Dodge Caravan to be discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why its still called Caravan,Its actually Grand Caravan.Caravan has been gone since 2007 model year ended.

When the Dodge Caravan was first introduced for the (I believe) 1984 model year, Chrysler called a big press conference to show the media the new Caravan. The reporters were waiting and the new Caravan rolled up in front of the reporters with Lee Iococca in it. The engine shuts down and Mr. Iococca tries to get out of the van to greet the reporters and answer questions....except he couldn't get out. The door was stuck and he had to exit the van from a diffent door.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Dodge Caravan to cease in 2016

Remember how cool the "garageable van" was in 1984? It was cool enough that Ferris Bueller's mom drove one in the movie.

Fast forward to last week: My wife thanked me for opposing her desire to purchase a minivan after our daughter was born in 1997. Between 1984 and 1997, the whole minivan concept went from ooh to ugh. And it has gotten ugh-er since.

Not sure why people would be upset that it's being discontinued

Kinda silly to have 2 of the same car with different names being produced, especially when they aren't very different. Chrysler version has some more chrome, usually leather, and, that's about it.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Remember how cool the "garageable van" was in 1984? It was cool enough that Ferris Bueller's mom drove one in the movie.

Fast forward to last week: My wife thanked me for opposing her desire to purchase a minivan after our daughter was born in 1997. Between 1984 and 1997, the whole minivan concept went from ooh to ugh. And it has gotten ugh-er since.

Gotta disagree on this one. We own a 6 year old Honda Odyssey "mini-van"... there is not a more practical car on the planet for a family. Seating for 6 + , carries a ton of sfuff in a pinch, ok mileage, power side doors are fantastic...

And anyone who thinks an SUV is somehow different from every van / station wagon etc is simply in denial. SUVs are tall station wagons, nothing more...just like our minivan is!

Mini-van = box with engine and 4 wheels. If you need one, buy one. If you need/want a Ferrari, don't buy one. Mini-vans are service appliances. If they threaten someone's manhood that's their problem. I love 'em.

Like pick up trucks, I wish sparse ones were available. Kira

Originally Posted By: dave1251
But it had a good run.

It took several transmissions tho.... 8)

Can't malign it much for having created an entire new vehicle class that others rushed to match.

Originally Posted By: geeman789

Gotta disagree on this one. We own a 6 year old Honda Odyssey "mini-van"... there is not a more practical car on the planet for a family. Seating for 6 + , carries a ton of sfuff in a pinch, ok mileage, power side doors are fantastic...

And anyone who thinks an SUV is somehow different from every van / station wagon etc is simply in denial. SUVs are tall station wagons, nothing more...just like our minivan is!

+1 If anything, they're becoming more appealing, as attractive, practical alternatives to cute ut's and less purpose-built SUV's

Ferris Bueller's mom didn't have a minivan. She drove a Chrysler Lebaron station wagon.
pdvd_589.1.jpg

My Girlfriend, now Ex-wife, in high school had a brown with wood grain 84 Caravan with the Mitsubishi 2.6. I love the van, especially when the rear seats were removed.
smile.gif

I still see some 1984 models rolling around here. They're in great condition so obviously some people consider the first ones collectibles.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
My Girlfriend, now Ex-wife, in high school had a brown with wood grain 84 Caravan with the Mitsubishi 2.6. I love the van, especially when the rear seats were removed.
smile.gif

I know a friend who still drives on of these, but it has the Mitsubishi V6. Still running.

So that just leaves us the Quest, Sienna, Sedona, and Odyssey. Gotta wonder who will drop out next. (I don't count the Mazda5, as they market it as an MPV)

Originally Posted By: geeman789

I'm perfectly happy to get a minivan from the motor pool. Comfort, visibility, mileage, and with a Pentastar V-6, loads of power. They handle a lot better than most SUVs. The Grand Caravan with the Pentastar is one of the best bargains in the automotive world. http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/dodge/grand-caravan-pricing/2014/EEC9B63D/

A lot of people have psychiatric issues with minivans. A lot of people are afraid of spiders, too, but they don't brag about it. These can be very capable vehicles. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/11/review-2011-chrysler-town-country/

Not a more practical car for an old person, either. The big doors make it easy for arthritic people to get in and out and sliding doors are helpful in tight parking spaces.

I see this as a price increase by Chrysler. They don't want to give away a vehicle like that for $19K. So now its only in the Town and Country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back