Which 5W-40 / 0W-40 shall I take and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I know the OP is in Europe. However, if someone in North America ever uses this thread for reference, another option you might have out of warranty is Mobil 1 5w-40 Formula M ESP. This is the ESP product for diesel Mercedes with spec 229.51. Sometimes it might be easier or not to find compared to the 5w-30 ESP product.

There is a thread somewhere where OP was trying to reduce carbon deposits and M1 5W40 ESP did not do any better then other oils in Audi 2.0T. Actually M1 5W30 ESP proved to leave least amount of deposits. That is actually reason why I went with 5W30ESP, not only because it looks good on paper.

This is good information. The 5w-30 ESP does look like a better product on paper too. It's flash point and pour point are better than then Formula M ESP. It probably has better base oils. I wish Amazon had it. I've been toying with the idea, since I go rather short OCIs, of using a ESP product to protect catalytic converter and reduce deposits even though my cars are not direct injected, it almost seems like a waste using high saps as I do since the oil ends up being drained around 5k miles max in my cars.

They do have it on Amazon, I ordered it (12 liter pack) for $99 2 weeks ago, got it in 4 days.

Thanks, yeah I prefer it to be "sold by amazon." They carry almost everything so I'm surprised they don't have it themselves. However, if I do switch, I will do like you and use a third party on amazon if I have to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In Europe, I think there is also a ESP version of 0w-40, so if it also has the approval, that would be another option.

I was about to suggest that.

Yeah, I forgot about 0W40. Though, M1 0W40 ESP does not meet VW 504.00/507.00. In EU this is what is required for FSI engines.
One more thing to consider, you live in Netherlands where climate is very mild. Actually, 5W30 would be preferable because you will reach operating temperature faster. Do not worry about protection. If 5W30 VW 504.00/507.00 is recommended for example Audi S4, then your Polo will not have issues.
I am using it in 2.0TSI engine, no issues at all, and here we have to deal with high sulphur content.

He lives in Germany i thought.

Well, same thing more or less
smile.gif

A big fan of Mobil 0w40, though i have only used NewLife and TurboDiesel not ESP, ESP is not in Costco so over £50 for 5 litres.

I have used Castrol Edge C3 5w30 and 5w40 in the Pathfinder amd BiLs Vectra which is a 2.2 direct injected petrol.

Would have no issue in using either manufacturers products.

Comma, Shell, Millers and Fuchs all do good products that would do the job nicely.Never used Liqui Moly stuff or know anybody that has.

I would likely buy from one of those brands based purely on price as long as it met my required specs.

Used a less well known, own brand oil, called CarLube in the correct C3 5w30 spec and the Pathfinder rattled like a good un. So known brands for me from now on.

Going to try Demon Oils for the nexf oci on the Jag as EuroCarParts have increased the price on 5w30 C1 and they sell it in 20 or 25 litre containers so good for 3 oci.

smile.gif

Netherlands is a bit flatter and people likw either caravans, chocolate sprinkles or a "schmmoke".

Germans are more litres of beer, quality meat products and have a strange habit of continually trying to take over Europe!

Originally Posted By: bigjl
smile.gif

Netherlands is a bit flatter and people likw either caravans, chocolate sprinkles or a "schmmoke".

Germans are more litres of beer, quality meat products and have a strange habit of continually trying to take over Europe!

Yeah I know, I did not refer to that
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BlackWidow
What do you think of Motul X-clean+ 5W-30 (VW504.00)?
This is also easily available here.

You can use it with no issues. 5W30 VW 504.00 is preferred oil anyway, Motul is one of best anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back