Amsoil CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Dealer markup maybe? I have heard of $400 CVT fluid changes at the dealer.

$400 for a fluid change, and they still won't go 100K miles without failing.

Says who?

My dealer charges $189 for a drain and refill. $400 is probably about right for a full flush, since the fluid costs $15-$20/qt and you need 15 quarts. The service is generally unnecessary though, since you need to check the CVT fluid deterioration value using the factory scan tool in order to determine the need for a fluid change...it is not uncommon for the fluid to be good for well over 100k.

The failure stories are way overblown. Sure, they may have been some issues with the early Murano trannys, but some of those CVT failures were attributed to leaking CVT fluid due to a bad seal between the tranny and the transfer case, causing fluid loss.

Nissan has stood behind the transmissions very well with the 10/120k warranty, and based on the sales and overall experiences reported with the mass-produced 07-12 Altima, the CVT has been very successful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Dealer markup maybe? I have heard of $400 CVT fluid changes at the dealer.

$400 for a fluid change, and they still won't go 100K miles without failing.

Says who?

My dealer charges $189 for a drain and refill. $400 is probably about right for a full flush, since the fluid costs $15-$20/qt and you need 15 quarts. The service is generally unnecessary though, since you need to check the CVT fluid deterioration value using the factory scan tool in order to determine the need for a fluid change...it is not uncommon for the fluid to be good for well over 100k.

The failure stories are way overblown. Sure, they may have been some issues with the early Murano trannys, but some of those CVT failures were attributed to leaking CVT fluid due to a bad seal between the tranny and the transfer case, causing fluid loss.

Nissan has stood behind the transmissions very well with the 10/120k warranty, and based on the sales and overall experiences reported with the mass-produced 07-12 Altima, the CVT has been very successful.

The problem is the NEW CVT that came out in 2013 is having a ton of shudder problems.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

The problem is the NEW CVT that came out in 2013 is having a ton of shudder problems.

And frankly there were problems before that - that you and I know were mostly caused by the fluid itself.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Typical Amsoil salesman speak.

Sure, the mfg may technically be in "violation" of the act, but good luck with escalating the matter with Nissan.

While you are busy fighting them on the issue, your vehicle is out of service and you are majorly inconvenienced.

The sad part is that if the person had simply left the ORIGINAL fluid in the transmission, there would've been no issue at all.

As usual, avoidance is generally the better strategy. And besides, there's nothing to suggest that better anti-shudder protection of the fluid will fix the issue...that is pure speculation on your part.

When in doubt throw the salesman thing out there. I'm not pretending to be a know it all on this situation. But I do know one thing, for every one rare warranty delay situation, there are thousands of cases when the dealers immediately back down.

I'm not sure why you are so against seeking a better solution. I mean when you turn into Mr. Detail, I'm pretty sure you are not just following what the factory says. You've done nothing but disparage Amsoil, and the new CVT fluid when in reality you know nothing about it. Amsoil seeks a BETTER than solution. In both Engineering and real life avoidance is NOT always a better solution. In fact AVOIDANCE is sometimes the worst decision ever.

I would say much of the shudder is indeed caused by a low bidder inferior factory fluid. Why anyone would be satisfied with that as a internet armchair proposed solution seems seriously weak at best.

Quote:
Despite the wear comparison on the page, I am still a bit skeptical of this fluid given the wide range of applications that it is suitable for.

I think that the additive suppliers have this wide range fluid applicability down to a science, well that is really what is, science.

Quote:
CVTs live-and-die by the correct fluid -- the belts are HIGHLY dependent upon very specific frictional properties in order to survive.

Belts are dependent upon the correct Traction coefficient.

Quote:
The coefficient of traction is defined as the usable force for traction divided by the weight on the running gear (wheels, tracks etc.)[5][6] i.e.:

Usable Traction = Coefficient of Traction x Normal Force

Factors affecting coefficient of traction[edit]
Traction between two surfaces depends on several factors:

Material composition of each surface.

Macroscopic and microscopic shape (texture; macrotexture and microtexture)

Normal force pressing contact surfaces together.
Contaminants at the material boundary including lubricants and adhesives.

Relative motion of tractive surfaces - a sliding object (one in kinetic friction) has less traction than a non-sliding object (one...)

Check WIKI.

I just wish Amsoil would introduce a low viscosity (6.1 cSt@100C, 38 cSt@40C) MTF.

If they want to know how to do it or need a consultant, I know a guy who can help.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
The NS-3 fluid makes me wonder how similar/compatible they are. Subaru in particular isn't having any CVT issues at all. I wonder how their fluid compares to Nissan's NS-2 and NS-3?

