Itchy To Try Something New

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about 1k mikes away from an OCI in the Audi (8k interval). I am also planning my first UOA when that time comes.

I have run M1 0w-40 in it since I've owned it. My only complaint is oil usage. Not the M1's fault since the 2.8 is a known leaker. That being said, I'm feeling the itch to experiment.

For the summer I am considering running Motul X-cess 5w-40 (found a decent price, haven't bought it though) with Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver to see if consumption goes down.

What are your thoughts?

If you're willing to run shorter drains, this undemanding engine would do just fine on Maxlife 10W-40.
I had great experience with this oil in reducing the leaks and consumption in my old BMW, using the lime flavored version.
I also posted a very good UOA of this oil after 4K in the old dear.
Cheap and effective.
Try it.

All good thoughts. So far the ideas are:

M1 w/Liqui-Moly
Motul w/Liqui-Moly
Maxlife or another HM
Rotella

Since the 2.8 is not known for being demanding on oil I don't forsee any issues with straying from a VAG 502 certified oil. Does anyone think differently? What, out of the offered options do you think is best?

300v with zddp

jk.. dont do that..

i always say go with Pennzoil.. but ester oils are my number 1 number 1.. just hard to get a hold of.

Last edited:
It sounds like a nice old Audi, but why pay more for oil than you really need to for this engine?
It doesn't really need a VAG spec oil.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It sounds like a nice old Audi, but why pay more for oil than you really need to for this engine?

But if he's running longer OCI, he's better served by synthetic, and the synthetic he's running now (M1) is probably one of the cheapest ones out there already.

I have enough M1 0w-40 for one more change and a couple of makeup fills, so for now I guess I will do that and put it in with the Motor Oil Saver and see what kind of difference it makes. After that I will evaluate whether to switch to Rotella or a synthetic HM. I'll cool my jets on the Motul for the time being.

Why?

What do you know that VAG engineers don't?

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Why?

I do know that the oil spec used is an all purpose one and that what an NA 2.8 or 2.5 or 2.slow needs isn't in the same ballpark as what a 2.0t needs. The VAG specs are also intended for long drains.
For those owners of NA VAG products not using the long drain potential of the spec oil, the spec oil is just a waste of cash.
OTOH, M1 W-40 is probably cheaper here than the least costly conventional oil is in the UK, so I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
Anyway, didn't you run a blend of oils of unknown suitability in your own Clio just beacuse you happened to have them on hand and come here asking if it would be okay?
You must have thought that many of us here had insights beyond what the maker recommended.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Why?

I do know that the oil spec used is an all purpose one and that what an NA 2.8 or 2.5 or 2.slow needs isn't in the same ballpark as what a 2.0t needs. The VAG specs are also intended for long drains.
For those owners of NA VAG products not using the long drain potential of the spec oil, the spec oil is just a waste of cash.
OTOH, M1 W-40 is probably cheaper here than the least costly conventional oil is in the UK, so I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
Anyway, didn't you run a blend of oils of unknown suitability in your own Clio just beacuse you happened to have them on hand and come here asking if it would be okay?
You must have thought that many of us here had insights beyond what the maker recommended.

And there is a good reason why is cheaper!

Mobil now makes a few HM synthetic oils, and you can get them at Wal Mart. Some are not energy conserving oils, so the extra HTHS would make the oil more similar to a European oil.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.aspx

Good luck using it. Oils and oil additives can't be expected to cover up a design flaw in the engine.

Is the oil leaking from the front cam seals or crank seal? If it is, you can't delay in replacing them because the oil will quickly destroy the timing belt.

Bump!

I finally changed out the oil on the Audi Monday at 9200 miles. I refilled with M1 0w-40, 150ml of MoS2, and a can of Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver. We'll see as time progresses if that makes any difference in the leaking/consumption.

To be honest, I haven't been able to trace where the leak is coming from. It has new front cam and crank seals and from what I can see there is no oil on the timing belt (through a small plastic cover)... it must be coming from someplace else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back