BMW confusion, why not just use M1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting tired of following BMW's flip flops and coded messages on motor oil.

My owner's manual says LL-01 0W-30 or 0W-40 and that 5W-30 and 5W-40 are satisfactory also.

The oil cap says "BMW recommends Castrol" but their version of Castrol is 5W-30 and comes in a BMW bottle.

And no LL-01 5W-30 Castrol is out there at "normal" retail.

Now with SOPUS being BMW's new vendor of choice, I'm sure Shell Helix or a Euro PUP is going to find its way into the BMW bottle.

An LL-01 5W-30 Euro PUP is probably 3 years out in SOPUS's retail planning horizon.

I'm thinking I'll let the dealer install BMW's oil of choice on the prepaid 10,000 mile maintenance intervals.

But when I do my intermediate changes, I'm going to use M1 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

That'll be just fine. Castrol 0w-40 is your other readily available and low priced option.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That'll be just fine. Castrol 0w-40 is your other readily available and low priced option.

I haven't really forgiven BP for the Florida Panhandle yet.

This is as good excuse as any to break ranks with the BMW/Castrol mantra.

LOL! OK.

Also, amazon still sells PU 5w-40 for about $36/case with subscribe&save and free shipping. Alas, that's still more expensive than M1 at walmart.

Good for you! Too many short memories in this declining country. M1 0W-40 is an excellent choice for your application and climate.

...My owner's manual says LL-01 0W-30 or 0W-40 and that 5W-30 and 5W-40 are satisfactory also.

The oil cap says "BMW recommends Castrol" but their version of Castrol is 5W-30 and comes in a BMW bottle.

German-Belgian Castrol 0w-30 is easily available at Autozones, a slightly thinner alternative to the good M1 0w-40, why not use that? Actually I think you could also use the Castrol Edge Extended gold jugs at walmart, 5w-30, a very good synthetic itself.

Last edited:
He already said why he didn't want to use Castrol and I applaud him for his stance. M1 0W-40 is a better oil and is really nothing more than a heavy 30-grade anyway.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
...My owner's manual says LL-01 0W-30 or 0W-40 and that 5W-30 and 5W-40 are satisfactory also.

German-Belgian Castrol 0w-30 is easily available at Autozones, a slightly thinner alternative to the good M1 0w-40, why not use that? Actually I think you could also use the Castrol Edge Extended gold jugs at walmart, 5w-30, a very good synthetic itself.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Win.

Why not just stick with dealer 5w30 for your intermediate changes? You may also avoid consumption issues due to flipping back and forth.

I'm assuming your vehicle is NOT on the new 10k/yr OCI?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Good for you! Too many short memories in this declining country. M1 0W-40 is an excellent choice for your application and climate.

lol.gif
I guess you're just going to give a pass to XOM for the whole Valdez thing in Alaska then?

No, but they're not BRITISH Petroliam either. And I buy Dawn dish soap exclusively.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

lol.gif
I guess you're just going to give a pass to XOM for the whole Valdez thing in Alaska then?

They're not "British Petroliam" either.

No, but they're not BRITISH Petroliam either. And I buy Dawn dish soap exclusively.

lol.gif

I do like Dawn dish soap. That has saved my white carpet so many times! It's not a good idea to rebuild driveshafts on your white carpet ....

Sorry, spelling nazi. Didn't think this thread was so serious. Petroleum. Happy?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

lol.gif

He already said why he didn't want to use Castrol and I applaud him for his stance. M1 0W-40 is a better oil and is really nothing more than a heavy 30-grade anyway.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar

Better?

I'd like to believe so however look at the bottle for the Porsche spec and if it meets it then Porsche feels all oils certified to meet their spec are equal,no matter the brand.
So if that's how Porsche feels who are we to say which is better.
I certainly like the M1 more than Castrol,even though I'm using the Belgian version in my charger right now.
I'm still buying based on price. I wish I could pay American Walmart prices,sometimes I do thanks to Rikstaker. But that's not always the case.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Maybe he was referring to Liam Geddes, the BP Intervention and Abandonment Consultant.
smile.gif

Use anything high quality that matches anythign on manual...

Synthetic SN rated will be amazing regardless, dont make it complicated on yourself.

If you care about warranty stuff, just buy german castrol or mobil1
that matches any of the 4 numbers you mentioned.

but how "synthetic" is a store brand syn vs a name brand "conventional"

ie napa 5w20 syn vs PYB 5w20

lol.gif

I am not a fan of XOM, but in all fairness the Valdez was the result of one man.'s irresponsibility. BP's spill was part of a corporate cost cutting measure which intentionally ignored corrective action and safety regulations. So SilverC6 is right.

I own a condo on the Gulf so I got to see the BP impact in real time.

But don't think I'm a raging tree-hugger or anything.

I might feel the same way about XOM if I owned a place in Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back