99 Jetta 2.0 coolant drain and fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family member bought a 99 Jetta 2.0L and I want to go over it and freshen everything up since we don't know the service history and I'll be taking care of this car.

It says it has G12 coolant. I've never worked on a German car before so I have just about every other coolant besides that. I've read to order online since dealer is crazy expensive. Does G12 come in 50/50 mix and also concentrated bottles? I try to by the concentrated bottles and add my own water to save money.

Any special bleeding techniques for this car? I have an airlift and also lisle spill free funnel but with the reservoir tank on this car I will probably just fill "normally" unless you think either of those would work better?

Where is a good place online to order all the OEM fluids for Volkswagens? I'm going to need coolant, ATF, brake fluid, plugs, etc.

If you want to stick to OEM standards, you can also use Zerex G-05, it is a more readily available option.

Thanks guys. Do you know if the G12 stuff comes full strength or is pre diluted 50/50? It was hard to tell from what I've found online. It looks to come full strength but I want to be 100% sure before I order it.

Also is there anything special to filling or bleeding these cars? I didn't see a bleeder screw or anything. I have an airlift and lisle spill free funnel but it looks like I can just dump the fluid in.

Originally Posted By: scott37300
Thanks guys. Do you know if the G12 stuff comes full strength or is pre diluted 50/50? It was hard to tell from what I've found online. It looks to come full strength but I want to be 100% sure before I order it.

Also is there anything special to filling or bleeding these cars? I didn't see a bleeder screw or anything. I have an airlift and lisle spill free funnel but it looks like I can just dump the fluid in.

Depends where you get it from. I believe the Pentofrost is sold as concentrate. It should be labeled clearly on the bottle.

It doesn't really matter in regard to the coolant but do you know if this is a 1999 model or a 1999.5 model? The '99 model is an A3 platform and the '99.5 model is an A4 platform. See if it has four wheel lugs or five.

Buying coolant from the dealership really isn't that expensive. Normally it costs about $25 per gallon but it's concentrated so this makes 2 gallons of 50/50 anti-freeze. When you buy on-line you generally get only a liter or 1.5 liters and normally pay more per ounce than the gallon jugs at the dealership.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I saw G12 on an Advance Auto Parts shelf the other day so check around.

+1 Pentosin SF (G12) is the correct fluid for this car. Its $15 for 1.5 litres full strength, 2 bottles will yield 6 litres of fluid 50/50. You need about 5 litres for a total fill.
No special bleeding needed, just fill the ball half full then run the engine until the fan comes on at least one time then fill to the full mark.
Do not use substitute coolants in this cooling system. G05, G11, and G12++ all contain silicates to some degree G12 does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back