Bosch D+ Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having made the switch to Bosch D+ filters last year and finding torn filter media in the last Bosch Premium I had in service, I felt the need to start swapping the Bosch filters out of the fleet.

This was the first D+ filter removed yesterday from a 2003 GMC Safari. The filter was in service for 1919 miles. Vehicle has 131k miles and the engine is filled with PP 5w-30.

Not much to see. I didn't expect to see anything unusual. The filter element is just starting to get that Bosch waviness and while not torn at the seam it certainly looks a bit stressed.

Bottom End:

Top End:

Date Code:

This filter was replaced with a Baldwin B35-S.

How good are the Baldwin filters? I'm just curious since the Purolator tears are slightly concerning me and I may switch to that B35-S.

I actually think the pleat to the left of the seem on the bottom, in the 1st pic is broken loose from the gluing.
Am I wrong?
That's crazy if it is, on a distance + with less than 2k miles!

Also, why does the pleat spacing look so close on the 1st pic but more spaced apart on the 2nd? Especially to the left of the seem

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Paranoia will Destroy ya

Had this song going through my head all day.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
I actually think the pleat to the left of the seem on the bottom, in the 1st pic is broken loose from the gluing.
Am I wrong?
That's crazy if it is, on a distance + with less than 2k miles!

Media is still attached to the end caps.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
Also, why does the pleat spacing look so close on the 1st pic but more spaced apart on the 2nd? Especially to the left of the seem

I flipped the filter element over for each photo.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Having made the switch to Bosch D+ filters last year and finding torn filter media in the last Bosch Premium I had in service, I felt the need to start swapping the Bosch filters out of the fleet.

This was the first D+ filter removed yesterday from a 2003 GMC Safari. The filter was in service for 1919 miles. Vehicle has 131k miles and the engine is filled with PP 5w-30.

Not much to see. I didn't expect to see anything unusual. The filter element is just starting to get that Bosch waviness and while not torn at the seam it certainly looks a bit stressed.

Bottom End:

Top End:

Date Code:

This filter was replaced with a Baldwin B35-S.

and they charge 12$ for them ... WOW

What filter did you replace it with?

Give / think about giving FRAM TOUGH GAURD a try or some thought.

Look at the one I just cut open wiht 5K miles......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
How good are the Baldwin filters? I'm just curious since the Purolator tears are slightly concerning me and I may switch to that B35-S.

Balwins are suppose to be very good from what I read and what I have been told and from the cut opens... However I have never used one.

I really like FRAM TOUGH GAURD.....

Thanks for the pics. I have been running the D+ on my Odyssey on and off for a few oil changes and was also concerned about the recent tears. I have a few used ones int eh recycle pile that I might cut open...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back