Recommendations for Mid-size Sedan, 15-20K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers. I've been lurking for awhile, then joined and now seek your wisdom. What mid-size sedans are good in the $15-20K range? I would say used, no more than 3/4 years old.

I currently have a 2007 Honda Accord LX. I've owned a lot of different mid-size sedans over the years, and generally like to get as much mileage out of them as I can, or unless I find myself in a situation where it would be advantageous to get a newer car. Part of the reason I'm looking is because I received some marketing material from a local dealer who quoted a remarkable amount of money to buy my car in trade (I suspect the dealership I purchased it from sold my info), so I took it in and the trade in value was what they said it would be. I knew the used car market was strong...very strong apparently. The flip side is that a newer car isn't that much more money.

My drive is about 500 miles per week, so comfort, reliability, and low cost of ownership (fuel economy + maintenance) is important. There's a side road that I can take to get home, which is about 10 miles of winding road, but otherwise it's all local driving or highway; I'd say about a 15-85 mix. A comfortable, quiet interior is very important. Interior room is also important for me and for the family. I would prefer a solid cruiser over a "sporty" ride.

Upside to my current car: The Accord gets 30 mpg, and is quite reliable. It's the second Accord of this generation I've owned, so I'm pretty familiar with it. Very easy to drive.

Downside: Actually a lot noisier than I would prefer. There's road noise that might be sussed out by newer, quieter tires, but there's wind noise as well. The seat is only comfortable for me for about 30-40 minutes, and my commute takes about an hour, or more depending on traffic. It's as much the seat materials and design, but I also have longish legs and there isn't thigh support. Seating position is also imperfect; I previously had a 2005 EX-L which seemed better in these regards (maybe I was smaller and younger then?) but I had a slightly shorter commute as well. I'm also in a strange place where I want to improve the ICE but don't want to do so if I'm selling soon. In a new car I would want bluetooth at a minimum, and other features would be nice but not necessary.

So there's the usual suspects - I've owned Camrys and Accords. I can find certified used Camrys in that price range, but Accords are more difficult to find in that price range with low mileage. I'd like to keep mileage on the low side, preferably around 30k. The previous generation Fusions are advertised for the low end of my price range or less, although I haven't driven one yet.

I haven't started looking in earnest, and will probably buy in the next few months, assuming the used car trade in price holds steady for that time. If you could give me some candidates to look at, I'd be appreciative. I spend an inordinate amount of time reading about cars, but I seem to be suffering from a little bit of decision paralysis. In return, I will give reviews about the cars I look at.
laugh.gif

I really like the Camry...but I think you have alot of options..Mazda 6, accord, maybe some other domestics..but I always prefer the japanese cars..camry, legacy etc..

I would say a June 2012 or later Chevy Cruze, it's quiet and mileage is decent.
Mid 2012's got a higher top gear...

Air Conditioning is mediocre at best. Noisy fan, only four settings, 3 and 4 are very loud. Back seat A/C is a total fail.

Sound system on 13's and up, no CD slot...

New 2104 Camrys in my part of the world sell for around 19k for the L model. Don't know about California

Boy, the mid sized sedan market is really full of very good cars and I'd have to say that you can't go wrong with any of the options available.

No one can pick for you but, finding a car that fits your criteria is really up to you. I find the Altima 2.5 to be one of the more comfortable & quiet cars in this class and the MPG is competative as well with the direct steering/braking that I particularly like in a car.

Quote:
I find myself in a situation where it would be advantageous to get a newer car. Part of the reason I'm looking is because I received some marketing material from a local dealer who quoted a remarkable amount of money to buy my car in trade
Please be aware that this is completely fake! I am still getting similar letters telling my that my 1999 Honda Odyssey is in high demand and they really need my van. Any such marketing material arriving at your house should be used as fuel for your fireplace.

Getting back to your requirements, getting fuel efficient car with very little road noise is going to be the tough one. Expensive cars which have loads of sound deadening material usually don't get great gas mileage as the cars which are smaller and have less bulk. You should see if your current Accord can be fitted with better rubber resulting in lower road noise that what you are getting today.

Have a look at the domestics just for the seating. It seems that a shorter seat cushion is more of a japanese car issue. My Dad complains of the same thing in most japanese cars.
To get a good adjustable seat, you probably will have to go to a used car to stay under $20k, but maybe a new base Camry seat will work for you, need to try it out.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Get a Buick Lucerne.

^^Those are NICE cars!

Yes; should be quiet and comfortable.

I'm enjoying the ride and handling of my '11 Buick Regal, the seats in which I find comfortable for my 30-40 minute commute. My 70% city driving mpg is hovering around 23. "Sporty," yes, but a pleasure to commute in (in CXL trim; the Turbo and GS models may not be as comfortable for you).

So you may want to look at Buick. The smaller Verano and larger LaCrosse, which replaced the Lucerne, are also interesting choices, though the LaCrosse may not be down in your price range yet.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Have a look at the domestics just for the seating. It seems that a shorter seat cushion is more of a japanese car issue. My Dad complains of the same thing in most japanese cars.
To get a good adjustable seat, you probably will have to go to a used car to stay under $20k, but maybe a new base Camry seat will work for you, need to try it out.

I have found the same to be true in the smaller Japanese cars. My Corolla had a very short seat cushion. My Camry's seat cushion was much larger. I don't recall sitting in the front of an Accord from that generation, but our 2008 CR-V's seat cushions are large enough...I've always found Honda seats to be pretty comfortable. Our MDX's seats are sublime.

A recommendation, though, if looking at Japanese cars: find one with a power driver's seat. I don't know why, but they always seem to be this way: you can adjust the height of the manual seat, but it seems to tilt the seat forward at the same time. You can't just raise it up. I find that pretty uncomfortable, and that was just one of the factors that went into me trading my Camry for the CR-V. The Camry was a base model without the power seat. I test-drove a CR-V EX with the manual seat, but didn't care for it. I thought I was done looking at CR-Vs. Then I drove an EX-L with the power seat, and said, "ahhhh, now THIS feels good."

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
In that price range you should be able to get a CPO BMW. A 5'er would be a nice upgrade for you.

+1 and
Mazda6

In that price range you should be able to get a CPO BMW. A 5'er would be a nice upgrade for you.

Are they somehow cheaper in Canada?

Around here, CPO 5-series start at around $22K, but that'll only get you a 2009 with a boatload of miles, which means very little of the CPO warranty left.

The decent ones are in the $30-40K range.

I'd say Mazda6, but you want quieter. Maybe the Cruz eco?

Definitely get something with good mpgs for CA gas prices and 500 mi/week!!!

Mazda6 + sound deadening...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Are they somehow cheaper in Canada?

Around here, CPO 5-series start at around $22K, but that'll only get you a 2009 with a boatload of miles, which means very little of the CPO warranty left.

The decent ones are in the $30-40K range.

Apparently, LOL! They start at 17K here.

- 2008 528xi - 70,000 miles, $17,176.00
- 2007 525i - 60,000 miles, $17,445.00
- 2008 528i - 70,000 miles, $17,605.00
- 2008 535xi - 60,000 miles, $18,900.00
..etc. There are plenty more.

All certified for 6 years or 160,000Km (100,000 miles).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How can you have a CPO 2007? That would make it a 7-year-old car.

But anyway, I think I need to buy my next BMW in Canada.
smile.gif

I have no idea, LOL! They are listed as certified pre-owned and have a 160,000Km (total) warranty. Or 6 years, whichever comes first
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back