specifically co-engineered in partnership with FPV for the latest 5.0 litre V8.

More interestingly there's a special note that states "Castrol Edge 5w-20 is not recommended for diesel engine applications or petrol engines where higher viscosity oils are recommended; e.g. 10w-30, 15w-40. etc."

They must think it's too thin to use in other applications that are engineered to use a thicker grade of oil?

It's certainly food for thought.
After looking this up, I would be inclined to think there's no practical advantage in using a thicker oil in this application.

Last edited:
I also have a 2014 GT non-track pack car and use 5W-20 Motorcraft blend. While the car is under warranty, I will continue to use a 5W-20 that meets the Ford spec. I have already had to fight with Ford to fix a minor warranty issue on this car so I don't want to give them any ammo by using something other than the recommended viscosity in case I end up having an engine problem.

I'm also not going to claim I know more than the engineers who developed this engine so I'm going to stay with their recommendation.

Vehicles have been using 5W-20 for years with no issues and since Ford has back speced a lot of their engines to use 5W-20, to me shows that they have confidence in this viscosity.

I don't think they did it for CAFE reasons since it shouldn't apply in used vehicles.

To the OP, I would stay with the 5W-20 at least until the warranty is over and then do what you feel comfortable with.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I also have a 2014 GT non-track pack car and use 5W-20 Motorcraft blend. While the car is under warranty, I will continue to use a 5W-20 that meets the Ford spec. I have already had to fight with Ford to fix a minor warranty issue on this car so I don't want to give them any ammo by using something other than the recommended viscosity in case I end up having an engine problem.

I'm also not going to claim I know more than the engineers who developed this engine so I'm going to stay with their recommendation.

Vehicles have been using 5W-20 for years with no issues and since Ford has back speced a lot of their engines to use 5W-20, to me shows that they have confidence in this viscosity.

I don't think they did it for CAFE reasons since it shouldn't apply in used vehicles.

To the OP, I would stay with the 5W-20 at least until the warranty is over and then do what you feel comfortable with.

Wayne

My son-in-laws new F250, full four door, 8ft bed, Ford truck has the 6. something engine and it calls for 5-20, and there are no cafe requirements for it. No fuel mileage guesstaments came with the truck. He will use this truck for very heavy hauling and he will use M1 5-20 the first OC. A 20wt oil will be fine for your Ford as well.

Wow...4 pages in this post and less than 5 answers to the OP's question is pretty pathetic, and a reason to lose members. To answer your question Riptide, this great UOA was posted yesterday on a 5.0 Coyote.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3373468/Pennzoil_Ultra_5W20_10,377mi_2#Post3373468

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stang40
Wow...4 pages in this post and less than 5 answers to the OP's question is pretty pathetic, and a reason to lose members. To answer your question Riptide, this great UOA was posted yesterday on a 5.0 Coyote.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3373468/Pennzoil_Ultra_5W20_10,377mi_2#Post3373468
You didn't help answer his question either. He was asking about 5W-30. And I wasn't too thrilled to see 1.6 qts of make up oil. I'm 9K in and haven't burnt any noticeable amount of oil. Maybe he was driving it hard.

Actually, he didn't.... not ONE SINGLE POST of him asking our opinion on his use of 5w30.....but I'm not gonna argue with you like a child.

Last edited:
I have run Crown Vic Police Interceptors about as hard as you can run a car on 5w-20. I have also run them mighty hard on 15w-40. The old modular 4.6 didnt care a bit what was in it. That engine didnt have VVT and all that new hotness though. I currently have an E350 and an F250 both with the 5.4. They both get Mobil 5w-20 if that tells you anything about my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back