Purolator 14610 and Bosch 3330 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are from Hondas and around 5k interval.
Black Classic
Red Bosch

n70h0h.jpg

160wj7d.jpg

v3nnsk.jpg

292w47a.jpg

LOTS of pleat spacing at the seam, but not much V-spread at the ends of the pleats, which is why there were not media tears on these (that I can see).

Is it my imagination, or is there a torn pleat on the last 2 pictures (Bosch) on the left side, just below the crimp? That metal crimp design has GOT TO GO!

The pleat nearest the crimp on the Classic does not appear to have been glued in a straight line.

Clearly the oil pressure is making the pleats that have the largest gaps to the adjacent pleats bend. But the lack of a V shape is preventing them from tearing like others.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Is it my imagination, or is there a torn pleat on the last 2 pictures (Bosch) on the left side, just below the crimp? That metal crimp design has GOT TO GO!

Here is a close up of his filter pic. Yep, it's a tear, just like the others.

Sad to say it looks like a tear in the large V of the Classic filter, bummer. Did I miss what the mileage was on the filter and what oil was used?

Whimsey

That's a good closeup because at first I thought the pleat had shifted, then thought it was glued wrong.

But you are right.

Just a point of information, the expanded view pic above apparently showing a tear is of the L14610 with the black nitrile adbv.

Imo, I think only the OP can say if Bosch 3300 has one too. I don't specifically see one in the pics.

It is a good reminder to people when you cut open a filter look very carefully for tears. They can be easy to miss if you don't look very closely (I almost missed the tears that I reported).

Sorry should have clarified yes the larger close up of the tear is on the Classic I didn't notice any on the Bosch.

The Bosch had a one really small tear. I think they were D and E date code.
I have a bucket full of used Bosch/Puro that I might cut open soon.

Originally Posted By: Sam2000
The pleat nearest the crimp on the Classic does not appear to have been glued in a straight line.

Clearly the oil pressure is making the pleats that have the largest gaps to the adjacent pleats bend. But the lack of a V shape is preventing them from tearing like others.

wait, if the oil pressure goes up making the pleats create gaps.. shouldnt the bypass kick in?

I know you didnt say oil pressure go up.. but if oil pressure caused this it would be most likly b.c if to much pressure and you would think the bypass would kick in.

Bypass probably is kicking in-but not quickly enough, and repeated pushing of the too-wide pleats & weak-[CENSORED] media on the metal crimped seamed Puro Classic & Bosch filters are tearing them. Worst thing is, I've probably got 20 of these in my stash that are too junky to use.

I added these to the spreadsheet. Date code would be nice.

Also, I assume the Bosch is a 3323 and not a 3330. There are no Honda applications for 3330.

just stinks about all these purolator tears i wonder if they know exactly why this is happening... i have been using these for years

i just cut open an L14610 of my wifes 2010 crv @ 5300 mile interval using mobil 1 0w20 and there were no tears

date code on top of filter is F06E14E2 so you guys know

20140501_091529_zpspoucxooj.jpg

20140501_091542_zps0wbybkvs.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back