Recommendations for Mid-size Sedan, 15-20K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the big knock against the BMW's (or almost any of the german cars) is the fuel cost compared to "regular" cars that take regular gas and get better mileage too.
Could be $1-2k per year more in gas, plus expensive tire sizes, etc...
Maybe try a diesel Passat for a nice euro driving car? But I would try to stay with a common 4 cyl mid size car for lowest overall cost per mile.

I thought the OP said he wanted something reliable with a low cost of ownership.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I thought the OP said he wanted something reliable with a low cost of ownership.
smirk.gif

bingo. 500 mi/week and economical doesn't scream CPO BMW to me. Or crown vic (for the other canned BITOG rec's)

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Get a Buick Lucerne.

^^Those are NICE cars!

Yes; should be quiet and comfortable.

I'm enjoying the ride and handling of my '11 Buick Regal, the seats in which I find comfortable for my 30-40 minute commute. My 70% city driving mpg is hovering around 23. "Sporty," yes, but a pleasure to commute in (in CXL trim; the Turbo and GS models may not be as comfortable for you).

So you may want to look at Buick. The smaller Verano and larger LaCrosse, which replaced the Lucerne, are also interesting choices, though the LaCrosse may not be down in your price range yet.

^^This. Definitely go test drive a Buick. One of my fave cars and one of the best imo.

If you can stretch your budget a touch, I'd buy new. New Accord LX can be had for a little north of 20k, ditto the Mazda6, although as has already been noted, the 6 has more road noise. I've heard good things about the Altima seats, but I can't get over the exterior-the front 3/4 view makes me sea-sick.

If mid-size criteria is not absolute the new for '14 Mazda3 is getting very good reviews, can be had for under 20k, and has an EPA estimate of 41mpg hwy. I like the 5-door especially.

I just went through this but I was trying to keep the price a few grand lower than what you're working with. I ended up with the Camry you see in my signature.

If I was restricted to the Camry and I was looking for one in your price range I'd probably look harder for a Camry SE.

As far as other options are concerned, it doesn't seem like you have any genuinely bad choices in this segment and in this price range. Lots of great cars to choose from.

One car you may want to test drive is a new Altima. We discovered that locally we could get a brand new one for about $19k (price + destination). It's not fun, but it is supremely comfortable, well equipped for the price, and gets excellent fuel economy.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. BITOG comes through again!

A few notes...

I originally was going to keep it to Japanese mid-size, but am very open to pretty much anything. And since I'm in no hurry to buy, I can take my time and test drive a lot of different cars.

It doesn't seem like there's a BMW that would fit my criteria. That being said, an E90 sedan, while not being what I'm looking for may enchant me into losing all sense of the purchase, so I'm not even going to risk the possibility there, enticing as it may be.

As far as interior space, they way I will test is if I can sit in the driver seat, set to my height, and then sit behind in the back seat comfortably it will work. By comfortably it's not only the seat comfort but my knees can't touch the back of the front seat. At some point I'll have other adults in the car, and my son is getting pretty tall.

There's something about each manufacturer that I like. Japanese cars have the perception of reliability and are generally ergonomically sound. European cars have well sorted steering and ride. Korean manufacturers offer a lot of features. American cars have (relatively speaking) low parts cost and a vast dealer network (although the Japanese makes aren't far behind).

I believe I can get a lot of car for this price, so I'm looking towards the low end of the price range. If there's a value out there, I'm looking to find it.

Will post back when I do some more research or go on some test drives!

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I'd say Mazda6, but you want quieter. Maybe the Cruz eco?

Definitely get something with good mpgs for CA gas prices and 500 mi/week!!!

Mazda6 + sound deadening...

= Lincoln MKZ

Originally Posted By: mjk
Avalon

These are a pretty awesome value in the $15k to $20k range. But if you have a look at these you might also consider looking at the Lexus ES... also a good value in that price range.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Have a look at the domestics just for the seating. It seems that a shorter seat cushion is more of a japanese car issue. My Dad complains of the same thing in most japanese cars.
To get a good adjustable seat, you probably will have to go to a used car to stay under $20k, but maybe a new base Camry seat will work for you, need to try it out.

German cars usually have great seats.

