Those Darn Noisy Michelins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Discount Tire monitors this site...

Discount Tire: please build a store in Fayetteville, NC. You'll make a killing selling tires here. Have your store ready in about a year-and-a-half, when I'm ready to re-tire our Honda, and I'll be one of your first customers.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Discount Tire: please build a store in Fayetteville, NC. You'll make a killing selling tires here. Have your store ready in about a year-and-a-half, when I'm ready to re-tire our Honda, and I'll be one of your first customers.

Thank you.

I am done with DT when I bought Michelin's Pilot Super Sport. I specifically said I do not want DOT to be older then 6 months, they sold me tires 1 1/2 years old.
Learned long time ago, if you want fresh tire, order online on Costco web site and get them there. I ordered in Costco so far 8 sets of tires, non was older more then 2-3 months.

Thank you.

lol.gif
It would be nice if they are monitoring this site. Not to rub it in but I now have two DT's within 10 miles. Since they came to area I haven't purchased tires elsewhere. Very professional dedicated tire sales and service, and unmatched service after the sale in my experience, no membership fee required. At some point, maybe they'll consider expanding south from Raleigh. Would seem Fayetteville demographics would support a couple stores.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Thank you.

I am done with DT when I bought Michelin's Pilot Super Sport. I specifically said I do not want DOT to be older then 6 months, they sold me tires 1 1/2 years old.
Learned long time ago, if you want fresh tire, order online on Costco web site and get them there. I ordered in Costco so far 8 sets of tires, non was older more then 2-3 months.

18 month old tires are not too old. I can't imagine how much tires would cost if everyone demanded 6 month old, or newer tires, and all the suppliers had to scrap all the new tires that are more than fine. They are not like day old donuts.

Originally Posted By: Traction

Thank you.

18 month old tires are not too old. I can't imagine how much tires would cost if everyone demanded 6 month old, or newer tires, and all the suppliers had to scrap all the new tires that are more than fine. They are not like day old donuts.

There are two reasons why I do not want old tires:
1. I like fresh tire, it is just my preference.
2. The way the store tires. Proper storing of tires is: on wheels horizontal, one on top of other. Without wheel: vertical. Every DT I went to check for tires store tires without wheels on top of each other to save space.
That is not only DT, Costco does same thing. But when I order online, tire is shipped from manufacturer. I bought once Bridgestone tires that were 2 weeks old through Costco.

Interesting, at all the DT stores I've frequented in this area the majority of the inventoried tires are stored in a vertical orientation like the DT store in the link below.* Only horizontal ones I've seen are those being special delivered and awaiting installation.

And if I wanted a tire no older than 6 months, I'd tell them I want to check them before installation, or no sale. Based on my experience if they didn't have them, they would/could get them for you but you might have to wait a day or two. That said, I've never had tire older then 6 months installed by DT.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2008/09/08/focus6.html?page=all

Thank you.

As informed by my local Costco tire center GM
"We have a strict 1 year to the week tire sale policy."
Say a tire was made with a 1813 date code
If that tire isn't sold in the next 3 days, it's not sold or installed, and is sent back.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Thank you.

As informed by my local Costco tire center GM
"We have a strict 1 year to the week tire sale policy."
Say a tire was made with a 1813 date code
If that tire isn't sold in the next 3 days, it's not sold or installed, and is sent back.

Those are tires in stock!
What I was referring is tires you order online on Costco. Due to specific dimensions that are not quite present on the road, they do not have them in stock. I would order online and manufacturer would ship it to local Costco.
When I bought for my previous car Bridgestone Potenza they were like 2 1/2 weeks old. I purchased Bridgestone Blizzak's last fall, they were 2 months old (Made in japan) shipped from Bridgestone warehouse in Tennessee.
DT is good because you can ake deal. I had horrible Kumho tires on CC that I got with car when I purchased. 3 out of 4 tires developed flat spots. Guy in San Diego bought them from me (he sell's them in Mexico) and I got Pilot's for like $600 for 235/45 R17.

I am done with DT when I bought Michelin's Pilot Super Sport. I specifically said I do not want DOT to be older then 6 months, they sold me tires 1 1/2 years old.......

I'm just curious. Are you willing to pay extra for this? Would this be something that might sway you to buy at "Shop A" as opposed to "Shop B", even if "Shop A" is charging more?