Amsoil goes for the niche market, which makes sense for them. This is one fluid though I would probably not want to use. However, it's good there is the option if need be.

Originally Posted By: buster
The NS-3 fluid makes me wonder how similar/compatible they are. Subaru in particular isn't having any CVT issues at all. I wonder how their fluid compares to Nissan's NS-2 and NS-3?

Amsoil goes for the niche market, which makes sense for them. This is one fluid though I would probably not want to use. However, it's good there is the option if need be.

I believe that the Subaru is using a chain CVT and not a belt?

Just become a preferred member under Pablo (ZO# 515729). It will cost you $10 for 6 months and then you can buy the CVT fluid at wholesale prices. Just go to amsoil.com and click on the "Buy Wholesale" button on the top. Then click the green "Click here to Become a preferred customer" button. Add the 6 month trial for $10 to your cart and you will immediatly be able to price the CVT fluid at the wholesale prices. Here are the Canada shipping rates. When you check out you will be asked who referred you and just put ZO# 51572.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
Just become a preferred member under Pablo (ZO# 515729). It will cost you $10 for 6 months and then you can buy the CVT fluid at wholesale prices. Just go to amsoil.com and click on the "Buy Wholesale" button on the top. Then click the green "Click here to Become a preferred customer" button. Add the 6 month trial for $10 to your cart and you will immediatly be able to price the CVT fluid at the wholesale prices. Here are the Canada shipping rates. When you check out you will be asked who referred you and just put ZO# 515729.

Thanks for that. Note the # is 515729

Best would be as a PC just pick up here if not too far:

Toronto, ON
6625 Tomken Rd. Units 12-14
Mississauga, ON L5T 2C2

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I wonder how different the CVT fluid is compared to tractor fluild? Seems to have all the same basic requirements, with friction modifiers to prevent wet brake and clutch chatter.

Necro post but see:

Nissan CVT Fluid 1

and

Nissan CVT Fluid 2

These CVT fluids are very, very different from Step-Shift transmission fluids and tractor fluids.

Each application has a completely different set of requirements and additive chemstries.

None of these fluids are interchangeable across applications.

E.g, do not put a Step-Shift ATF fluid in a CVT or a tractor fluid in ANY AT transmission, or a CVT fluid in a Step-Shift transmission.

BTW, the Amsoil CVT fluid has been upgraded to cover Nissan's NS-3 CVT spec.

Last edited:
Amsoil has a great application guide with accurate specs on which product to use in which model of cars. I would highly advise using that. I have been using Amsoil oil and Transmission fluid for almost 2 decades and have tons of miles on original engines and transmissions without issues that are always spotlessly clean. They know their stuff that is for sure.

I would also highly recommend their CVT fluid over the Nissan fluid. When the CVT failures were happening in the first generation Nissan transmissions Amsoil studied the problem and developed a fluid based on their transmissions and it outperforms Nissan fluid hands down. They have pictures on their site showing the differences.

everything OE is manufactured to a price point for the profit desired!! aftermarket is similar + seeing Amsoils prices it should be better a LOT better!!! since they answer NO questions about the makeup of their lubes i QUIT using them, your $$$ + choice.

For the Nissan NS-3 crowd:
I did 2 spill-and-fills on an abused 80K mile 2015 Altima. Used Valvoline CVT fluid.
Really smoothed out that tranny.
Fluid was less that $10 per quart.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
For the Nissan NS-3 crowd:
I did 2 spill-and-fills on an abused 80K mile 2015 Altima. Used Valvoline CVT fluid.
Really smoothed out that tranny.
Fluid was less that $10 per quart.

I want to second this also.

A few months back, I went to Advance Auto Parts and was lucky to find Castrol CVT for $5 a bottle. I bought 5 and did a transmission fluid change on my 2008 Nissan Maxima. Car drives great. Transmission shifts like butter. Car has 243,500 miles on odometer as I am typing this. Plus, I am the original owner. I bought it brand new in 2008 and have changed the transmission fluid probably like 4 times now. This was the first time I have used something else other than Nissan CVT fluid.

I am sure Valvoline CVT fluid too would offer the same kind of protection.

I wish the day I had bought the fluid, I could have bought enough to change my fluid again like 6 months down the road just because I got it super cheap.

I used castrol cvt in my wife's Murano after the 10/120k warranty expired and it was fine for around 100k and I never had the dealer service it. My altima had dealer service at recommended intervals and it failed at 90k. Nissan never batted an eye and replaced it the next day. My wife's 2018 rogue has a cvt but feels nothing like the first ones, it actually shifts like a normal tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back