Which 5W-40 / 0W-40 shall I take and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I live in Germany and for a reasonable price I can buy the oils below.
Which shall I take and why?

Mobil 1 - New Life 0W-40
Shell - Helix Ultra (GTL)0W-40
Shell - Helix Ultra (GTL)5W-40
Castrol - Edge Titanium 0W-40

Thanks

Originally Posted By: BlackWidow
Hi, I live in Germany and for a reasonable price I can buy the oils below.
Which shall I take and why?

Mobil 1 - New Life 0W-40
Shell - Helix Ultra (GTL)0W-40
Shell - Helix Ultra (GTL)5W-40
Castrol - Edge Titanium 0W-40

Thanks

What type of car?

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is not in the list of the oils mentioned.
In addition, I prefer maximum protection.
I would also like to know your motivation why you Advise a specific oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlackWidow
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is not in the list of the oils mentioned.
In addition, I prefer maximum protection.
I would also like to know your motivation why you Advises a specific oil.

First, it is FSI engine, meaning it does not have indirect injection.
You live in EU, meaning that gas is ultra low sulphur, which means you do not need High-SAPS oil such as Shell 0W40 or 5W40, or M1 0W40. 5W30 is recommended oil for that car, Low-SAPS.
I think ANY Low-SAPS oil will do good, such as Shell Helix Euro L, Castrol LL-03 (OEM), Pentosin Super Pento III, etc. I personally like M1 ESP 5W30 because it has very high HTHS of 3.58 for 5W30 oil, it has flash point of 258c, very good pour point of -45. Low SAPS oil will prolong life of your catalytic converter etc.
You do not have Turbo engine, so do not worry about 5W30. M1 ESP 5W30 is almost as thick as some 5W40 oils. Shell Helix 5W40 is only 7-8% thicker then M1 5W30 ESP.

edyvw makes excellent points!

From your list, I would use Mobil 1 0w-40 as I have used this product a long time as have others and it is well respected.

Nevertheless, edyvw would probably sway me if it is allowed in your market to use the ESP oil, there seems to be a lot of reasons to use it.

In Europe, I think there is also a ESP version of 0w-40, so if it also has the approval, that would be another option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
In Europe, I think there is also a ESP version of 0w-40, so if it also has the approval, that would be another option.

I was about to suggest that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I was about to suggest that.

Yeah, I forgot about 0W40. Though, M1 0W40 ESP does not meet VW 504.00/507.00. In EU this is what is required for FSI engines.
One more thing to consider, you live in Netherlands where climate is very mild. Actually, 5W30 would be preferable because you will reach operating temperature faster. Do not worry about protection. If 5W30 VW 504.00/507.00 is recommended for example Audi S4, then your Polo will not have issues.
I am using it in 2.0TSI engine, no issues at all, and here we have to deal with high sulphur content.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Though, M1 0W40 ESP does not meet VW 504.00/507.00.

It does meet MB 229.51, which is a comparable spec. But if he's under warranty, then yeah, better find something that does officially carry the VW spec.

It does meet MB 229.51, which is a comparable spec. But if he's under warranty, then yeah, better find something that does officially carry the VW spec.

Yeah, I know it carries MB 229.51, VW 502.00. I am thinking he is under warranty that is why I think 5W30 might be better option. Also, Netherlands does not have extreme cold, nor have strong summers.
If they would offer 0W40 ESP here I would use it in a heart bit.

Yeah, I know it carries MB 229.51, VW 502.00. I am thinking he is under warranty that is why I think 5W30 might be better option. Also, Netherlands does not have extreme cold, nor have strong summers.

Odd that it's 502 and 229.51. I suspect it would work just fine though.

I know the OP is in Europe. However, if someone in North America ever uses this thread for reference, another option you might have out of warranty is Mobil 1 5w-40 Formula M ESP. This is the ESP product for diesel Mercedes with spec 229.51. Sometimes it might be easier or not to find compared to the 5w-30 ESP product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm

Odd that it's 502 and 229.51. I suspect it would work just fine though.

Most 5W40 oils that I saw are 229.51 and VW 502.00/505.01. 229.51 has higher SAPS then VW 504.00/507.00. Plus, VW 504.00/507.00 is only 5W30 or 0W30.

I know the OP is in Europe. However, if someone in North America ever uses this thread for reference, another option you might have out of warranty is Mobil 1 5w-40 Formula M ESP. This is the ESP product for diesel Mercedes with spec 229.51. Sometimes it might be easier or not to find compared to the 5w-30 ESP product.

There is a thread somewhere where OP was trying to reduce carbon deposits and M1 5W40 ESP did not do any better then other oils in Audi 2.0T. Actually M1 5W30 ESP proved to leave least amount of deposits. That is actually reason why I went with 5W30ESP, not only because it looks good on paper.

There is a thread somewhere where OP was trying to reduce carbon deposits and M1 5W40 ESP did not do any better then other oils in Audi 2.0T. Actually M1 5W30 ESP proved to leave least amount of deposits. That is actually reason why I went with 5W30ESP, not only because it looks good on paper.

This is good information. The 5w-30 ESP does look like a better product on paper too. It's flash point and pour point are better than then Formula M ESP. It probably has better base oils. I wish Amazon had it. I've been toying with the idea, since I go rather short OCIs, of using a ESP product to protect catalytic converter and reduce deposits even though my cars are not direct injected, it almost seems like a waste using high saps as I do since the oil ends up being drained around 5k miles max in my cars.

This is good information. The 5w-30 ESP does look like a better product on paper too. It's flash point and pour point are better than then Formula M ESP. It probably has better base oils. I wish Amazon had it. I've been toying with the idea, since I go rather short OCIs, of using a ESP product to protect catalytic converter and reduce deposits even though my cars are not direct injected, it almost seems like a waste using high saps as I do since the oil ends up being drained around 5k miles max in my cars.

They do have it on Amazon, I ordered it (12 liter pack) for $99 2 weeks ago, got it in 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back