Bugatti required oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: quarterliter
Koenigsegg's engines are much more impressive than the veyrons. 270HP per liter on the new ONE:1. All from a twin turbo v8. No need for a w16 whiz bang engine. And even the most powerful bugatti does not have more than 1340 hp or one megawatt. It's amazing that a small swedish company could build such a competitive super car.

I thought the CCR was supercharged?

Must be remembering wrongly.

that whole car is a band aid for a marketing gimmick with "omg 4 turbos!" of an engine.. 1000 hp is not hard to get.. could of been done very easily with a v8 running 30 weight oil. ... sorry i never really liked the car. give me a p1, 918, or laferrari (without the mirrors) any day

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Ignorance is alive and well on BITOG.

Was there ever any doubt?

Originally Posted By: MotorsportsX
that whole car is a band aid for a marketing gimmick with "omg 4 turbos!" of an engine.. 1000 hp is not hard to get.. could of been done very easily with a v8 running 30 weight oil. ... sorry i never really liked the car. give me a p1, 918, or laferrari (without the mirrors) any day

These days 1000hp isn't as hard to make as people may think. A few years ago I had a car that made 800whp on a 2.0 engine. However making a 1000hp with a bumper to bumper warranty and meeting emissions is a whole another story. It takes a lot of work to do something like that. How anyone could call this car a band aid is just crazy to me. As an engineer by trade cars like this bring a huge smile to my face. I love every detail about it. I would think anyone who was a car enthusiast would appreciate it also but I guess not. People should be happy car manufacturers even make cars like this anymore because they are a dying breed.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If the engine is never run hard enough or long enough to generate any significant heat then it doesn't need an oil grade thick enough to retain adequate viscosity under the most extreme operating conditions.

It can probably do as well as necessary on retreaded tyres rather than $17,000 a set also...if you aren't using the performance, then obviously you don't need the tyres either...or the brakes for that matter, and the aero braking thing really doesn't work that well at 55...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It can probably do as well as necessary on retreaded tyres rather than $17,000 a set also...if you aren't using the performance, then obviously you don't need the tyres either...or the brakes for that matter, and the aero braking thing really doesn't work that well at 55...

Well said!

Now I'm imagining a Veyron with tiny brakes and 155-section LRR all-season tires...

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: quarterliter
Koenigsegg's engines are much more impressive than the veyrons. 270HP per liter on the new ONE:1. All from a twin turbo v8. No need for a w16 whiz bang engine. And even the most powerful bugatti does not have more than 1340 hp or one megawatt. It's amazing that a small swedish company could build such a competitive super car.

I thought the CCR was supercharged?

Must be remembering wrongly.

The CCR is an older car which was supercharged. The One:1 is a new limited production car bad off the agera R, which uses variable vein 3d printed turbos.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
Originally Posted By: Mathson
Yeah like number of horses you have under the hood has something to do with the viscosity of the oil.

Each engine of Boeing 777 has 110 000 hp and it's using oil that is 5 cSt at 100c as per D50TF1, class B.

I didn't realise they were piston engines on those...

Ouh didn't you..

The point being the oil used is determined by the design of an engine, not by number of hp it produces.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mathson
The point being the oil used is determined by the design of an engine, not by number of hp it produces.

breath of fresh air...

The point I was making is that, as a rule, 1000hp engine will run hotter than a 100hp engine thus thinning the oil, requiring a heavier viscosity to compensate.

At least use a piston engine as an example, turbofans are nothing like piston engines in their lube requirements, they also don't produce 110000 hp, they produce about 110000 lbf of thrust.

Last edited:
from what I understand there's only three types of 10w60 available. the easiest one to obtain would be the castrol 10w60 that ur Local bmw dealer sells. while you have to go online or have a world pac account or IMC account to obtain Redline Motor Oil and Lubrimolly

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If the engine is never run hard enough or long enough to generate any significant heat then it doesn't need an oil grade thick enough to retain adequate viscosity under the most extreme operating conditions.

You make perfect sense in this post.
This car will never be driven hard enough by most of its owners for the oil or the tires to actually matter.
Glad that you got the idea.

10.gif

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I suspect Shannow was being a bit tongue in cheek

Actually, I started posting that way, then realised that one of my peeves in this country is that if a vehicle is fitted with certain speed rated tyres, it is illegal to downgrade, even 'though the fines for even running at 100MPH are over three grand...no-one in this country "needs" a tyre rated over 100MPH.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that we're having a conversation about what's "necessary" for "most drivers" in a Bugatti Veyron.

Just shades of grey...no-one needs more than 5W-20 int heir Mustang for normal road use (and on the track, they don't need all the horsepower that they paid for either)...just shades of grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back