Sidewall bubble on runflat tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I thought the sidewalks were fairly different, and given the higher strength, I was pretty surprised to see a bubble.

These are runflats on a 2011 BMW 135i that just crossed 10k miles. Dunlop SP Sport 01 in 215/40R-18, y rated. Or pressure is 39 front, 41 rear.

Just one big lump.

B3E08395-6E32-4747-920A-24E9B9C637B1_zps20vs7rwx.jpg

91B9FF80-15FB-4934-9706-06903E752814_zpsme2afweh.jpg

I know driving in PA there are some really horrid frost heaves on the interstates that can really slam a car. Still, no excuse given that I drive pretty carefully and ways stay on top of pressures.

At 10k miles, do I have a claim with Dunlop? Bmw under warranty? How should I best proceed?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
At 10k miles, do I have a claim with Dunlop? Bmw under warranty?

Not unless you have dedicated road hazard insurance.

I'm thinking both Dunlop and BMW will tell you that the tire got damaged because you hit something and not because the tire is defective.

You're SOL on that one unless you had a road hazard warranty.

Yet another reason why I loathe run-flats, and am glad the M3 doesn't have them (though I suspect the can of fix-a-flat in the trunk will probably screw me one day).

Originally Posted By: dparm

Yet another reason why I loathe run-flats, and am glad the M3 doesn't have them (though I suspect the can of fix-a-flat in the trunk will probably screw me one day).

Except that Ive seen sidewall bubbles on lots of other non-RFT tires.

If anything, Im surprised at this because of the fact that RFT tires have supposedly stronger sidewalls. I guess not the ply that prevents this...

Originally Posted By: dparm

Except that Ive seen sidewall bubbles on lots of other non-RFT tires.

If anything, Im surprised at this because of the fact that RFT tires have supposedly stronger sidewalls. I guess not the ply that prevents this...

Right, no argument that bubbles can happen to anything, but it's rarely a defect and usually the result of an impact. Happened to my dad's car once because a truck spilled some debris in the road and he ran it over. The Discount Tire road hazard warranty replaced it free of charge.

The lovely ownership of <=45 series. 55 series seems to be a nice balance between impact resistance and decent handling. Wife on her Legacy GT has killed two tires in similar fashion even with an extra split. Both cases lucked out in that it was beginning or end of ownership of tire since matched tires required.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
that certainly looks more like an impact than a belt separation.

Sure could be. Like I said, in repaired frost heaves, which are horrible in PA (which I can't understand since their gas tax is higher than ours) is an issue.

Still, what surprised me most is that this happened to a RFT tire. Why is this surprising? Because I'd have thought that the strengthened sidewalls would protect and prevent better.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The lovely ownership of div>

Yeah though these are like 220 wear rating, they are about like new after 10k. I'd gave thought they would be at half tread.

I do personally think that you can't do much better that 215/55r-16 for a good balance of performance, looks, and ride. This car is more performance oriented with very big brakes, I get it, but a bit more sidewall probably wouldn't have bothered me...

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
that certainly looks more like an impact than a belt separation.

Sure could be. Like I said, in repaired frost heaves, which are horrible in PA (which I can't understand since their gas tax is higher than ours) is an issue.

Still, what surprised me most is that this happened to a RFT tire. Why is this surprising? Because I'd have thought that the strengthened sidewalls would protect and prevent better.

I think the stiffer sidewalls can't flex as much before suffering damage, as a more flexible normal sidewall? I had a set of old alloy rims given to me with a tire with a bulge like that, but they had hit the curb hard enough to dent the rim... I think they were 205/60R15's or something like that.

Frost heaves won't bubble a sidewall. They'll wear out a set of shocks , though.

If all you hit was frost heaves - this was a manufacturing defect.

Last edited:
This is not a defect. Run flats just takes a bigger hole to hit and ruin it. When you hit a hole the tire gets cut on the inner liner by the rim flange, then air get in between the layers of rubber, making the sidewall bulge out. Chances are the rear rim flange is bent too. Usually the outer sidewall gets the bubble, because the outer rim flange is stiffer, and the rear flange has more flex, and gives before the tire.

........Still, what surprised me most is that this happened to a RFT tire. Why is this surprising? Because I'd have thought that the strengthened sidewalls would protect and prevent better.

Just to clear up a misconception:

There is a difference between strength and stiffness. RFT's are stiffer, but not necessarily stronger.

Besides, there is always an object/speed that will damage a tire. The alternative is to damage the wheel - which is a whole lot more expensive.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Frost heaves won't bubble a sidewall. They'll wear out a set of shocks , though.

If all you hit was frost heaves - this was a manufacturing defect.

There is one that comes to mind on I-76, where the car was slammed so hard I couldnt believe it. It was a connection between I-95 and 76, so it likely wanst even full interstate speed. But it was so hard that it is still in memory... And Ill bet that was the cause.

Originally Posted By: Rand
are you the only driver?

Yesm and I know that Ive not hit anything with it (hard to do since its the driver's side, so no curbs unless one way street, etc), could have been a pothole but I think it was the frost heave from above...

Originally Posted By: Traction
This is not a defect. Run flats just takes a bigger hole to hit and ruin it. When you hit a hole the tire gets cut on the inner liner by the rim flange, then air get in between the layers of rubber, making the sidewall bulge out. Chances are the rear rim flange is bent too. Usually the outer sidewall gets the bubble, because the outer rim flange is stiffer, and the rear flange has more flex, and gives before the tire.

Sure hope the rim isnt bent. Removal and check is the only way to know, so I may do that myself at some point too... Wonder if it would be observable without dismounting the tire. Hope its just a damaged tire and not a wheel...

Update:

Contacted Dunlop, provided info and they gave me a case number and the recommendation to take the car to an authorized Dunlop dealer.

I went to a Goodyear tire store today, figuring the Goodyear branded ones may be given more leeway to spend the time on it. They looked, saw no indication of it being from hitting anything, so then had to dismount it to investigate further. They did so and saw no evidence of it being my doing.

The car has about 10500 miles. The tires originally had 10/32 tread, and they all measured 8/32 all around.

The main advisor looked, made the call that there was no basis of it being my doing, and called Dunlop.

They came back that since it was over a year old, and had 2/32 of wear (both of which are the conditions for a totally free tire), they couldn't do a free swap, but would give me a new tire for $80 or so, plus mount and balance ($16 or so).

Better than buying a new tire, which is $280 or so on tire rack, and $340 in store. They will have the tire Monday. I'm not terribly worried about the 2/32 difference in tread on the old and new tires. I'll age them out before I wear them out at this rate. So much for high performance tires only lasting 20k miles...

I guess I'm happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back