Homemade tire mouting lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little while back, someone asked me about tire mounting lubricant. What to use and where to get it. Not needing a large quantity I shared with him what I've been using for years. I feel like I may have created the best tire mounting lube ever, and should start manufacturing it lol

Anyway, for some reason I figured I would share it here in case anyone decides they need some. The old school backyard was was to simply use some dish soap and water. This is fine I guess, but water has its downsides with wheel coroasion etc. I took that idea and slightly changed it.

Through the years I've found this recipe to be perfect, and all Bitogers should just be able to make a trip to their garage.

Grab a jug of your favorite antifreeze/coolant and simply mix a little up with some car was soap ( or dish soap)

My thoughts are that it makes a slick enough formula to easily allow your bead to slide on to your wheel, plus we know that antifreeze is safe for your rubber ( think hoses ) and you get the nice benefit of corossiob resistance thanks to all the nice additives your antifreeze. The formula is not so slick that you have to worry about tire spinning, and dries realativly fast.

To sum it up:

Cheap and readily available
Alloy and steel wheel corossion protection ( Remember I live in Michigan)
Makes for easily mounting
Dries quickly

I've used this on automotive wheels and can vouch that oxidation formation on alloy wheels is much leas than when using our standard mounting paste or liquid lubricant.

That's it! Enjoy lol

And remember that Antifreeze is Highly Toxic to pets.......Or any other animal.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
And remember that Antifreeze is Highly Toxic to pets.......Or any other animal.

Yeah. Don't let them lick your tires.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I may try that this weekend!

Coolant isn't corrosive to aluminum either.

Exactly. Pretty nice feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back