Can MotorGuards run FULLFLOW for Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have several of Ralph's converted MotorGuard Filters sitting around. These are the engine oil style with the external restrictor.

I have been wanting to add at least one of these to our 2004 Ford F-150 5.4l Auto transmission since we tow with the truck.

The cooler lines on the truck are slightly smaller than 3/8" so I'm debating installing 2 Motorguards in parallel without restrictors and running them as full flow in the cooler lines.

I know with the original 1/64" MotorGuard restrictor, I was measuring 1 quart per minute of engine oil through these filters at IDLE so without restrictors these units should flow lots of fluid.

So, other than eventually flow testing 2 of these in parallel, anyone have any thoughts or experience trying this?

Thanks

some auto transmissions use the cooled fluid going into the trans is used to lube the bearings. so my idea that restricting flow into the trans is NOT a good idea. i dont know if ford trans is like that, but my chrysler trans is. a good factory service manual should tell you what you need to know

You don't need to use two of them. Gary Allen (RIP) suggested running one in parallel with the transmission hoses. That way there is no restricted flow.

Thanks. I have them installed on our other cars in parallel to the cooler circuit like Gary suggests but since I have 3 spare complete units, I thought I'd just run them as full flow. I'm trying to maximize fluid capacity as well since it's a towing application.

This Ford truck has a factory thermostat between the trans and the coolers that maintains trans temps about 155F and it is viscosity based so I don't think a slight restriction in a cooler line would cause me any grief as there is always an open route back to the transmission.

I have enough Motorguards that I should be able to filter well with minimal restriction I think? I'm going to have to do some flow testing I think.

I have a factory service manual so good idea to have a look but not sure if the fluid path will be that obvious?

Give Ralph Wood a call and talk with him about it. He loves to talk about bypass filters. His phone # is 940 442 9857

I talked with him about three months ago. He's still kicking. He's like the rest of us -- getting older.

Thanks. Haven't spoke to Ralph in a few years but as soon as I thought about it, I realized Ralph would say "slower is better for filtration"...

So I think I'll just go the normal route and set one filter up as a bypass.

here is the latest info i have.
the old auto zone 2210 magenfine filter is no longer available at auto zone. BUT i did find the same thing as JX-160 brand-- ATP. at a real parts house uses 3/8" tube. ONLY use high pressure hose. SAE J1019 217 psi working. NOT fuel hose for a carb engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back