Fix Corrosion on Wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 5th towncar wheel and will be swapping all five of the mud tires to my Cherokee to the towncar wheels (less backspacing).

Is there a way to clean the corrosion on this? Not a big deal if not. It's for a Jeep that goes off road.

10153047_766050443633_2069796489335155086_n.jpg

The clearcoat is failing. You need to strip the wheel and refinish it. There are shops that specialize in this for about $125 out the door.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's a $25 wheel.

I may see if I can sand it down and re-clear.

I would scratch that idea. It would take forever, and never look like new anyway, or hold up. Just find someone to blast them, and powder coat, and you won't look back and wish you would have done that in the first place.

I've never done it, but would aircraft stripper work to remove the clear and allow you to recoat with something else?

Just an idea if media blasting isn't an option.

I'd not care its mud tires on a jeep... However I WOULD pull those tires off and do the bead seating area of the rim.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I'd not care its mud tires on a jeep... However I WOULD pull those tires off and do the bead seating area of the rim.

I have 4 matching towncar wheels on my snow tires for the Jeep. I am going to (hopefully) be swapping them over this weekend. Definitely will be cleaning up the bead area.

I want to be lazy and bring to walmart but have dropped enough money on the Jeep. So doing it by hand. 9 tires in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back