Lee oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at champion labs site and i noticed that they do not have lee filters listed anymore just champ and kleener.
Does anyone know what happened to lee?
Did champion labs sell lee filters?

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen Lee filters since Trak Auto went out of business about 5 years ago. IIRC, they carried the Lee Maxi line of oil filters. As I recall, they were pretty good filters too.

Champ puchased Lee filters in the 70's(??). Moved their equipment to Illinois.

They have discontinued the Lee line to sell the more popular STP. Champ has always made STP.

Champ, Warner, STP and Luberfiner are the only "brands" Champ markets themselves. Everything else is private label.

Luberfiner is a more a heavy duty filter brand and is marketed worldwide. It competes with Baldwin, Donaldson, and Fleetguard.

What I liked about Lee filters "not knowing anything at the time " was Lee filters had a filtered bypass . I don't know how it worked but I thought it was a good idea . Also, I remember STP oil filters had some kind of yarn wrapped around the enement according to the picture on the box.

I think I used Lees mostly on my 71 Valiant until I traded it on an 81 Phoenix. PITA, on the 318 the filter was lengthwise above the torsion bar.

I think I ran mostly AC's or Purolators on the Phoenix, but may have abused it with Fram. Can I blame Fram for the sludge problem?

Lee is a name from the past. I use to use them in the late 60's early 70's. I bought them at Sears. As I recalled they also carried STP at the same time in Sears. But I've not seen that name for decades.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by davidfarming:
Lee is indeed a name from the past. Does anyone remember the marketing jingle "Lee 2-stage oil filters"?

"Lee 2 stage maxifilter" was the only filter I ever had leak at the seal. Had a 1980 Datsun at the time.
cheers.gif

Anyone remember Jackie Stewart as Lee's tv spokesman?

When I did the marketing for Champ I had the tv tapes..
tongue.gif

I remember buying lee maxi oil filters from trak auto a few years ago i have not seen Lee filters anywhere else since then.
It was just last year that i saw there 3 brands on champ labs site Lee,Champ and Kleener.
So they dumped lee filters to the junk graveyard huh!

There also was a tire named "LEE",of course no relation to the filter line.I always thought it funny if somebody had General brand on the fronts and LEE on the rears,they'd have a General Lee!

Originally Posted By: davidfarming
Lee is indeed a name from the past. Does anyone remember the marketing jingle "Lee 2-stage oil filters"?

The jingle was actually "Lee two stage maxi filters, you can count on Lee".
Used a bunch of these back in the day.
Haven't seen the brand in at least a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back