OIL - Why do you choose what you choose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
What is the single most important factor in your oil purchase decision?

Last edited:
1. Reputation
2. Price

I have owned 3 100k+ and 2 200k+ mileage vehicles with no oil related problems using M1. Nuff said for me.
I know you said "single most" but there is no one deciding factor for me.

Last edited:
I'll say past experience right now.

My older vehicles use Mobil Super 5k, the newer, Mobil 1. I've been using Mobil products for over 30 years and never had an oil related failure.

Price.
I only bought name brands dino and syn when it was on sale with rebate(s). My 1994 LS400 with more than 380k miles had various oil brands in both dino and syn. As of now no engine problem what-so-ever. The MB E430 only had syn, S2000 had syn and dino.

After 20 years and 380k miles the LS400 body parts, interior and exterior, are falling apart, but engine and transmission are in good working condition.

FAR is always good.
I have many changes of FAR syns in my stash.
My only cost was sales tax and postage.
I also have some syns where I actually made a couple of pennies all in.
Good oils cheap are always a good choice and are the only valid reason to build a stash.

Motorcraft for a Ford:

1. Reputation. Confirmed by UOAs

2. Price (at the Quicklane place)

3. Availability.

4. Extended warranty preservation.

OTOH picked up some M-1 EP for wife that I saw on sale at Wal-Mart. Everyone likes a bargain.

I make oil purchases based firstly on whether the oil meets the requirements set forth by my engine manufacturer.

Secondly, I look for additional approvals that the oil carries from other manufacturers. The more approvals that a oil carries the better I like it.

And thirdly, I will narrow the oil brands down and then choose based on price.

For me there is no ONE most important factor in choosing an oil. Its the combination of factors that I base my oil choice off.
For me, I like an oil with a good add pack, light on start up, synthetic, and available at a good price. TGMO fits the bill for me.

Price. SM, SN oils are fantastic. Actually SL was the beginning of obsoleting differentiating between different brands. SM, SN made choosing major brands even less unnecessary.

Originally Posted By: wemay
What is the single most important factor in your oil purchase decision?

For me there is not a single most important factor. For the truck its reputaion, i use qsud for summer towing. In the hyundai its reputation also, it gets pen platinum. The olds and older saturn get nextgen hm since they are old cars and the saturn uses oil, i also got it for $1 quart. The low mileage saturn is not using oil so it gets pen ultra to keep the ring packs crud free.

Its a decision of expense and age of cars.

PZ Ultra because it lives up to it's claims providing excellent protection and cleaning abilities, has incredibly low NOACK and was on clearance at WM when I built my stash...

Price.

Most of the time...the oil that's in the cars now was bought for between $1 and $2 a quart. As I run out of that - I will shop more sales. I do buy Mobil 1 0w40, on sale, but not at a killer price, because I choose to run that alone in the V-12.

Climate. -35 starts in winter and and 105 in summer.

Protection.

Extended drain (10k and 1 year)

Amsoil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back