If you're keeping those tires for more than 5 years I understand...if you're through with them after 3 years, I'd not worry so much...thought interestingly, when I got 2 pull-offs at a used tire shop (2 months after buying the car) to match the new pair up front the dealer had installed, they were the identical tire with a different name (varies by US market) and were made in the same FACTORY only 2 weeks apart, just 6 months earlier!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I am done with DT when I bought Michelin's Pilot Super Sport. I specifically said I do not want DOT to be older then 6 months, they sold me tires 1 1/2 years old.......

I'm just curious. Are you willing to pay extra for this? Would this be something that might sway you to buy at "Shop A" as opposed to "Shop B", even if "Shop A" is charging more?

Yeah, I am willing to pay for tire that is "fresh." I know that in that case tire was not stored improperly for long time , etc, etc.
That is why I am buying in Costco tires, though, difference is still minimal.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Well I posted last summer about the noise of the Michelin HydroEdge 205/55-16 tires on my aunt's 2004 TDI VW Beetle. The car is religiously maintained at the dealer but the tires were bought in late May of 2011 at 104,000 miles. It's coming up on 156,000 now. The tires have been rotated pretty well I would say, maybe one interval it was skipped but overall pretty good. The tread life has been amazing, tons of tread left (rated at 90,000 miles per Michelin) and they handle and corner fantastic. They also have absolutely no weather cracks either (garaged). The thing we (I drive the car often as well) can't stand about these tires is how loud they are! Even on surface streets and especially freeway driving it has got to be the most annoying thing. They were very noisy and had a little vibration due to one tire "cupping" a little bit according to Discount Tire. The suspension on this car is great, and had $2,000 worth of front end work last year at the dealer, so I know it's good. The tire that is cupping was a replacement at about 116,000 due to road hazard replacement. Personally I believe this tire is defective because even after rotating several times after it's replacement it's the only tire that is cupping. When it is on the front of the car that is when it is REALLY loud. Last summer we went on a road trip for 2 weeks and did about 4,800 miles. We took the car to Discount Tire before and during the trip and I tried to get them to replace it because I couldn't stand the noise and they wouldn't replace it due to cupping that that was most likely due to the car. I still don't believe this and Discount Tire is still no help at all. That tire has been on the back since October at about 151,000 miles. Now at almost 156,000 I took it in for a rotate and balance and once again with that odd ball tire up front it was extremely noisy on the highway (which this car sees mostly) and had them rotate back. I am done with rotating tires on this set of tires.

I'm leery about going back to Discount Tire for the next set and am leery about going back to Michelin for the next set as well. Discount Tire also tells me that they are known to be loud tires and I have to live with it. Obviously we weren't told this when we bought them, we didn't sign up for loud tires. I'd like a set of Michelin Defenders because of the mileage rating but with have such a high mileage rating does this make these tires susceptible to being loud as well? Is Big O Tires any better than Discount as far as customer service?

I emailed Michelin last summer and last week complaining about the tires and they never call or email me back.

Sorry about the long post, I just HATE this set of tires lol.

The first 2 sets of tires were Continental ContiProContact's from the dealership and they lasted 50k, wasn't very impressed.

Thanks guys

Apart from the cupping if you don't like the Hydroedge's stay away from the Defender's, we have a set on our 2004 T&C with ~17K miles and they are getting harder and harder and the differencein noise between road surfaces is getting greater and greater, they are wearing well, correction they are not wearing, dry grip excellent, wet grip great too, I'm disappointed because I specifically wanted a quiet and plush tire and that was what the people were reporting at Tire Rack and other websites, granted, it was a fairly new tire when bought, less than a year since introduction but since then a lot of people are reporting the same issues and others; also they are very prone to punctures, any sharpie thing will penetrate the carcass too so be aware of that.

I've got defenders on the CRV. So far they've been great....the truck has Dualer Revos 2 and are noisy. Although I'm getting close to 50K miles with 6/32" thread left and the wear isn't even the tires may need to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I've got defenders on the CRV. So far they've been great....the truck has Dualer Revos 2 and are noisy. Although I'm getting close to 50K miles with 6/32" thread left and the wear isn't even the tires may need to be replaced.

...and this is the fault of the tire?

Last edited:
Just yesterday I was passed by a pickup whose tires DRONED like a bee-hive...THAT noisy humming was tread design for sure, not like the grinding noise I get on some surfaces...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back