Old Old headlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been wondering this forever. Those vintage cars with round headlights (example, BelAir or Pontiac Catalina) have a mirrored upper half. What is that for? Is it to reflect the light beamed forward to shoot out the bottom and blind oncoming traffic or does it increase the intensity?

Last edited:
dunno but my Harley has a chrome brow over the headlight, as well as both front running/turn signal lights. All have a gold eagle figure on top of each.

I think that's an anti-dazzle measure for heavy fog. Haven't seen one in ages, so I could be incorrect.

I think they were originally blackout covers during WW2 and carried on as a fashion/design statement.They probably also functioned as a way to not blind oncoming traffic.

I think its more stylish that anything else.At one time they actually offered a stainless overlay for round headlights to make them rectangular ("new" style).Bet that must have really cut the light output....

Yeah. I remember seeing WW2 trucks and jeeps with Eskimo slits covering their headlights. I wonder if the backside of those covers were mirrored to shoot out a more intense beam?

Those military blackout lights were absolutely worthless to see where you were going. only so others could see you, and barely at that. I know, I drove in a convoy once using them, and the night was very dark. Had to follow the truck in front dangerously close to keep him in sight. If not in sight would have run off "road". If he turned you had to guess how far to go to turn yourself, as you sure couldn't see where the road was.

Originally Posted By: urrlord
I think they were originally blackout covers during WW2 and carried on as a fashion/design statement.They probably also functioned as a way to not blind oncoming traffic.

What the OP's showing is definitely not a blackout or CD pattern.

Those bulbs were literally "blacked out" with just a small slit open. They were more to feel around and be seen within 50 feet.

These are half chromed, allow their full output downward, would be too reflective to oncoming light, and would get flagged by CD.

I'm pretty sure it's a fog pattern bulb.

I don't know why someone would put them on a show car, though, as that is not what Chrysler would have factory equipped.

Quote:
Those vintage cars with round headlights (example, BelAir or Pontiac Catalina) have a mirrored upper half. What is that for?
Just an add-on from the local auto parts store or J.C. Whitney. Never stock, and probably illegal.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
Those vintage cars with round headlights (example, BelAir or Pontiac Catalina) have a mirrored upper half. What is that for?
Just an add-on from the local auto parts store or J.C. Whitney. Never stock, and probably illegal.

+1 I had them on my '51 Ford.

That's what made me cooler than the rest of the guys ...
cool.gif

no different than the vinyl "eyebrows" I put on the headlights of the Neon. Pure Aesthetics.

not pure, but mostly. on that car the parts they covered didn't really do much as far as light distribution,But were the parts facing sunward, that took the brunt of the UV damage...
also "flowed" better with the panel lines,visually filling in the Bite the lamp assemblies took out of the hood
neoneyelid.jpg
<-Not My Car,Pic borrowed from an ebay seller's photobucket

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back