Maybe he can get lucky and find a deal on a current VW Passat. The current ones aren't as fancy as the B5 and B5.5, but they are far simpler to work on. The gasoline engine now uses a timing chain instead of a belt. Even if you did have to have work done, you wouldn't be stuck dissembling the whole front end of the car.

The base turbo engine uses 87 octane fuel, and gets good MPG.

With careful shopping, 20K will buy you a wide range of new cars.
You might be able to get a new Accord or Camry for that kind of money.

I have been buying cars for 50 years.I am a reader of Consumer reports magazine.I work for a company that has a number of people that drive 40K plus a year for work.I of course know all about their vehicles and how they are holding up.
Overall in my opinion the safe way to go is Japanese and Korean made vehicles with a caution on late model Nissan products.
I recently switched out from a Chrysler and Ford to a Hyundai Elantra and an older Nissan Sentra and they are almost bullet proof when it comes to reliability and repairs.

I'd look at a Buick Regal, maybe you can find one with that turbo charged 4 cylinder.

I'd stay away from German cars if you want the low cents per mile that a Honda provides. You won't get that.

Thanks again for the replies.

I drove an Avalon a few years back. Actually really liked it a lot. If it were for wanting to get a four-cylinder for better mpg and reduced maintenance costs, I'd definitely consider it. I should mention that I'd like to get at least as good fuel economy as I do now, but preferably better.

Many of my colleagues tell me to get a Prius and just deal with it. My boss suggested leasing an electric car; outside of the insurance cost, leasing the least expensive Tesla S might not be that much more expensive than buying a $20,000 car and gas. It's not something I'm comfortable doing at this point, though.

Oh, and as far as brand/status/prestige is concerned, I don't have an ego to maintain. I've owned mostly "mainstream" cars - Chevrolet, Geo, Honda, Mazda, Saturn, Toyota. Among my peer group and colleagues I often have the "worst" car and am known for my frugality, which has been really beneficial for me. So I'm not a brand snob by any means, even though I do like cars, and have read countless magazines and internet sites since I was a kid about automobiles. What I'm suffering from here is a bit of indecision, if you want to call it something; I'm always good with advice for others, and have gone with people to buy their cars.

The working list is (and will shrink with some research):
Mazda6
Mazda3
Subaru Legacy
Buick Lucerne
Buick Verano
Buick Regal
Chevrolet Cruze
Lincoln MKZ
Ford Fusion
Nissan Altima
VW Passat
Buick LaCrosse
Toyota Camry
Honda Accord
Hyundai Elantra
Hyundai Sonata

Dohnuts, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one cheering for Buick here. They were grand cruisers when Buick specialized in that, and now they are really giving the imports some competition. I've driven the LaCrosse (very smooth, but it *seemed* a little cramped to drive because of that swooping center console). Never have driven a Verano, but when I sat in one on the dealer floor late last year, it seemed as solid and bank vault-like as the Regal does.

Any possibility of swapping in some better seats for your current Accord? That seemed like your major complaint.
New seats and maybe some sound deadening, if you're so inclined, and you would be miles ahead in saving$...

I swapped seats in my Civic as seeing how [censored] the stock ones were for longer drives. You could probably fit some Acura seats easily...

I have not driven the latest and greatest Japanese cars but what I don't like about them in general is the tin can ride and loud road noise on the highway. Now I know everything is redesigned for 14 but I can't imagine they are leaps and bounds better than the few year old ones.

Lexus if you get a real one, and Buick build better ridding more substantial cars. Fusions are a bit better in this area as well.

Last edited:
On your list I like the Mazda 6 and 3,Subaru, fusion, Altima, Accord, and all the Buicks. If I was in the market the Accord would probably be in the forefront for me or the Mazda 6 with added sound deadening. I would test drive the Camry but I would not expect it to be my favorite. JMHO.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I have not driven the latest and greatest Japanese cars but what I don't like about them in general is the tin can ride and loud road noise on the highway. Now I know everything is redesigned for 14 but I can't imagine they are leaps and bounds better than the few year old ones.

Lexus if you get a real one, and Buick build better ridding more substantial cars. Fusions are a bit better in this area as well.

I think this depends on which ones you look at. My Camry certainly doesn't feel like you describe Japanese cars to, neither did any of the other ones I test drove. Over the last ten years the average Japanese sedan has gotten a lot more substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back